PDA

View Full Version : Free Web Hosting, Saturated area?

Rackerz
February 6th, 2006, 11:37 PM
Is it just me or has Free Web Hosting become so easy to come by, to easy to get and so easy to create? I started Free Web Hosting 3 years ago and well it wasn't so full up just 3 years ago, GOOD free hosting was hard to come by and now it's so easy to come by with all these new 'Companys' popping up with there big cPanel plans.

I'm just finding it so hard to compete with these types of Free Hosting Companys, 3 years ago it was easy to pull people in but now all they want is the big plans with the flashy features. Yes, I've always had cPanel but not such big plans, I mean some are ridiculous 10GB Space, 100GB Bandwidth. My point is has it become so hard to compete with these? Is the Free Hosting area basically full? (saturated)

TTT_travis
February 6th, 2006, 11:43 PM
yeah pretty much, I have never paid for hosting. I've had a website for about 4 years now I have had about 3 different free hosts, all with php, mysql and a decent amount of transfer and space.

xequence
February 6th, 2006, 11:55 PM
I'm just finding it so hard to compete with these types of Free Hosting Companys, 3 years ago it was easy to pull people in but now all they want is the big plans with the flashy features. Yes, I've always had cPanel but not such big plans, I mean some are ridiculous 10GB Space, 100GB Bandwidth. My point is has it become so hard to compete with these? Is the Free Hosting area basically full? (saturated)

There are alot of free web hosts, but I am not a big fan of many of them.

The best ive found gave you like 50MB space and 100MB transfer.

If you can link me to one with 10GB space and 100GB transfer I could set up a bunch of FTP servers =O

ember
February 6th, 2006, 11:56 PM
Well - I did not have the impression that free webhosting is a real alternative to paid one. However I am quite happy that I now get about 10 domains, PHP, MySQL and a load of email-accounts for the price I once paid for just only one.

majikstreet
February 7th, 2006, 01:16 AM
hmph.. IHMO, if you don't care about having a professional company support you, go with some individual who is willing to host people... so many people do that - it's so nice.. in fact I host two people for free and one pays me.. (one of the free people is a member here!)

briancurtin
February 7th, 2006, 01:20 AM
i wouldnt trust a company giving out free hosting. you give them nothing, so your site could be gone one day and you cant say a word about it that matters to them.

if a person i knew was down with hosting a site, id go with it. i have my own hosting package that costs me like $8-9 USD a month and i get 5 GB disk space and way more bandwidth than i will ever need. i host my best friend's pictures and random pages she makes here and there, and ill host files people need to put up on the net. its pretty cheap for what i get

EDIT: i just looked and i pay $12 for 5 GB disk space, 75 GB bandwidth; not the $8-9 i thought i was. i pay yearly so im covered till like june

majikstreet
February 7th, 2006, 01:55 AM
:D

i have a reseller that costs 20$ a month 2500 mb spcae 70gb bandwidth... maybe a little over priced, but come on, the owner ROCKS... plus he's a member here.. (*pokes akurashy*)