PDA

View Full Version : Anyone buying the Zune HD

plb
September 12th, 2009, 03:38 PM
I know it's made by Microsoft, but it just looks...AWESOME in both specs and UI..

SunnyRabbiera
September 12th, 2009, 03:47 PM
I know it's made by Microsoft, but it just looks...AWESOME in both specs and UI..

Good luck getting it to work with your Linux system.

Jesus_Valdez
September 12th, 2009, 04:09 PM
I am, the minute they bring it to Mexico.

I'm not holding my breath.

plb
September 12th, 2009, 04:12 PM

virtualbox =)

Namtabmai
September 12th, 2009, 04:20 PM
browser based on Internet Explorer Mobile 6

They kidding right?

No Linux support, no OGG/OGV support, no opera/webkit embedded I totally understand these things, but IE6 embedded?

As someone who does a little web dev I was kind of hoping that IE8/Win 7 would be the start of the end for IE6, yet Microsoft are releasing a new product that uses a version of it. They could have at least based it on IE7 :(

MellonCollie
September 12th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Looks quite nice...

Promo vids

'Portable perfection': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1hOkc2nx5A

AV Dock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm7yJSXthz0

Car pack: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRRZ1mu57xQ

HD Radio: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsgEouvlIbA

HD Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK-Atp9Il8Y

Xbox integration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLhjNdJUMf4

Zune pass: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPR2XM753Mo

pwnst*r
September 12th, 2009, 07:42 PM
They kidding right?

No Linux support, no OGG/OGV support, no opera/webkit embedded I totally understand these things, but IE6 embedded?

As someone who does a little web dev I was kind of hoping that IE8/Win 7 would be the start of the end for IE6, yet Microsoft are releasing a new product that uses a version of it. They could have at least based it on IE7 :(

hm? IE mobile 6 is NOT IE 6.

xuCGC002
September 12th, 2009, 07:59 PM
At first I thought "Whoa, this is awesome", then I realized that it's basically an iPod Touch with a radio and HD, which is cool, but an iPod Touch will actually work in Linux, and I'm not buying a Windows license again.

pwnst*r
September 12th, 2009, 08:30 PM

after looking at those vids, now i want one.

PhoHammer
September 12th, 2009, 08:31 PM
but an iPod Touch will actually work in Linux

How is that?

KiwiNZ
September 12th, 2009, 09:07 PM
It would be cool if they came down under , but alas I doubt it . I guess my Ipod touch will stay

PurposeOfReason
September 12th, 2009, 09:23 PM
I don't want one, but it's using OLED so I'm pumped. If more things use, more will come out and prices go down. I'm dreaming of the day when I can run 3 ~26" OLED monitors for a good price. ATI just put out a card that can properly deal 6 so we're getting there. I support microsoft on this.

mikewhatever
September 12th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Meh, definitely NOT buying one, and why on earth would I?

Regenweald
September 12th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Whenever i do get around to buying an extravagant music gadget, it'll probably be something form Cowon. They actually mention linux on the product page :) and all i really need is drag and drop functionality.

twright
September 12th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Well, as far as I know all of the Zunes use MTP which is a well documented and consistently implemented standard whilst iPods use an undocumented standard which apple work hard to stop others using but has been reverse engineered by popular demand.

But on the other hand, going on features I would rather have an android phone.

Giant Speck
September 12th, 2009, 10:03 PM

Do you really think anyone cares that you don't want one?

twright
September 12th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Do you really think anyone cares that you don't want one?
How many people care that you don't care that he does not want one? ;-)

ctrlmd
September 12th, 2009, 10:05 PM
yeah i will it great :P

Giant Speck
September 12th, 2009, 10:07 PM
How many people care that you don't care that he does not want one? ;-)

Over 9000.

KiwiNZ
September 12th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Over 9000.

No its 1234355648.45

you forgot the point 45 and thats just rude :P

Just imagine if you were the point 45

KiwiNZ
September 12th, 2009, 10:12 PM
And its all about who dies with most toys wins

cptrohn
September 12th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Nah... I had a Zune before... and to be honest the Zune software didn't work very will with a windows setup... I'll stick with my Cowon.... I think I can live without having HD on a PMP..:)

twright
September 12th, 2009, 10:24 PM
No its 1234355648.45

True, everyone loves a good flame war :-)

Giant Speck
September 12th, 2009, 11:01 PM
No its 1234355648.45

It depends. Is the .45 a child, a midget, or a double amputee?

bodyharvester
September 12th, 2009, 11:03 PM
It depends. Is the .45 a child, a midget, or a double amputee?

primordial dwarf? there is something like a dozen or so kinds of dwarfism

phrostbyte
September 12th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Well, as far as I know all of the Zunes use MTP which is a well documented and consistently implemented standard whilst iPods use an undocumented standard which apple work hard to stop others using but has been reverse engineered by popular demand.

But on the other hand, going on features I would rather have an android phone.

The Zune uses MTP with an additional secret handshake that has yet to be cracked. The end result is you can not communicate with a Zune using libmtp on Linux.

If you own a Zune can could help them here: http://libmtp.sourceforge.net/compatibility.php

8-)

WalmartSniperLX
September 13th, 2009, 12:08 AM
I might consider getting a Zune HD. I know it's a MS product but so is the xbox 360 just 5 feet in front of me. Who cares...

And, I've been running Linux as my only OS for years now on many different boxes, but my roommate uses Windows :)

aysiu
September 13th, 2009, 12:17 AM
an iPod Touch will actually work in Linux How do you define "work" in this context?

Giant Speck
September 13th, 2009, 12:29 AM
How do you define "work" in this context?

Well, duh. It let's you view the pictures on it! The mount notification window tells you so!

blithen
September 13th, 2009, 01:14 AM
Am I the only one who doesn't like it?
In layout and just the overall look of the device. o_o
Seems like the same old BS to me.
Ex: OMFGWTFBBQ SHINY

chriskin
September 13th, 2009, 01:19 AM

it seems worthy but i don't like it's design

aysiu
September 13th, 2009, 01:40 AM
Well, duh. It let's you view the pictures on it! The mount notification window tells you so!
If what you're saying is true...

1. that's the first time I've heard it

2. perhaps you should update the community documentation on iPods (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PortableDevices/iPod):
Ubuntu works very well with iPods, except the iPod Touch, iPhone, and any other future generation Apple portable devices that do not show up as a generic storage device. To sync with these new-generation devices, you must perform an unsupported Jailbreak operation to gain SSH access to the device (the iPhone) over wifi.

twright
September 13th, 2009, 02:07 AM
The Zune uses MTP with an additional secret handshake that has yet to be cracked. The end result is you can not communicate with a Zune using libmtp on Linux.

If you own a Zune can could help them here: http://libmtp.sourceforge.net/compatibility.php

8-)
Oh great, then it is the same old Apple BS. Looks like the product is modeled after the iPod in more ways than one.

ctrlmd
September 13th, 2009, 03:01 AM
WHO cares if the product from microsoft or from any other company

the only thing that concern is it worth the price and do i need the all the features which

provided by this product or not

aysiu
September 13th, 2009, 03:12 AM

the only thing that concern is it worth the price and do i need the all the features which

provided by this product or not I care.

I'm not a legislator. I'm not a programmer. I'm not a celebrity. The only power I have as a consumer to influence companies is the purchasing power of my money. Vote with your wallet. If you want to support companies that use bullying tactics and legal muscle to maintain a virtual monopoly, go out of their way to break compatibility and interoperability with other operating systems or software, and tell you what you have legitimately paid for is not "genuine," then, sure... buy stuff from Microsoft.

I prefer to support companies that support open standards and open source... and that also produce quality products.

P.S. A key feature of any product for me, as a Linux user, is that it works with Linux. I don't want to do a lot of research for tutorials on how to "jailbreak" a device and then re-"jailbreak" it every time there is an update in the firmware or software. I just want to plug it into my Linux computer and have it work. That is why I have a Sansa Clip. That is why I have an Android phone. That is why I bought a netbook with Linux preinstalled on it.

HappyFeet
September 13th, 2009, 03:15 AM

provided by this product or not

I care. I am boycotting MS for personal reasons. Is that OK?

I care.

I'm not a legislator. I'm not a programmer. I'm not a celebrity. The only power I have as a consumer to influence companies is the purchasing power of my money. Vote with your wallet. If you want to support companies that use bullying tactics and legal muscle to maintain a virtual monopoly, go out of their way to break compatibility and interoperability with other operating systems or software, and tell you what you have legitimately paid for is not "genuine," then, sure... buy stuff from Microsoft.

I prefer to support companies that support open standards and open source... and that also produce quality products.

P.S. A key feature of any product for me, as a Linux user, is that it works with Linux. I don't want to do a lot of research for tutorials on how to "jailbreak" a device and then re-"jailbreak" it every time there is an update in the firmware or software. I just want to plug it into my Linux computer and have it work. That is why I have a Sansa Clip. That is why I have an Android phone. That is why I bought a netbook with Linux preinstalled on it.

That's what I wanted to say, but I am not as good with words as you. If these companies thumb their noses at linux, I do the same back to them. Nuff said.

xuCGC002
September 13th, 2009, 03:19 AM

2. perhaps you should update the community documentation on iPods (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PortableDevices/iPod):

I was actually referring to the fact that you could SSH into the iPod Touch after jailbreaking it. The Zune, however, is almost totally inacessable.

j.bell730
September 13th, 2009, 03:29 AM
Nah, I think I'll pass on this one. Also, aysiu pretty much said all I wanted to say.

phrostbyte
September 13th, 2009, 03:36 AM
I was actually referring to the fact that you could SSH into the iPod Touch after jailbreaking it. The Zune, however, is almost totally inacessable.

The iPod / iPhone communication protocol is well understood, so it's not that difficult to sync an iPod with Linux despite Apple's intentions (see: libiphone). But keep in mind Apple is hostile to anyone who doesn't want to use iTunes, so they might break this library in the future. The Zune is also locked down, but it's NOT (as of the time of this writing) possible to upload files to a Zune on Linux, and never was.

That's not necessarily because it's harder to hack a Zune then an iPhone, it's just that the hackers who know how to break encrypted secret handshakes and what not don't own a Zune, so very little work has been done. :)

If you want to change this Zune owners, I suggestion you join the libmtp mailing list and see if you can help them in any way.

ctrlmd
September 13th, 2009, 04:02 AM
I care.

supporting open source does have to make you stop using anything else that you might need just because you support it yeah you can find quickly an alternative to that product but if you like it why not buy it.

but since your using linux as main and only operating system
you have the full right to search for a product that works with your operating system and you dont hassle to make it works with your OS.

to me i would use anything that i might need
open or closed source
thats why i use ubuntu, windows and i might buy mac if have the need for it.

all i was saying enjoy everything around you.

ctrlmd
September 13th, 2009, 04:05 AM
I care. I am boycotting MS for personal reasons. Is that OK?

lol nope feel free to boycotting all world if you want its your choice not mine.

aysiu
September 13th, 2009, 04:05 AM
supporting open source does have to make you stop using anything else that you might need just because you support it yeah you can find quickly an alternative to that product but if you like it why not buy it. I don't need a Zune.

you have to full right to search for a product that works with your operating system and you dont hassle to make it works with your OS. Exactly my point.

all i was saying enjoy everything around you. And all I'm saying is I can't enjoy a product that doesn't work with what I already have. It's like buying an XBox game if you have only a PS3. Or buying meat if everyone in your household is vegetarian. Or buying gas/petrol if you don't own a car.

I use Linux. So an iPod Touch or Zune will not be an enjoyable experience for me. It'll be annoying to try (and fail) to get it to work with the system I already have. I do enjoy everything around me... everything that works for me.

pwnst*r
September 13th, 2009, 04:11 AM

great post. would read again.

HappyFeet
September 13th, 2009, 04:18 AM

Everything around me is not necessarily good, or wanted.

ctrlmd
September 13th, 2009, 04:27 AM
Everything around me is not necessarily good, or wanted.
[necessarily good] that's depend on how you think and act about all things around you.
[wanted] correct.

j.bell730
September 13th, 2009, 05:07 AM
supporting open source does have to make you stop using anything else that you might need just because you support it yeah you can find quickly an alternative to that product but if you like it why not buy it.

you have the full right to search for a product that works with your operating system and you dont hassle to make it works with your OS.

to me i would use anything that i might need
open or closed source
thats why i use ubuntu, windows and i might buy mac if have the need for it.

I'm not trying to say that I'm not going to buy it because it's closed source. I have absolutely no problem with using something closed source.
What I am trying to say, however, is that I don't want to use something Microsoft is selling, because of their business practices. It's a well known (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boycott), and very powerful (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montgomery_Bus_Boycott) way to say that you don't agree (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swadeshi_movement) with an organization's way of doing things. That's what people here are trying to say to Microsoft.

pwnst*r
September 13th, 2009, 05:25 AM
I'm not trying to say that I'm not going to buy it because it's closed source. I have absolutely no problem with using something closed source.
What I am trying to say, however, is that I don't want to use something Microsoft is selling, because of their business practices. It's a well known (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boycott), and very powerful (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montgomery_Bus_Boycott) way to say that you don't agree (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swadeshi_movement) with an organization's way of doing things. That's what people here are trying to say to Microsoft.

expected.

aysiu
September 13th, 2009, 05:35 AM
expected. also expected.

Jim!
September 13th, 2009, 05:42 AM
I was looking at the Zune HD the other day after seeing the quick glimpse of gaming on it on Engadget. I have to say it's got some impressive specs but I don't have any intention of buying one, unless it proves to be really, really good. HTC Hero is also looking pretty impressive...

pwnst*r
September 13th, 2009, 05:46 AM
also expected.

this is true. but you know as soon as anything MS is posted, they come out of the woodwork. we've heard it a million times. ok, we get it, you don't want anything to do with MS. we get it.

Frak
September 13th, 2009, 06:53 AM
I WILL be buying one of these. I currently have a Zune (4GB and 120GB) and I must say that these have to be the best media players I have ever had. But the main reason

THE MAIN REASON

I am going to buy a Zune HD is because of Microsoft's superb support. Oh, your Zune broke? You need it fixed? Let us ship you a box, and let us pay for postage both ways including the repairs and service.

Need prompt support, call us and you'll be on the line with an operator before you can turn and say "they'll never answer".

I've never been put on hold, their support is quick and polite, and their repair/replacement services are quick and free, in every sense of the word free, shipping and all.

Viva
September 13th, 2009, 03:59 PM
I care.

Couldn't agree more. well said:popcorn:

Giant Speck
September 13th, 2009, 04:21 PM

I was joking. The only thing that Ubuntu does when it detects that an iPod Touch or iPhone has been plugged in is that "a media device containing photos" has been mounted and offers to open the photos in FSpot.

The problem is, even though it says it is a media device containing photos, it does not open the photos that are actually saved within the device.

aysiu
September 13th, 2009, 04:28 PM
I was joking. The only thing that Ubuntu does when it detects that an iPod Touch or iPhone has been plugged in is that "a media device containing photos" has been mounted and offers to open the photos in FSpot.

The problem is, even though it says it is a media device containing photos, it does not open the photos that are actually saved within the device. Sorry. Missed that.

pwnst*r
September 16th, 2009, 02:25 PM
back on topic

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2009/09/zune-hd-review.ars

cptrohn
September 16th, 2009, 02:48 PM
At this point in time I think my next purchase is going to be a MID, preferably one with 3G embedded.....

I think I would rather do that then spend a bunch of money for a PMP... but thats just me.

Joe_Strummer
September 16th, 2009, 03:12 PM
I WILL be buying one of these. I currently have a Zune (4GB and 120GB) and I must say that these have to be the best media players I have ever had. But the main reason

THE MAIN REASON

I am going to buy a Zune HD is because of Microsoft's superb support. Oh, your Zune broke? You need it fixed? Let us ship you a box, and let us pay for postage both ways including the repairs and service.

Need prompt support, call us and you'll be on the line with an operator before you can turn and say "they'll never answer".

I've never been put on hold, their support is quick and polite, and their repair/replacement services are quick and free, in every sense of the word free, shipping and all.

Agreed. The support team for the Zune has never been anything short of excellent whenever I've dealt with them. Credit where credit is due, Microsoft has done a fine job with the Zune thus far.

Giant Speck
September 16th, 2009, 06:45 PM
back on topic

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2009/09/zune-hd-review.ars

You seriously expect this to stay on topic? Good luck with that. ;)

N9NE
September 16th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Certainly, Because I love buying things with zero functionality in Linux.

pwnst*r
September 16th, 2009, 07:36 PM
You seriously expect this to stay on topic? Good luck with that. ;)

yeah well...

i may buy one because that interface looks slick, although functionality-wise it won't outdo my iphone.

dmglouis
September 16th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Though the specs are nice, I'm not a big fan of the blocky exterior. I wish it was more curvy. The lack of Linux support is not a huge dealbreaker for me because I've got a Windows partition that I use about half the time.

pwnst*r
September 16th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Though the specs are nice, I'm not a big fan of the blocky exterior. I wish it was more curvy. The lack of Linux support is not a huge dealbreaker for me because I've got a Windows partition that I use about half the time.

real question: how would you design a device to be curvy when it needs to have a wide screen? i would imagine any curves added would add bulk. nobody wants that.

tjwoosta
September 16th, 2009, 09:16 PM
I would have no problem with using an MS or apple product, but only if it works with linux. That said I wouldn't buy an ipod touch or a zune HD even if they did work with linux because the only thing I would ever use either of them for would be to play music, all the other functions are simply over rated.

dmglouis
September 16th, 2009, 09:30 PM
real question: how would you design a device to be curvy when it needs to have a wide screen? i would imagine any curves added would add bulk. nobody wants that.

True, but I don't think I'd like to hold a device with edges like that for an extended period of time.

Giant Speck
September 16th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Does the Zune HD have FM radio like earlier models?

That's something I wish the iPhone and iPod Touch had. Apple is just now getting around to adding that feature to the smaller iPods.

Frak
September 16th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Does the Zune HD have FM radio like earlier models?

Absolutely. I don't know for sure, but if Microsoft does the same thing they always do, it'll have FM.

sudoer541
September 16th, 2009, 10:56 PM

No, not gonna buy it. I am mostly an ipod fan lol
IMO I think zune looks very classic compared to the new line of ipods from Apple.
At this time I have ipod touch 2G(thank god!) The 3G ipod touch kinda sucks because the battery it only has 30h music and 5h video. On ipod 2G its 36h music and 6h video. However the newest ipod is supposedly faster (My 2G is fast enough)
Maybe in October ill but Windows 7 (if it has good reviews)

Good luck with your purchase
regards

misfitpierce
September 16th, 2009, 11:00 PM
I care.

Well said... +1

tlois
September 16th, 2009, 11:05 PM
I confess!!! I got mine yesterday and it is great. The reason I got it had nothing to do with who makes it or who doesn't make it. I got it because I absolutely love subscription music services and I can download directly to the device from my home wi-fi. I had to do the updates on it with my work laptop with Windows, but after that, I don't need no stinkin' Windows. You can re-do your licenses via wi-fi too.

Not being able to use Napster to Go anymore was the only thing I was very bummed about when I switched to Ubuntu. I will be giving my my 15 dollars a month to Bill- the Zune Marketplace has to-go and you have to use it to get the to-go service with the Zune. I have no beef with Bill- I hate Windows.

It is a pretty nice little device. I really like my Sony player too, but was tired of booting in and out of Windows to do Napster with it, so actually, I will be using Windows less with this Zune. How ironic.

blur xc
September 16th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Well said... +1

From my layman's point of view, the Zune HD is an impressive piece of hardware, and the problems with it lie in it's software.

Would it be in any way possible to wipe it of it's MS software and write some variation of Android to run on it instead (think HTC hero-ish)? That would be pretty sweet...

BM

overfloat
September 23rd, 2009, 05:59 PM
Everyone knows that the n900 is the device of the future.

If you were looking for just mp3/browsing capability then a n810/n800 would do you well

pwnst*r
September 23rd, 2009, 06:15 PM
Everyone knows that the n900 is the device of the future.

If you were looking for just mp3/browsing capability then a n810/n800 would do you well

no.

DeadSuperHero
September 23rd, 2009, 06:38 PM
The ZuneHD does look mighty nice, and reviews have been fairly positive...

But, until libmtp gains support for it, I guess it's a no-go.

On the other hand, don't most Android devices support syncing, or at least mounting? If I recall properly, Banshee has G1 Support. Assuming that this includes other Android devices, maybe getting the HTC Hero might be a good idea for me...

SomeGuyDude
September 23rd, 2009, 06:42 PM
If there's a way to make it work on Linux, I'm buying one. And I'm going to stream content to my Xbox 360.

Unlike most, I absolutely don't hate Microsoft. They're fine by me. I just prefer something else over one of their products.

aysiu
September 23rd, 2009, 07:06 PM
On the other hand, don't most Android devices support syncing, or at least mounting? If I recall properly, Banshee has G1 Support. Assuming that this includes other Android devices, maybe getting the HTC Hero might be a good idea for me... Android devices support mounting as USB mass storage with drag and drop for music and pictures. I do like the idea of syncing in theory (less work), but in practice it seems to tie you down to one program (iTunes or Windows Media Player).

I think it'd be great if someone wrote a "syncing" program (cross-platform for Windows, Mac, and Linux) in which you synced a particular folder for particular USB storage devices. It'd work sort of like DropBox or Ubuntu One, except instead of syncing to a remote server, it'd sync to a USB device.

The syncing that exists for Android, if you use your Google account a lot, happens through "the cloud" for contacts, GMail, and calendar.

overfloat
September 23rd, 2009, 07:46 PM
The N900 is linux-based - a little support for OSS please people

http://maemo.nokia.com/n900/

pwnst*r
September 23rd, 2009, 07:58 PM

there's a thread for that. how about not crapping on this one.

Frak
September 23rd, 2009, 09:13 PM

OSS makes no difference to me in the end result. If it's usable, and has a lot of reasonable features, I couldn't care less if it was OSS or not.

doorknob60
September 23rd, 2009, 10:31 PM
OSS makes no difference to me in the end result. If it's usable, and has a lot of reasonable features, I couldn't care less if it was OSS or not.

Until there's official support for Linux AND open formats like OGG, I won't even consider buying one. I sure wouldn't want to reboot just to add a few songs...I'm perfectly happy with my OGG supporting, Linux compatible Sansa.

aysiu
September 23rd, 2009, 10:34 PM
OSS makes no difference to me in the end result. If it's usable, and has a lot of reasonable features, I couldn't care less if it was OSS or not. For those of us who have Linux computers at home (not dual-booting with Windows), a product isn't "usable" if it works only on Windows.

My Android phone is usable. My Sandisk MP3 player is usable. A Zune HD would not be usable for me. An iPod Touch would not be usable for me.

overfloat
September 23rd, 2009, 10:38 PM
there's a thread for that. how about not crapping on this one.

I don't mean to feed the trolls, but I don't see why people are allowed to post about iPods and I can't post about a n900. (there are a lot more iPod threads than there are n900 threads)

I personally believe that OSS makes a big difference - when you look at the evolution of the n800/n810 over the past few years - things that Nokia never thought that the tablet would be, were made possible through OSS (turning your tablet into a bluetooth keyboard and mouse to control your computer and presentations for example).

I didn't mean to hijack this thread - I was simply stating that I would get a n900 over the Zune HD

This is my last post.

steev182
September 23rd, 2009, 10:39 PM
Mmmm can you imagine a Dropbox client for the iPhone or Android, then you wouldn't need to use usb!

aysiu
September 23rd, 2009, 10:42 PM
Mmmm can you imagine a Dropbox client for the iPhone or Android, then you wouldn't need to use usb!
You wouldn't need USB... for transferring files, but...

1. My USB connection is still much faster for transferring MBs or even GBs of files than a 3G or wireless connection is.

2. For the iPhone, you need a USB connection (and iTunes) to upgrade the firmware (and by "need" I mean to do so in the official and easy way... if there is some weird hack that may void your warranty, that's not what I'm talking about).

Mateo
September 23rd, 2009, 10:45 PM
i don't care for single use devices, i don't have the pocket room to carry around a different device for each need.

pwnst*r
September 23rd, 2009, 10:50 PM

I don't mean to feed the trolls, but I don't see why people are allowed to post about iPods and I can't post about a n900. (there are a lot more iPod threads than there are n900 threads)

I personally believe that OSS makes a big difference - when you look at the evolution of the n800/n810 over the past few years - things that Nokia never thought that the tablet would be, were made possible through OSS (turning your tablet into a bluetooth keyboard and mouse to control your computer and presentations for example).

I didn't mean to hijack this thread - I was simply stating that I would get a n900 over the Zune HD

This is my last post.

feeding the trolls? you're the one trolling. not everyone wants to spend that kind of money on the n900 nor do they particularly need a new phone OR want a DAP and a phone combined.

Frak
September 24th, 2009, 04:20 AM
feeding the trolls? you're the one trolling. not everyone wants to spend that kind of money on the n900 nor do they particularly need a new phone OR want a DAP and a phone combined.
I agree. I'd rather have my $200 Zune over a $650 mini-computer that does 400% more than what I need.

Tharkun
September 25th, 2009, 01:10 AM
I have no need for such a thing currently so I doubt I'll be getting one.

steev182
September 25th, 2009, 01:29 AM
You wouldn't need USB... for transferring files, but...

1. My USB connection is still much faster for transferring MBs or even GBs of files than a 3G or wireless connection is.

2. For the iPhone, you need a USB connection (and iTunes) to upgrade the firmware (and by "need" I mean to do so in the official and easy way... if there is some weird hack that may void your warranty, that's not what I'm talking about).

Very true, but from my experience of using an iPhone, is that after that first sync, I only really resync 2 or 3 videos and a few podcasts, I feel that 500mb per sync is a fair amount to let transfer over wifi at home.

geoken
September 25th, 2009, 01:49 AM
I think it'd be great if someone wrote a "syncing" program (cross-platform for Windows, Mac, and Linux) in which you synced a particular folder for particular USB storage devices. It'd work sort of like DropBox or Ubuntu One, except instead of syncing to a remote server, it'd sync to a USB device.

Good news, it's already done.

Songbird + FolderSync addon. Basically folder sync accepts a target directory (ie. the directory your device gets mounted to) and presents you with a list of all your playlists. From there you select which playlists you want to sync with the player/storage device. When you're ready you initiate the sync and folder sync transfers the files and also generates on the fly M3U files (if your media library contains a complex sub folder structure folder sync can correct this when it's building it's M3U files).

Folder sync also works great for podcasts. My biggest problem with Banshee's Android support was that it didn't create playlists for podcasts, so when you tried to sync a podcast it would just dump them in the music directory.

aysiu
September 25th, 2009, 06:14 AM
Good news, it's already done.

Songbird + FolderSync addon. Basically folder sync accepts a target directory (ie. the directory your device gets mounted to) and presents you with a list of all your playlists. From there you select which playlists you want to sync with the player/storage device. When you're ready you initiate the sync and folder sync transfers the files and also generates on the fly M3U files (if your media library contains a complex sub folder structure folder sync can correct this when it's building it's M3U files).

Folder sync also works great for podcasts. My biggest problem with Banshee's Android support was that it didn't create playlists for podcasts, so when you tried to sync a podcast it would just dump them in the music directory. No, that's not what I'm talking about.

I don't want to use Songbird. It's an annoying way to manage files (and will do only music and maybe other media... not pictures and other files, as far as I know), since you can't delete files directly through Songbird. You have to find the actual location of the file and then delete the file.

billdotson
September 25th, 2009, 06:42 AM
I will have to look at this Zune HD. I don't really have any need for a portable media device of any kind. If anything I want a tablet so I can take notes for my classes, etc.

I haven't really looked at the Zune HD but I have heard the Archos 5 is a pretty capable device. However, the review on cnet complained about its browser and flash support but you can never know how reliable the reviews are. Hopefully HTML5 will come along and wipe the floor with silverlight and flash and then we shouldn't have any more of this stupid (yet preventable) proprietary problems.

That nokia n900 looks pretty cool.

The thing with these type of devices is that they don't need to do a whole lot. If you need to do everything under the sun (or close to it) and your are mobile a laptop or maybe even a netbook would be suited to you. If you want to browse the internet, play a song, check your email or watch a video one of these media devices is probably good for you. The thing is for me is that these devices are rather expensive. I would feel like I spent my money in a much smarter way if I just bought a cheap laptop. Of course, some people really want to be able to stick these devices in pockets and such, something I don't really care about; I usually just sit in front of my desktop when I am not in class :).

Frak
September 25th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Hopefully HTML5 will come along and wipe the floor with silverlight and flash and then we shouldn't have any more of this stupid (yet preventable) proprietary problems.

From experience, HTML5 Video support is a mess. There's no standard video file to use, because it's all dependent on the client platform. Problem with this is, is that some browsers, such as Firefox, refuse to support anything past Ogg Theora/Vorbis and WAV. On the other end of the spectrum, Safari only plays (as far as I know) H.264. This set in stone as it stands. Safari will play H.264, and not Ogg, while Firefox will play Ogg, but not H.264. A video that plays in Firefox will not play in Safari, and vice-versa.

Besides that, there are just little features that would be very nice to have in <video> that won't be included period. They might be usable under Javascript, but since that varies from platform to platform, it's jut better to fire-up Flash or Flex and build your own media player.

Didn't mean to de-rail the topic, but I thought I'd give my two cents on this.

Lod
September 25th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Since all of my cd's are ripped in ogg I need ogg support. Since Zune doesn't support it I will not buy it. Also I'm not to eager on Microsoft products.

But if they ever will bring out their Courier (http://gizmodo.com/5365299/courier-first-details-of-microsofts-secret-tablet) I will be tempted, very tempted.

billdotson
September 25th, 2009, 07:14 AM
HTML 5 is still being worked on. With regular HTML there isn't only one photo format that can be used so why is this a big issue with video tags? Mozilla and anyone else who supports open video (whether it be ogg theora or another open format) needs to stand its ground against Apple. The HTML5 standard and an open video format would get us out of the flash (and some silverlight) plug-in nonsense we have been having to deal with. I don't ever want to have to install flash on my linux box again. I just don't understand why anyone other than Apple would want to push a format that (I think) has royalties associated with it. Don't people want to save money? I believe a lot of the cool features for html5 video are going to be done with javascript. The thing is with that though is that javascript is on basically everything isn't it (is it built into some browsers?)?

As far as ogg, yeah there aren't many players that do (as far as I know). Even though the Nokia n9000 is an OS using the linux kernel I don't see it saying it supports ogg vorbis or theora, which I think is strange. Perhaps it is just assumed that it running linux it will support that?

One thing I did just see about the Zune is that it has video out. That smacks the ipod touch right in the face. Now if Microsoft would be smart and roll out a huge application database like Apple is doing they could *possibly* hurt them. What Microsoft REALLY should do is make an xbox-ish portable gaming system or integrate that into the Zune. I personally prefer my PC (although DRM and slackness because everyone likes to make stuff for the consoles is making it more and more annoying. At least my graphics look better and for the most part I can use whatever input device I want) but have you seen the mass amounts of xbox fans/fanatics? Let that mobile device connect to live and you'd have people going bonkers. Even more, they could add xbox 360 controller support. I bet they have something similar in the works.

Really though, I am getting fairly serious about my purchases and supporting open source. I want an Android or Linux based smartphone (not many choices for Verizon eh?) that doesn't suck and a Linux tablet pc with some good tablet support (note taking applications, wacom functionality, etc.; hopefully the touchbook will meet this desire). Aside from games and some devices drivers (which I am having no issues with currently) I have no reason to use Windows. I might have to use some special programs for classes later but right now I am trying to be as open as possible. I just need word processing stuff right now for most classes and for computer science classes I would hope there wouldn't be too many Windows-dependent things we would have to do.

Side note: The Courier looks really cool. Hopefully it will have wireless keyboard support. Although, I still can't help but want to get a Linux netbook. Always Innovating's Touch Book looks really cool, the only downsides to it are that it runs on an ARM processor (which is good except for me or someone else would have to rewrite x86 linux software for it), no video out and (quite possibly) no external DVD support (including watching commercial films without and possible legal hiccups (like a commercial player for instance), but hey, most linux users are probably accustomed to not doing that without getting the css thing)

twright
September 27th, 2009, 02:51 PM
From experience, HTML5 Video support is a mess. There's no standard video file to use, because it's all dependent on the client platform. Problem with this is, is that some browsers, such as Firefox, refuse to support anything past Ogg Theora/Vorbis and WAV. On the other end of the spectrum, Safari only plays (as far as I know) H.264. This set in stone as it stands. Safari will play H.264, and not Ogg, while Firefox will play Ogg, but not H.264. A video that plays in Firefox will not play in Safari, and vice-versa.
I don't think firefox is refusing to support anything other that ogg - infact as there are already patches waiting which will add support for all codecs which the client os supports so in 3.6 or later we could be seeing pretty much universal video support in firefox at least.

Anyway it is all academic until Microsoft add support (though I doubt the will doing anything within the next 5 years, and then it will not be ogg).

slibuntu
October 27th, 2009, 12:11 PM
There are 2 ways to go about this, we could all boycott the device and hope that it sends out a message to Microsoft that they should change their ways. (It won't)

There is another way. We do buy the device, hack it, open it up, and continually do it until Microsoft realise that they really should just leave us to our own devices.

Will this work? Maybe. The PSP is an example of where Sony are still trying to lock out hackers with every new firmware update.

The iPhone and iPod is actually a good example, hackers opened it up, and then Apple smartened up and started letting people make apps.

I think activism in this case is better than doing nothing

twright
October 27th, 2009, 12:57 PM
No; converting rocks in a thankless task.
There are 2 ways to go about this, we could all boycott the device and hope that it sends out a message to Microsoft that they should change their ways. (It won't)

There is another way. We do buy the device, hack it, open it up, and continually do it until Microsoft realise that they really should just leave us to our own devices.

Will this work? Maybe. The PSP is an example of where Sony are still trying to lock out hackers with every new firmware update.

The iPhone and iPod is actually a good example, hackers opened it up, and then Apple smartened up and started letting people make apps.

I think activism in this case is better than doing nothing

mybunche
October 27th, 2009, 01:24 PM
No Linux support = no buy

Simple.

I am waiting for a iPod Touch equivalent for Linux.

bshosey
January 8th, 2010, 04:45 AM
I am also waiting for Linux alternative to the ipod touch. it would be great if there was a linux firmware replacement for the ipod touch.

NightHawk877
January 8th, 2010, 06:10 AM
@mybunche amd Bshosey, Have you two seen Cowon's S9. It has excellent Linux support, apps, custom themes and the sound quality is through the roof! I have their D2 and love it.

millard_scott
December 12th, 2010, 11:32 PM
I am, the minute they bring it to Mexico.

I'm not holding my breath.
I have Vista on one hard drive and Ubuntu on another so i just boot up vista when need be ha ha

millard_scott
December 12th, 2010, 11:33 PM
I have Vista on one hard drive and Ubuntu on another so i just boot up vista when need be ha ha
I so replied to the wrong one =P
I meant to reply to the one that said "Good luck getting it to work with linux"