PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How add windows 7 in grub?

MarcusA
September 13th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Hello, I have a dualboot with Ubuntu and just put windows 7 on it. I restored grub,so it won't just automatically sign into windows. But Windows 7 isn't showing up in grub at all?? :confused: It just gives Ubuntu as an option. Can someone help me on how to add windows 7 in grub? In easy language if you can :p

Thank you

MarcusA
September 13th, 2009, 05:37 PM
NVM, found out how it worked.. Thanx anyways :)

Baul
November 19th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Hi there

I would really appreciate some info on how you did that.

I am trying to boot both Win 7 ans Karmic and have run into a problem - i.e. no boot of Win 7 - I'm quite to prepared to try my best - but if there is a better way - I would very much appreciate the heads up.

Thanks in advance

Baul

drs305
November 19th, 2009, 03:53 PM
It would be great if someone using Win 7 would write a "HOWTO: Win 7 and GRUB 2" or "Win 7 and Dual Booting" tutorial so dual-booters could be pointed to a set of clear instructions.

There are a few posts around with the solution (I think) but having one placed in the Tutorials forum would be of great benefit to the many dual-booters out there.

darkod
November 19th, 2009, 04:03 PM
I have win7 and karmic on both my netbook and desktop but everything went smooth which doesn't always apply it seems. I wouldn't know to add some troubleshooting steps, and it depends on the particular situation anyway. Plus I am new to ubuntu.
Should I try?

raymondh
November 19th, 2009, 05:00 PM
It would be great if someone using Win 7 would write a "HOWTO: Win 7 and GRUB 2" or "Win 7 and Dual Booting" tutorial so dual-booters could be pointed to a set of clear instructions.

There are a few posts around with the solution (I think) but having one placed in the Tutorials forum would be of great benefit to the many dual-booters out there.

Hi Drs305 .... I agree, it'd be nice in the tutorials and tips section. Also, as you may know, our friend Herman (http://members.iinet.net/~herman546/index.html) has the jaunty + win7 up on his site.

Regards,

drs305
November 19th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Herman has good stuff.

@ darkod, Perhaps you could start out by reviewing the post below and seeing if what is included would solve the problem for users in the same situation as you found yourself.

Also, I had forgotten about talsemgeist's post about restoring Win 7.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1014708#post8333415