PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Jaunty login waits too long

arashispencer
September 13th, 2009, 04:42 AM
I've recently upgraded to Kubuntu Jaunty, but after restarts for the first time, the new Kubuntu logo appears,quite a while, and ended with the following message:

-Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)

then finished with:

-missing modules (cat /proc/modules;1s/dev)
ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/...... does not exist. Dropping to a shell.

Result=failed:(

When I pressed 'esc' to select during the countdown, I selected the previous kernel (I think) without the recovery option, I could login but the desktop looks damaged. Something is missing or should I say, few things are... I do not have the installation cd as I upgraded online. Did not download anything too.

Should I update my kernel?
Or...?

running_rabbit07
September 13th, 2009, 05:25 AM
Use the recovery option and select repair packages.

arashispencer
September 14th, 2009, 04:41 AM
Thanks... Just to make sure I know what to do when I reach the recovery option, what should I check for? I mean, I can't differentiate broken package yet...:confused:

Sad thing is, from the older kernel which I managed to login, I can't connect to the internet to update!!! I was thinking of using the terminal to update
sudo apt-get update
but nothing works... Not only the internet connection, many other things keep on prompting me with errors now even viewing a *.jpg image...

running_rabbit07
September 14th, 2009, 04:52 AM
Thanks... Just to make sure I know what to do when I reach the recovery option, what should I check for? I mean, I can't differentiate broken package yet...:confused:

Sad thing is, from the older kernel which I managed to login, I can't connect to the internet to update!!! I was thinking of using the terminal to update
sudo apt-get update
but nothing works... Not only the internet connection, many other things keep on prompting me with errors now even viewing a *.jpg image...

When you boot the recovery kernel there will be a small list of things to chose from. One of them is repair broken packages. That should fix you up.

arashispencer
September 14th, 2009, 05:13 AM
Tried but...
A lot of things running initially... until..
Begin: Waiting for root file system... ...

Then

Done
Gave up waiting for root device. Common problems:
-Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)

Exactly like the error on the 1st post...

At the end, there is a
Busybox v1.10.2 (ubuntu 1:1.10.2-2ubuntu7) built-in shell (ash)

then

(initramfs) with underline waiting for command I don't know...

arashispencer
September 14th, 2009, 06:01 AM
I managed to get a snapshot...

running_rabbit07
September 14th, 2009, 06:30 AM
I am starting to wonder if you will have to revert to Hardy or Intrepid to get your system back online. Or maybe download the ISO and do a clean install of Jaunty. Before you try reinstalling make sure you boot the LiveCD and back up your files if you don't have a /home partition.

arashispencer
September 14th, 2009, 07:32 AM
My upgrade was actually from Hardy to Jaunty... Skipping Intrepid... Was that a possible reason?

ISO download is too slow for my connection... Requested a free cd so should be here in 10 weeks time.

Other than backing up my /home folder, how should I save my settings?

running_rabbit07
September 14th, 2009, 03:17 PM
My upgrade was actually from Hardy to Jaunty... Skipping Intrepid... Was that a possible reason?

ISO download is too slow for my connection... Requested a free cd so should be here in 10 weeks time.

Other than backing up my /home folder, how should I save my settings?

If you have a/home folder, then you shouldn't have anything to worry about. If you just did the factory install where there is just a swap and a / partition then you need to back up your file and in your home folder you copy all the hidden folders which are your settings.