PDA

View Full Version : running ruby in eclipse

cybo
September 13th, 2009, 12:10 AM
I was trying to learn more of ruby syntax but I'm unable to run the code for it. I have created a class and wanted to write a simple program using it. But for some reason it didn't work for me. Whenever I compile it I get the following error:
cash_register_test.rb:1: uninitialized constant CashRegister (NameError)

Can you explain what is the problem with this code:

cash_register.rb

class CashRegister
def initialize
@purchase = 0;
@payment = 0;
end

def record_purchase(amount)
@purchase += amount
end
end

cash_register_test.rb

reg = CashRegister.new

falconindy
September 13th, 2009, 12:50 AM
You need to make sure you 'require' your class file. Put this at the top of cash_register_test.rb:

require 'cash_register.rb'
Provided of course, that both files are in the same directory.

cybo
September 13th, 2009, 01:49 AM
thanks for the reply.

what do i need to do if they are in different folders? it doesn't work if i just use require. it still gives me errors

falconindy
September 13th, 2009, 02:08 AM
If they're in separate folders, then you'll need to provide an absolute or relative path to the library.

Alternatively, you could put the library in a place that's accessible via the $PATH variable.

cybo
September 13th, 2009, 02:20 AM
i'm new to eclipse and ruby. falconindy can you tell me how would i provide a relative path to the folder where my code is

falconindy
September 13th, 2009, 02:54 AM
i'm new to eclipse and ruby. falconindy can you tell me how would i provide a relative path to the folder where my code is
A relative path defines the location of a file based on where you currently are. Relative paths will never start with a '/'. An absolute path defines the location of a file starting from root. Absolute paths will always start with a '/' or '~/'.

Suppose your cash_register_test.rb file resides in "~/dev/ruby/", and then your cash_register.rb file is in "~/dev/ruby/cash", you would need one of the following (they're equivalent as long as cash_register_test.rb never moves)

require 'cash/cash_register.rb'
require '~/dev/ruby/cash/cash_register.rb'...at the top of your cash_register_test.rb file. However, suppose you moved your cash_register.rb file to a generic includes directory that was at "~/includes". With your test file in the same place, you'd need one of these:

require '../../includes/cash_register.rb'
require '~/includes/cash_register.rb'In both these cases, the first path given is the relative path. The second path is the absolute. Both have their uses.

cybo
September 13th, 2009, 03:28 AM
one thing i forgot to mention is that i currently run eclipse and ruby under winows platform :(

here is what i get when i use

require '../../lib/cash_register.rb'

C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in `gem_original_require': no such file to load -- ../lib/cash_register.rb (LoadError)
from C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in `require'
from test/cash_register_test.rb:2

do you know what the problem might be?

falconindy
September 13th, 2009, 03:46 AM
Hmm, looks like it's trying to use the relative path based on the location of Ruby. Better just go with an absolute. You may also want to use a double backslash ( \\ ) in place of each slash ( / ).

cybo
September 13th, 2009, 04:12 AM
falonindy thanks for your help.

it turns out that in windows it won't accept a relative path. only absolute worked for me. i figured that it was something to do with the environment variable settings. so i went to the project propteries->ruby load path->source tab->add foldter button and added my source code directory. reran the code and it worked.

again thanks for all the help.