PDA

View Full Version : Finding Drive Space via the Terminal...

MikeTheC
September 12th, 2009, 10:50 PM
It's a funny thing how sometimes the simplest tool can be useful. I recently had occasion to need to remotely check available drive space on my server, and that meant checking it via a terminal window. But how to do this? Well...

df -h

All you need to do is be on whatever box is of interest (your own local computer, a remote system, etc.) and then issue the command. It will return a list similar to the following:

Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on
/dev/disk0s2 233Gi 27Gi 205Gi 12% /
devfs 110Ki 110Ki 0Bi 100% /dev
map -hosts 0Bi 0Bi 0Bi 100% /net
map auto_home 0Bi 0Bi 0Bi 100% /home
/dev/disk1s2 466Gi 427Mi 465Gi 1% /Volumes/Time Machine Partition
/dev/disk1s3 465Gi 23Gi 443Gi 5% /Volumes/Data Storage
mikes-mbpro:~ mike$

And, as you can deduce from the last two items on the list above, this command also works perfectly well in Mac OS X.

Anyhow, I just thought I should share this nifty little command with the rest of you wonderful folk.

Enjoy!

bodyharvester
September 12th, 2009, 10:51 PM
cool :)

MikeTheC
September 13th, 2009, 05:09 AM
Yeah, I thought it was pretty cool myself.

The biggest downside I see to CLI is, of course, the lack of intuitiveness involved. It's not like there's an easy way to gain access to all these commands like you can programs in a GUI environment.

Don't get me wrong, I fully understand the concept of a terminal, and I will grant that it can be efficient, but it is only efficient after you've memorized bunches of arbitrary commands for it.

Anyhow, when you uncover a gem, it's great to share it with others.