PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help with Abiword after upgrade...

Ubu4moi
September 13th, 2009, 06:55 AM
I'm running Ubuntu Ultimate Edition 64bit. Abiword was working fine but I updated it. Now it won't open MSWord files. I installed some lib for msword but I think that's what messed it up. How can I go back to the previous version? How can I install it from the Ubuntu installation DVD?

wilee-nilee
September 13th, 2009, 10:52 AM
You can force the last working version to install in synaptic. If you click on settings-preferences-appearance (show package properties in the main window) then you can search for abiword-then versions click on the version you want then package-force install.

newsoft
September 13th, 2009, 01:03 PM
You can force the last working version to install in synaptic. If you click on settings-preferences-appearance (show package properties in the main window) then you can search for abiword-then versions click on the version you want then package-force install.

Are you sure of this?

wilee-nilee
September 14th, 2009, 01:14 AM
Yes, you might trying a remove and reinstall of the non working version first though. There is a launchpad ppa that has a version I am not sure though of its' version, it may be the one that isn't working. abiword is easily removable and installed without other programs being effected, but always look at what your computer is doing when you make changes. If you do it from synaptic you will get a confirmation gui of what is new, removed, or unchanged. Although you are using a version of Ubuntu that has KDE as well this might be the culprit I don't know. https://launchpad.net/~abiword-stable/+archive/ppa