PDA

View Full Version : user inputs double, program outputs int (succesfully) but what about other characters

s3a
September 12th, 2009, 10:05 PM
The following (java code) allows the user to input a double but it forces an output of an integer:

int variable = (int)kb.nextDouble();

That is what I want but I also want the user to be able to input letters and still be denied with a printed error message (which I've already set up as was the case before with another similar problem) but I just don't know what I have to change so that the user can input any characters (although the program will not print anything other than integers. How do I make it do what it currently does but also take in other character inputs?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

falconindy
September 12th, 2009, 10:22 PM
You'll need to wrap your variable declaration inside a try/catch structure, and probably wrap that inside a while loop if you want to keep asking the user for input until they enter a proper value.

Hint: to figure out what kind of exception you need to catch, look at the output on the command line when the program crashes after you enter letters instead of numbers.

s3a
September 12th, 2009, 10:53 PM
My class is learning while loops later (it is in a later chapter in my book). And that checking the output of the terminal tells me what I already think I know which is that the statement in the opening post needs to be modified to accept letters as well and I was hoping someone could answer that for me.