PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New netbook..... SSD size?

XKCD64
September 13th, 2009, 05:32 AM
I'm buying a new netbook to use for school only. Because my normal laptop is kind of big to carry around. Anyway, I want an SSD with it, absolutely no HDD.

I will be using it for....

Internet browsing
Youtube
Run Ubuntu only
Epiphany IM
Open Office
Thunderbird
Plus I will be saving documents on it. Around 500 word documents as a very high estimate.
I will probably work on my website from the netbook.

Point is.... what is a good SSD size for me. I got choice between 4, 8, and 16 GB. However, for a bit more money I can get more storage. Would 16 GB be enough for everything I will want to do?

Grifulkin
September 13th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Should be more than plenty, because Ubuntu only takes up what 3 or 4 GB.

XKCD64
September 13th, 2009, 05:37 AM
Thanks!

Rhubarb
September 13th, 2009, 05:42 AM
An 8 or 16GB SSD should be fine for you.

I've got a 16GB SSD myself, it's plenty big enough to do some web surfing and spreadsheets.

pablolie
September 13th, 2009, 07:22 AM
another vote for 16g as being sufficient. i have an eee pc 901 and 16g is plenty (i did upgrade the secondary ssd to 16 and that is all i use). oh i keep many documents on google docs "in the cloud"...

keep in mind some of the installation advice for ubuntu on ssd...

sgosnell
September 13th, 2009, 08:05 AM
If you do it right, 4GB is enough, 8 is great, and 16 is overkill. Get an SDHC card, 16GB or so, and save all your data on that. Use the SSD only for programs, and you'll have no problems. Consider inserting the SDHC card before installing Ubuntu, and then selecting a manual install, selecting the partitions yourself, and put / on the SSD, and /home on the SDHC. That way, you don't have to worry about where to save stuff, it's automatically saved on the SDHC card, and if you have to reinstall the OS, your data remains on the card, and won't be lost.

Hobgoblin
September 13th, 2009, 11:05 AM
An 8 or 16GB SSD should be fine for you.

I've got a 16GB SSD myself, it's plenty big enough to do some web surfing and spreadsheets.

I would agree with that.

Even a 4GB SSD with an SDHC card for extra storage will get you by.

LewRockwell
September 13th, 2009, 04:19 PM
you should be able to find a gently used netbook with what you want for around $75.00 to $150.00 USD

say a little Acer with the N270 1GB ram 4GB SSD or something like that

LewRockwell
September 13th, 2009, 04:27 PM
we wouldn't invest big bucks in one due to the mobile broadband companies purchasing huge quantities of these for their new/upgrading customers...which will, of course, drive the cost of those units downward overall

saw this morning Best Buy has a full size, full feature, Toshiba laptop for $329.99

so obviously the value of the used stuff is way down since the new stuff is so inexpensive

as always, your mileage may vary and buyer be aware and beware