PDA

View Full Version : Dell inspiron-windows issues.

cespinal
September 13th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Hello to all!

This may sound nonsense, but trust me, it has a lot of sense.

I come to you this time to ask for help with a windows-related issue.

I have been using only linux for more than a year now but I have not been able to make my g/f make the switch. Anyways,she tried to restart her Dell Ispiron (W Vista) once she noted that the keyboard has stopped working. the system gave like 6 or 7 beeps before booting a bootloader. As the keyboard was not working, she could not choose vista (as the only OS option available).

The only workaround for this was to hit Fkeys during bios booting. No bios menus appear but windows boots right away!... Nonetheless, keyboard is still nonexistent.

Why am I posting a windows problem here? because I know how supportive and open minded this community is... and how little help I have been able to find among windows users. Thank you.

PS: we already made an emergency backup, just in case. But I tell you... if this is not a hardware issue, Im wiping vista off her laptop :P

RabbitWho
September 13th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Did you check to see if it is a hardware issue or a Vista issue? Boot any live cd. You should still have yours as a recovery CD I assume..

cespinal
September 14th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Well... seems to be hardware issue. Tried to boot a Mint live-cd and the bios wont even let me open the boot menu in order to change the boot order.

It instead forces me to a windows bootloader which I'm unable to manage since the keyboard won't work..

cariboo
September 14th, 2009, 05:28 PM
I would suggest you connect an external keyboard to see if that confirms that the keyboard is dead.