PDA

View Full Version : Convert

rmccutchan
September 12th, 2009, 08:59 PM
I hope this is the right place to comment on my experience so far. I hope someone who is contemplating a switch from windows has an opportunity to read this.

I completely switched from Windows to Ubuntu Linux a couple of weeks ago. I went cold turkey and forced myself to learn, and to be quite honest, the transaction was pretty seamless. All of the same programs/actions, and more, are there. Multiple desktops and rotating cubes are awsome! If you know how to operate a computer, even a little bit, then the switch to Ubuntu will be very painless and a lot of fun.

I am/was a part time professional photographer and I could't afford the new software that was coming out since I switched to Vista. My old version of photoshop didn't work anymore, and I would have had to buy a new version, along with lightroom, to the tune of about $1,000. Long story short, I decided to go a different direction: Linux

I just wish I had done this YEARS ago! I am extremely pleased with Ubuntu, and I don't ever plan on looking back. I tried other distros, and they were good, but I prefer Ubuntu.

One of the greatest things about Linux I have found is that it uses less rescources than the other systems. I have a Dell Pentium 4 with 1gig of ram and a 3ghz processor. I was concerned that 1gig of ram was not enough for the amount and size of photographs I work on, so I did a little test:

*I opened Gimp and 4 photographs, 56mb each.
*Went to another desktop and started firefox.
*Went to another desktop and opened Open Office Writer.
*Went to another desktop and opened Rawtherapee and had it start processing 6 raw canon files to png files and saving them.

I then started watching the system monitor, and the RAM never got past 80-82%!! I was amazed. The 3 ghz processor was running 100% most of the time during the raw image processing.

I also have all the goodies turned on (rotating cube desktops, wobbly windows, etc....)

For photographers, Raw therapee and Gimp is the perfect combination, at least for me. I convert images to PNG 8 bit before they go to Gimp, and still have plenty of latitude for adjustments later. And the speed at which the system runs is a great plus when you need to process 500 photographs!

And another bonus: No more virus/malware software to maintain!! Each day I use Linux it just gets better.

I am now a convert to the dark side (according to Windows and Best Buy!!!)

Bob

bodyharvester
September 12th, 2009, 09:02 PM
hi,

yeah, a better place would be Ubuntu Testimonials & Experiences area

but hey, when your new you dont realise just how big this place is ;)

welcome to freedom

- joe

rmccutchan
September 12th, 2009, 09:15 PM
You are right, there is a lot of stuff here. I posted it there instead. Thanks!

bapoumba
September 12th, 2009, 09:21 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1264801

Closing here :)
Welcome!