PDA

View Full Version : Powder coat or wet paint? which would be best for a bicycle?

HappinessNow
September 13th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Powder coat or wet paint? which would be best for a bicycle?

I have been doing a bit of research on what would be best to refinish my bike; Powder coat or wet paint? which would be best for a bicycle?

Take a look at this YouTube:(Brooker's Powder Coating)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kHCh1E6REo

EDIT:
SOLVED: Went for the Powder Coating at Brooker's (http://brookerenterprises.com/).

gn2
September 13th, 2009, 01:36 PM
What's best largely depends what you want, hard wearing protection or a fabulous finish.
Either way you'll need to pay a professional.

HappinessNow
September 13th, 2009, 01:42 PM
What's best largely depends what you want, hard wearing protection or a fabulous finish.

or...

Secondly, although powder coating is very flexible at first, over time (2 to 3 years) the coating becomes less and less flexible and will begin to loose it chip resistance. For people who are interested in a longer lasting finish, wet coating offer superior durability in the long run.
http://www.dekerf.com/paintshop.asp#opt3

Either way you'll need to pay a professional.Yep, that goes without being said. :P

tsali
September 13th, 2009, 01:42 PM
If you actually plan to ride the bike, powder coating is superior. Paint will eventually chip and flake.

Powder coating parts small enough to fit in a kitchen oven can be done at home, but your bike frame is too large. You'll need a professional.

HappinessNow
September 13th, 2009, 01:45 PM
If you actually plan to ride the bike, powder coating is superior. Paint will eventually chip and flake.Not, according to these guys: http://www.dekerf.com/paintshop.asp#opt3

The primary benefit I see of Powder Coating over wet paint is it is incredibly inexpensive (about $100)....cheap to say even if I need to get it powder coated again in about three years it is still worth it and more affordable then the 'Wet Paint' process

gn2
September 13th, 2009, 01:48 PM
So the paint shop is a credible source for information about powder coating?

That's like getting Linux advice from a Microsoft salesman.

I once had a motorcycle frame powder coated, did tens of thousands of miles on it over a period of four years and it looked as good as the day it came back from the shop.

HappinessNow
September 13th, 2009, 01:54 PM
So the paint shop is a credible source for information about powder coating?

That's like getting Linux advice from a Microsoft salesman.

I once had a motorcycle frame powder coated, did tens of thousands of miles on it over a period of four years and it looked as good as the day it came back from the shop.

Actually I never said anyplace was a credible source of anything, I just pointed it out as what one place had to say. :P

Your personal recommendation about your motorcycle is the recommendation I was looking for, Thanks!

markbuntu
September 13th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Anodizing is best.

cmay
September 13th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I would also advise to use a proffesional no matter what. I did it myself once on a moped and it came out awful. I painted it all black and when I was done it was not good enough even I tried to use as much precision as I could. its not easy to at home and even if you have to right tools which I had at the moment it takes a bit of practice first to get to know the tools and know how all things interact.

I regreted deeply doing it myself after I saw the results of my moped but I also did not spend the money to get it done at proffesional. I just let it be as it where knowing that if ever I was to sell that moped I would get next to nothing simply because I messed up that paint job so much.

Skripka
September 13th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Powder-coating will be more durable, and inexpensive for a single color.

1) Get it done professionally.

2) Don't forget to have an estimate done that includes the cost of stripping the frame

3) I don't know where you are, but I also post on a roadie cyclists board-and I know lots of folks who've had it done professionally across the US, it is great and durable.

Skripka
September 13th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Anodizing is best.

Meh. Anodizing only works on Alu. And even then it is only desirable on cheaper frames-which usually have craptastic looking weld seems. Expensive Al frames are usually nicely painted/finished to start with-and don't need fixing.

andras artois
September 14th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Go for the powder coat. A mate had his done and it doesn't chip and looks real nice.

xl_cheese
September 14th, 2009, 05:51 PM
http://www.spectrumpowderworks.com/photo.php?level=album&id=8

steveneddy
September 14th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Having not read the entire thread, only the first original post and having a modicum of experience in refinishing metals, I personally would recommend powder coating.

It is tough and rugged and wears very well.

A "wet paint" option can get better looks and custom options, but i say save that for the accessories.

If the bike is ridden regularly outside then powder coating will diminish the effects of road grime, rocks/pebbles/sand pitting the finish and also look great after hundreds of washings where paint will chip and wear with regular maintenance.

Your choice. If you can afford it go with powder coating.

HappinessNow
September 14th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Having not read the entire thread, only the first original post and having a modicum of experience in refinishing metals, I personally would recommend powder coating.

It is tough and rugged and wears very well.

A "wet paint" option can get better looks and custom options, but i say save that for the accessories.

If the bike is ridden regularly outside then powder coating will diminish the effects of road grime, rocks/pebbles/sand pitting the finish and also look great after hundreds of washings where paint will chip and wear with regular maintenance.

Your choice. If you can afford it go with powder coating.Powder Coating is actually more affordable then the 'Wet Paint' application so it is a viable option.

I am pretty sure I will be going with a Powder Coat, done by a professional.

steveneddy
September 14th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Powder Coating is actually more affordable then the 'Wet Paint' application so it is a viable option.

I am pretty sure I will be going with a Powder Coat, done by a professional.

Very good.

I think you have made a great choice.

Good luck and be sure to post photos of your efforts, even the in between stuff like before and after clics and disassembly.

Some of us don't have a life so live vicariously through those online that actually do have actual lives.

blur xc
September 14th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Meh. Anodizing only works on Alu. And even then it is only desirable on cheaper frames-which usually have craptastic looking weld seems. Expensive Al frames are usually nicely painted/finished to start with-and don't need fixing.

I have en expensive ($1,850 at the time) Al frame, and I paid extra for the ano version over the powder. Two reasons- Ano looks good longer, and it's lighter. I don't know how credible the sources, but I've read that powder can add 80 - 120 grams of weight (I am aware grams are a unit of mass, not weight) compared to an ano frame.

BM

Skripka
September 14th, 2009, 08:55 PM
I have en expensive ($1,850 at the time) Al frame, and I paid extra for the ano version over the powder. Two reasons- Ano looks good longer, and it's lighter. I don't know how credible the sources, but I've read that powder can add 80 - 120 grams of weight (I am aware grams are a unit of mass, not weight) compared to an ano frame.

BM

Most people's cell phones weigh more than any frame coating-powder/paint/or otherwise. Leave the bike computer, and the cell phone home-and you just lost 300+grams for free. :)

Weight weenie-ism is really absurd these days. All it does is drives prices through the roof for negligible gain. Heck, you cannot even GET a major brand road crankset today for LESS than $300USD in the US. 5 years ago in Performance Bike, you could get a decent roadie crankset for $50. The practical difference between a well-built 20ish lb bike, and a 12 lb wunder-plastik-bike is only felt when going up stairs.

markbuntu
September 14th, 2009, 10:03 PM
I had a 10 speed bike in 1973 that weighed 17 lbs. I bought it used for $35.

drawkcab
September 14th, 2009, 11:15 PM
wrap it in black electrical tape

benj1
September 14th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Most people's cell phones weigh more than any frame coating-powder/paint/or otherwise. Leave the bike computer, and the cell phone home-and you just lost 300+grams for free. :)

Weight weenie-ism is really absurd these days.

you forget this is a linux forum and so 90% of the people here are willing to jump through an inordinate amount of hoops to shave off 0.1mb of memory usage from their 4gb setup.
although i do agree the lightest and cheapest option (no paint) probably isnt the best, just get rid of the saddle instead ;)

Skripka
September 14th, 2009, 11:50 PM
wrap it in black electrical tape

It will be less likely to be stolen that way...

Skripka
September 14th, 2009, 11:52 PM
you forget this is a linux forum and so 90% of the people here are willing to jump through an inordinate amount of hoops to shave off 0.1mb of memory usage from their 4gb setup.
although i do agree the lightest and cheapest option (no paint) probably isnt the best, just get rid of the saddle instead ;)

On linux, shaving 0.1MB of RAM usage off takes some tinkering....on road bikes, a part which has 10grams less mass than another will cost an extra $20USD.

Which makes more fiscal sense?

blur xc
September 14th, 2009, 11:56 PM
On linux, shaving 0.1MB of RAM usage off takes some tinkering....on road bikes, a part which has 10grams less mass than another will cost an extra $20USD.

Which makes more fiscal sense?

It has NOTHING to do w/ what makes sense... :D

BM

gn2
September 15th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Instead of fretting about the weight of the finish, just fit bigger gearing.

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/news/2009/06/08/1244467535574-c1ukt50c4oay-500-90-500-70.jpg

larky
September 15th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Does powder coating work on Alu?

gn2
September 15th, 2009, 12:21 AM
Does powder coating work on Alu?

Probably.
I would never put anything on an alu bicycle frame, I would just polish it.

tsali
September 15th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Not, according to these guys: http://www.dekerf.com/paintshop.asp#opt3

The primary benefit I see of Powder Coating over wet paint is it is incredibly inexpensive (about $100)....cheap to say even if I need to get it powder coated again in about three years it is still worth it and more affordable then the 'Wet Paint' process

Having used both methods on motorcycle parts, I stand by my original assertion. Wet paint is not durable in road use.

jethro10
September 15th, 2009, 11:38 AM
I work for an Aluminium extruders and we are a powder coater also. We also provide wet paint via a local sub contractor.
And no, we couldn't fit a bike frame in our plant!

Both are likely to be equally as durable as the other but only if the preperation of the surface is done properly.

We supply some parts for ships electrical systems and they insist on wet paint on top of alochroming, we have other places used in environments close to the sea and they insist on powder coating.

go for what you like, as long as it's prepared properly before coating/painting.
If you have detailing on the frame like joints you wan't to show off, go paint, it's often thinner.
If not, probably powder coating would be my choice.

remember preperation!
stripping, de-greasing,
etching (for keying of the surface)
stabilising (for want of a better word on a linux forum)

and yes, you can powder coat aluminium as well as steel. We've just heard recently of a system to powder coat wood! how the hell!

J

WalmartSniperLX
September 15th, 2009, 11:53 AM
If you want to try it yourself, I would say wet paint for alu or metal:

1) Wetsand down the frame so it has a nice surface for paint. Clean it! It must not have any dirt, dust, or grease on the surface. Paint will not stick to these things!

2) Use a primer coat first. Just get it in a spray can and do 1-2 coats

2) Use wet paint in a can. You can make it look good if you take your time.

3) Just have a brush on the side just in case you get overflowing spots from spraying too close. If you do, lightly distribute the puddle spots until they're gone.

4) Evenly spray the paint no closer than 10 inches from the frame. Do as many coats needed to get an even, nice look. Do not worry if your first 2 coats don't seem to be at the color shade you want. It's best to do several thin coats than a few thick ones when you use can paint. Make sure you let it dry before applying the next coats.

5) Spray or apply clear protective coat and evenly distribute that over your finish. Do 3-4 coats.

Just make sure you do it in an area that is well ventilated and make sure you cover your project. If dust happens to fall on the paint in between coats, let it dry for several hours then rinse off with water, and let dry before doing the next coat. If you screw up, wet sand it down and start over. You will be surprised on how nice a couple of cans of paint, clear coat, and a lot of patience can get you.

Surprisingly, if you take your time and do it right, and take care of it, it will look professional.

EDIT: I have not painted bikes before but I've done aluminum auto parts, including valve covers, frames, and plastic interior.

HappinessNow
January 17th, 2010, 07:20 PM
I work for an Aluminium extruders and we are a powder coater also. We also provide wet paint via a local sub contractor.
And no, we couldn't fit a bike frame in our plant!

Both are likely to be equally as durable as the other but only if the preperation of the surface is done properly.

We supply some parts for ships electrical systems and they insist on wet paint on top of alochroming, we have other places used in environments close to the sea and they insist on powder coating.

go for what you like, as long as it's prepared properly before coating/painting.
If you have detailing on the frame like joints you wan't to show off, go paint, it's often thinner.
If not, probably powder coating would be my choice.

remember preperation!
stripping, de-greasing,
etching (for keying of the surface)
stabilising (for want of a better word on a linux forum)

and yes, you can powder coat aluminium as well as steel. We've just heard recently of a system to powder coat wood! how the hell!

J

An update to this thread: I went with a Powder Coat on my wifes bike and it turned out awesome. The place we took it to specializes in Powder Coating Motorcycles and Bicycles.

Powder coat or wet paint? which would be best for a bicycle?

I have been doing a bit of research on what would be best to refinish my bike; Powder coat or wet paint? which would be best for a bicycle?

Take a look at this YouTube:(Brooker's Powder Coating)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kHCh1E6REo

We took the bike to Brooker's, the same place featured in YouTube:

http://brookerenterprises.com/

Highly recommend Brooker's!