PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] A doubt in ubuntu installation

krashok1990
September 13th, 2009, 10:43 AM
I installed ubuntu by "Install inside windows", while installing it asked the size "i selected 6 GB" and ubuntu is installed without any problems,,,,,,,

i installed ubuntu in another computer and this time i selected 4 GB,,,,, this time also ubuntu installed without any problem,,,,,,,,,

i can't find any difference between the two installations,,,,,, both are same other than the size of installation,,,,,,,,

i like to know what is the difference between the two installations ??

ddrichardson
September 13th, 2009, 10:56 AM
The amount of space you've allocated to Ubuntu rather than how much is installed. In other words it didn't take up 6Gb it allowed for up to 6Gb.

newsoft
September 13th, 2009, 01:05 PM
The amount of space you've allocated to Ubuntu rather than how much is installed. In other words it didn't take up 6Gb it allowed for up to 6Gb.

Are u sure of this????? It doesn't sound logic...did u try yourself?

ddrichardson
September 13th, 2009, 02:05 PM
The 6 or 4 Gb is space allocated for Ubuntu. There needs to be a separate partition or in this case a virtual hard disk and this is what you are creating.

http://wubi-installer.org/faq.php#internals

To confirm it to yourself, if you open a terminal and type:
sudo fdisk -lYou'll see a list of partitions. On one system it'll say Ext3 or Ext4 4Gb and on the other 6Gb.

fanglinyong
September 13th, 2009, 02:11 PM
when you upgrade your system,you will found that you didn't have enough space to update your system!

raymondh
September 13th, 2009, 02:49 PM
The 6 or 4 Gb is space allocated for Ubuntu. There needs to be a separate partition or in this case a virtual hard disk and this is what you are creating.

http://wubi-installer.org/faq.php#internals

To confirm it to yourself, if you open a terminal and type:
sudo fdisk -lYou'll see a list of partitions. On one system it'll say Ext3 or Ext4 4Gb and on the other 6Gb.

+1

While you have the terminal, might as well see how it is allocated/used

df -h

@fanglingyon ...... maybe, maybe not. It will all depend on how OP uses Ubuntu and what OP stores in Ubuntu. You might be thinking of the 2.3GB install error ;)