PDA

View Full Version : Need help backing up Vista...

Gizenshya
September 12th, 2009, 10:24 PM
It isn't my computer, and I won't be around to restore it, either :(

It is Vista "Home Premium" and I've found out that the windows software that does just what I want is not part of home basic (ugh! I hate them, but anyway...).

I need an open-source program that can fully backup and restore a computer (preferably from an image file, or DVD sections). A bootable disk that starts the restore, or bootable restore disks are probably needed. I won't be around for the restoring if it comes to it, so it needs to be a simple restore process.

I don't want or need incremental backups, just an image of how it is now that I can restore whenever.

PLEASE help! I'm desperate!

PS: Yes, I know this is a linux forum, but the guys on the windows sites are absolute morons and have been no help whatsoever.

PPS: I will not consider and Symantec Software, or other pay software. It needs to be no-cost, preferably open-source.

Thanks in advance :)

bodyharvester
September 12th, 2009, 10:27 PM
kay, fine by me, but this should be in General Help or somewhere like that

actually go to www.howtogeek.com

when i ran XP they were brilliant with windows

Gizenshya
September 12th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Thank you!!! There was a program on the front page that looks like exactly what I want :)

I haven't downloaded it and tested it yet, of course, but I'll update as soon as I do.

Thanks again

bodyharvester
September 12th, 2009, 11:15 PM
cool, good luck with that :)

- joe

K.Mandla
September 13th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Clonezilla might be of use. I use it regularly on a dual-drive machine, to take snapshots of the system drive and switch between them.

A lot of people find it unattractive though.

http://clonezilla.org