PDA

View Full Version : Gnome-do or "Alt F2" - your opinons pls

Ascenti0n
September 12th, 2009, 10:06 AM
I use Alt F2 when I want to run commonly used apps quickly, rather than hunting through the menus.

Gnome-do is popular (among those who arn't bothered it's written within the Mono framework), but I wanted to know the opinions of others, what Gnome-do does or doesn't do better than pressing Alt-F2, for running apps?

Exodist
September 12th, 2009, 10:31 AM
I try not to run anything off the run app. I rather use a terminal that way I can see if its running correctly. Then if it is I put a shortcut on my menu bar.

speedwell68
September 12th, 2009, 11:08 AM
I have to admit that I am a fan of Gnome-DO. You can do much more that you can with Alt+F2. I am not a fan of Docky though.

Ascenti0n
September 12th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Yeah, I suppose, unless you run 30+ different apps, whuch I don't, something like Cairo-Dock or a panel full of shortcuts is just as easy, which has the benefit of not using Mono.

Nkosi
September 12th, 2009, 12:13 PM
I prefer the terminal which I leave open in at least one workspace or access with a Ctrl-T keyboard short cut. You can also use the deskbar-applet instead of Alt-F2.

Ascenti0n
September 12th, 2009, 12:15 PM
I prefer the terminal which I leave open in at least one workspace or access with a Ctrl-T keyboard short cut. You can also use the deskbar-applet instead of Alt-F2.

Deskbar applet?

darthmob
September 12th, 2009, 12:24 PM
I use alt+f2 or keyboard shortcuts to start programs and gnome-do for a lot of other stuff like starting IM conversations, searching on google, taking screenshots or opening folders / files on my harddrive.

In addition I have got guake (http://trac.guake-terminal.org/) running all the time. It's better than leaving a terminal window open on one of the desks as you can immediately pull it down on all desks.

dragos240
September 12th, 2009, 12:31 PM
I like using grun.

-grubby
September 12th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Yeah, I suppose, unless you run 30+ different apps, whuch I don't, something like Cairo-Dock or a panel full of shortcuts is just as easy, which has the benefit of not using Mono.

The benefits of not using Mono? Really?

Vitamin-Carrot
September 12th, 2009, 12:41 PM
meh

if it works ill use it

and so far im using the docky style Gnome-Do

xpod
September 12th, 2009, 12:49 PM
I just use my panel & menus mostly, with ALT-F2 for stuff like gksudo nautilus & shares-admin etc....at the moment anyway.
I tried Gnome-Do a while ago and i`ve also tried many of the other popular launchers & docks available but i find my Firefox & Terminal icons on the panel is quite sufficient.
I dont keep permanent icons/shorcuts on my Desktop either.Anything else is subject to change at a moments notice but the one constant is no shortcuts on the Desktop.

hoppipolla
September 12th, 2009, 01:21 PM
I use Gnome-DO, it's good! Does much more than any other similar tool for Ubuntu that I've come across and does it instantly too :)

It's not perfect, but it does the job :)

Metallion
September 12th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Can anyone explain what gnome-do actually does that alt+f2 doesn't? I've heard the name of that app pass so many times but I haven't really got an idea why I'd want it.

Tibuda
September 12th, 2009, 02:02 PM
The benefits of not using Mono? Really?

+1
I can only see benefits on using Mono: Gnome Do, Banshee, Tomboy.

Can anyone explain what gnome-do actually does that alt+f2 doesn't? I've heard the name of that app pass so many times but I haven't really got an idea why I'd want it.

If you type "frf" in Alt-F2 it won't launch anything, but Gnome Do will launch Firefox.

Gnome-Do can also search in your music library, files, pidgin/evolution/gmail contacts, firefox/epiphany bookmarks, tomboy notes...

speedwell68
September 12th, 2009, 02:25 PM
I know I am going to regret asking this, but what is the problem with Mono?

RiceMonster
September 12th, 2009, 02:28 PM
I use gmrun (in xfce). I don't like gnome or xfce's run dialog because they don't have proper tab completion. gmrun has tab completion like you see in bash. GNOME-do is pretty cool too, but for me personally, I didn't find any advantages to using it.

Nothing. However, it's an implementation of .NET, which is a Microsoft product so for that reason alone, according to some people, it's evil.

chriskin
September 12th, 2009, 02:38 PM
gnome - do was using more than 70% of my cpu until recently, so i haven't given it any chance to prove itself.

i happen to not use banshee, tomboy or gnome-do, but i can't understand the whole mono-is-evil kind of thing. if it's about fear for suing from microsoft, microsoft said that they won't do it. so what's the real problem?

sertse
September 12th, 2009, 02:39 PM
gmrun is awesome. Light and standalone, and has tab completion. My needs are simple: Just opening apps, and opening them to particular places.

Unfortunately it needs a proper maintainer in Debian, which would also affect Ubuntu at some point...

hoppipolla
September 12th, 2009, 03:16 PM

Oh nooooo nooo don't ask that question! *bangs head against table* lol xD

Ascenti0n
September 12th, 2009, 03:16 PM
gnome - do was using more than 70% of my cpu until recently, so i haven't given it any chance to prove itself.

i happen to not use banshee, tomboy or gnome-do, but i can't understand the whole mono-is-evil kind of thing. if it's about fear for suing from microsoft, microsoft said that they won't do it. so what's the real problem?

I know there are loons out there that hate anything Microsoft, not me, I think MS turns out some really good stuff, albeit not without various issues. No, I am sceptical of Mono, and I'll admit that scepticism come s with a certain amount of FUD, but it's FUD based on MS's proven track record of hard and dirty business tactics towards it's competitors, goods and services.

Just because MS said they wouldn't bring lawsuits, does mean it wont.

chriskin
September 12th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Just because MS said they wouldn't bring lawsuits, does mean it wont.

by making mistake here you said something real :)

on the other hand though, i can't understand why one would use mono. there are some languages similar to mono and C# , why aren't they used instead of it to avoid confusion withing the community?

Tibuda
September 12th, 2009, 03:23 PM

on the other hand though, i can't understand why one would use mono. there are some languages similar to mono and C# , why aren't they used instead of it to avoid confusion withing the community?

This is getting too off-topic, but let people use whatever they like to code. This is freedom. Mono is more than just a language, it is a framework. It is not only because of the C# language that people are using it.

chriskin
September 12th, 2009, 03:24 PM
This is getting too off-topic, but let people use whatever they like to code. This is freedom. Mono is more than just a language, it is a framework. It is not only because of the C# language that people are using it.

true , this is getting too off-topic
:popcorn:

Ascenti0n
September 12th, 2009, 03:45 PM
true , this is getting too off-topic
:popcorn:

I don't mind, it's my topic and others seem to have a genuine interest in it too. Besides, off topic would be if someone started talking about something quite unrelated, topic hijacking I call it, and it's happened to me many times and it vexes me so. Mono is related and I included it in my OP, so it's really OK.

wersdaluv
September 12th, 2009, 03:51 PM
I prefer GNOME Do because of speed and usability. This app is probably more responsive than any other launcher. It summons/opens faster and you can type just fragements of the app name to arrive to the app you want. If I want to run Pidgin, I just summon Do then type P then hit enter. Pidgin is out.

chriskin
September 12th, 2009, 03:52 PM
like me saying that i like your signature :)

back to topic, i installed gnome-do once more, the bug that was eating my cpu is gone and now i use it(or "will use" to be more accurate)
i only use alt-f2 for metacity --replace and compiz --replace when i need it done (i have done it that way that many times that i press the buttons before i realise it)

Ascenti0n
September 12th, 2009, 04:13 PM
like me saying that i like your signature :)

back to topic, i installed gnome-do once more, the bug that was eating my cpu is gone and now i use it(or "will use" to be more accurate)
i only use alt-f2 for metacity --replace and compiz --replace when i need it done (i have done it that way that many times that i press the buttons before i realise it)

Glad to hear you are having a better experience this time round.

I'm going to give it a go, due to many saying (and Gnome-do website), that 'Do' learns, so I suppose if you had 2 apps, one called Firefox and one called Firethingy, it would promote FireFox first if it was used more often. just guessing.

BTW, why do you have a need to disable compiz? keyboard shortcut conflicts?

chriskin
September 12th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Glad to hear you are having a better experience this time round.

I'm going to give it a go, due to many saying (and Gnome-do website), that 'Do' learns, so I suppose if you had 2 apps, one called Firefox and one called Firethingy, it would promote FireFox first if it was used more often. just guessing.

i haven't seen something like this in action but i think i have read about it as well
i mostly want to use gnome-do because it can use rhythmbox and play music from there.like searching for Nightwish and get their cds, then check the one you want and press enter, rhythmbox starts and the music starts rocking :)

BTW, why do you have a need to disable compiz? keyboard shortcut conflicts?

no, i disable it in order to be able to play certain games
compiz and games are NOT playing nice together :S

keiichidono
September 12th, 2009, 04:49 PM

Mono is good for a lot of things, but i think Vala is waaaaaaay better because it offers the same features but is much lighter on resources.

chriskin
September 12th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Mono is good for a lot of things, but i think Vala is waaaaaaay better because it offers the same features but is much lighter on resources.

yep. i've read it on your blog, that's where what i said came from :):popcorn:

toupeiro
September 12th, 2009, 05:59 PM
If you're only using gnome-do for launching apps, you're only doing 25% of what gnome-do is capable of. It drafts gmail emails for me, it ties into pidgin lists, indexes all my documents, modifies shared calendars and so much more..