PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] non stop restart loop

bijayacharya
September 12th, 2009, 06:21 PM
I have a Hp DV6604nr in which I installed ubuntu Jaunty. I had been using the computer with occasional problems with the sound but since early this morning, when I tried to turn on my laptop, it has been restarting right after 2-3 seconds and it doesnt stop. the only way i can stop it is to remove the battery. please help.

Rocket2DMn
September 12th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Do you have any older kernels available in the Grub boot menu? If so, are you able to boot into any of them without this problem?

bijayacharya
September 12th, 2009, 07:06 PM
No I am not able to get into the GRUB. it just shuts down after 2-3 seconds of turning on.

Rocket2DMn
September 12th, 2009, 07:08 PM
That sounds like a hardware problem to me. Have you added or removed any pieces of hardware to/from the system recently? Does the system beep at you? Do you ever see the initial start screen on the system (like with your computer manufacturer's logo)? Are you able to access the BIOS setup?

bijayacharya
September 12th, 2009, 07:13 PM
nothing changed, nothing removed. not even able to get into the BIOS.

I had that "no audio output device detected" error for a long time in windows, so I switched to ubuntu and it worked. After a month of UBuntu, this has happened.

i also think it is more of a hardware error than software.

Rocket2DMn
September 12th, 2009, 07:19 PM
It seems that something is probably wrong with your motherboard or RAM. The best place to start is by disconnecting any devices from the system that aren't required to use the computer (printers, external drives, etc). Are you using a laptop or a desktop? Either way, you should either open the desktop chassis or unscrew the appropriate panel under the laptop and try removing the RAM chips one at a time. That is assuming you have more than one chip. You can use this to see if one of the memory chips has gone bad.
In my experience the system usually beeps when the RAM is bad, but it is not always the case. If swapping RAM modules doesn't do the trick, I would bet that something is wrong with the motherboard, but the only way to adequately test that is to try a different board which is an expensive and time consuming proposition. If you need to access data on your hard drive, you can plug the drive into a different computer and copy it off from there.
It's also possible that there is a power supply problem - is the switch on the back set to the correct voltage?

bijayacharya
September 12th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the suggestion.

Its a laptop. I will do advised and get back to you .

thanks