PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] "Places" in the gnome menu

geoffm
September 13th, 2009, 05:01 PM
When I have more than 5 places set, It puts them in a submenu in the Places menu. Can I set it to show them all in the mainmenu even though I use 6?

zinouch
September 13th, 2009, 06:09 PM
excuse me, but i think that you have to use your computer and your time for something else than change the organization of the place in gnome menu !!

stderr
September 13th, 2009, 07:19 PM
On the contrary, this was something I was wondering too; once I mount a load of drives, this 'feature' slows down navigation quite a bit. It's because I haven't the time to waste that it irritates me!

As it happens, here's the info (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1066964), but basically you have to alter the source code. The link gives a nice step-by-step though.

Ratscallion
September 13th, 2009, 07:30 PM
I like to use the places as and when, but usually have a Nautilus window open, and in there, they are not shortened, all in the list... But, if you really want to, I say follow stderr's tip.

geoffm
September 14th, 2009, 05:16 AM
excuse me, but i think that you have to use your computer and your time for something else than change the organization of the place in gnome menu !!
excuse me, I know how to manage my own time. it might not be very important, but I like my computer to be set up the most efficient way possible, and if I have to do an extra click to reach a place I have to get to 50 times a day, it's worth spending 2 minutes to try to see if there's an easy fix. it won't be worth enough to spend time reprogramming anything, though, be assured.

and what about you, shouldn't you be investing your computer and time into other things than answering useless posts? ;)

earthpigg
September 14th, 2009, 12:41 PM

that was quite rude, sir.

Ratscallion
September 14th, 2009, 05:21 PM

+1

steveneddy
September 15th, 2009, 04:35 AM

He was only kidding. Can't you see that?

Are you people that sensitive?

earthpigg
September 15th, 2009, 04:50 AM
He was only kidding. Can't you see that?

Are you people that sensitive?

if he was kidding, than so am i.

if he was not, then neither am i.

ergo, i have no reason to recant or modify my original statement.

@zinouch: your post was very rude.

steveneddy
September 15th, 2009, 05:43 AM
if he was kidding, than so am i.

if he was not, then neither am i.

ergo, i have no reason to recant or modify my original statement.

good answer

But I don't think he was rude. I think he's only having fun.

joshuachad
September 15th, 2009, 06:05 AM
to answer the question from what I remember that is a compile option. i.e. its a default behaviour that cannot be change unless you want to compile the program from scratch

geoffm
September 17th, 2009, 02:56 PM
On the contrary, this was something I was wondering too; once I mount a load of drives, this 'feature' slows down navigation quite a bit. It's because I haven't the time to waste that it irritates me!

As it happens, here's the info (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1066964), but basically you have to alter the source code. The link gives a nice step-by-step though.

Actually I found a useful applet that compensates a bit: the file-browser applet. You can pick one or many folders that will appear as a drop-down menu, including subfolders (KDE has a similar applet integrated)

http://code.google.com/p/gnome-menu-file-browser-applet/