PDA

View Full Version : reading binary file stuff

nbo10
September 12th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Hi all,
I'm reading a binary file. I come to a point where 64 bits is a pointer to a position in the file, say 9C 18 00 00. and the doc says that the order fo the bytes is little endian. How do I go to that position in the file? Thanks

dwhitney67
September 13th, 2009, 03:47 AM
Specify your programming language; also, provide your apps requirements. Your OP was a little difficult to digest.

P.S. 9C 18 00 00 is represented using 4 bytes (32 bits).

jpkotta
September 13th, 2009, 06:32 AM
Hi all,
I'm reading a binary file. I come to a point where 64 bits is a pointer to a position in the file, say 9C 18 00 00. and the doc says that the order fo the bytes is little endian. How do I go to that position in the file? Thanks

Little endian means it's written backwards, but (IMHO) is actually in the correct order*. You can think of it as being stored in an array: [0x9C, 0x18, 0x00, 0x00] where the least significant byte (LSB, the "little end") comes first. Written as a 32-bit hex number, it would be 0x0000189C.

Many languages use the fseek() and related functions to set the position in a file handle. E.g. in python:

import os
fd = open(filename_str, "a+b")
fd.seek(0x189C, os.SEEK_SET) # SEEK_SET means offset from beginning of file

* I say correct because it's always the same pattern. If you have a 16-bit value and want to convert it to 32-bit, you can just append 0s (or 1s). With big endian, you have to move bytes around. Neither big nor little endian is really correct in any absolute sense, though.

nbo10
September 13th, 2009, 02:40 PM
ahh... I forgot to say I'm using c++, or I could use python. I don't know why I can't write code to read binary files. This is the second project that I've had to read some binary data files. The last project I crashed and burned.

Can+~
September 13th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Binary files are nothing special. If you need to visualize the content of the file, download ghex.

sudo apt-get install ghex

A little something on binary files:

In C, using the fread(...) function, you can load directly the content of the binary file into a struct or data type, like:

struct mystruct
{
int number;
char str[20];
}

Then, if the file looks like:

0f 00 00 00 48 65 6c 6c 6f 20 57 6f 72 6c 64 0a 00 25 c7 bf a9 85 04 08

It will load the data trying to fit it directly on the struct, just like a memcpy.

|--number--||------------------------char[20]--------------------------|
0f 00 00 00 48 65 6c 6c 6f 20 57 6f 72 6c 64 0a 00 25 c7 bf a9 85 04 08

(In this case, this is 15 and Hello World\n\0).

In python, you do a similar thing, although it uses a perl-like (and php-like) struct format string (http://docs.python.org/library/struct.html):

"i20s"

(integer and 20-byte string)

And for the original question, you just read the number into an int, and use fseek() to that position (SEEK_SET or SEEK_CUR, depending on the specification).

jpkotta
September 13th, 2009, 08:25 PM
ahh... I forgot to say I'm using c++, or I could use python. I don't know why I can't write code to read binary files. This is the second project that I've had to read some binary data files. The last project I crashed and burned.

Yes, but that Python code is not much more than a wrapper around the C library. In C, it would be more like

#include <stdio.h>

FILE fh = fopen(filename_str, "a+b");
fseek(fh, 0x0000189C, SEEK_SET);

There is probably a more C++-y way of doing it, but I don't really work with C++.

If this is a popular binary format, there is probably a library you can use to access the file.

dwhitney67
September 13th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Yes, but that Python code is not much more than a wrapper around the C library. In C, it would be more like

#include <stdio.h>

FILE fh = open(filename_str, "a+b");
fseek(fh, 0x0000189C, SEEK_SET);

There is probably a more C++-y way of doing it, but I don't really work with C++.

If this is a popular binary format, there is probably a library you can use to access the file.

Yes, that is right... you need to include a header file, introduce a typo in the C syntax, and basically accomplish the same thing as posted in the Python example.

Jeez...

nbo10
September 14th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Thanks. The code is coming along now. reading binary stuff is pretty easy in python.