PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to add login window themes

futureal2032
September 12th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Hi,

i know we can change the Ubuntu default "login window" theme from

System/Administration/Login Window - Local

and Ubuntu has provided some good login screens...

but there is an "Add" button there which lets you add a new theme..

My questions are:
1. where can i get new themes for Login Window?
2. If possible how can i make my own login window themes?
3. what type of files are used for login window themes (file extention) and where are login window themes installed/stored (location)?

its not a critical issue..but iw ould like to have a different login window.

:o

staf0048
September 12th, 2009, 05:51 AM
www.gnome-look.org

Lots of GDM themes to browse through. I've never played with it so I'm not sure on the file formats or making my own, but I don't see why you couldn't use one of the themes from this sight as a template - since it's open source and all . . .

ithinkitschad
September 12th, 2009, 05:51 AM
Hi,

i know we can change the Ubuntu default "login window" theme from

System/Administration/Login Window - Local

and Ubuntu has provided some good login screens...

but there is an "Add" button there which lets you add a new theme..

My questions are:
1. where can i get new themes for Login Window?
2. If possible how can i make my own login window themes?
3. what type of files are used for login window themes (file extention) and where are login window themes installed/stored (location)?

its not a critical issue..but iw ould like to have a different login window.

:o

http://www.gnome-look.org/ (http://www.gnome-look.org/) :D

futureal2032
September 12th, 2009, 06:46 AM
www.gnome-look.org

Lots of GDM themes to browse through. I've never played with it so I'm not sure on the file formats or making my own, but I don't see why you couldn't use one of the themes from this sight as a template - since it's open source and all . . .

Thanks ... i will do that. Any idea whats Ubuntu's default store path for these themes?

akakingess
September 12th, 2009, 10:07 AM
The only other thing that I will mention is that I think that in Ubuntu the "login screen" is referred to as "usplash", so maybe a search for "usplash" might come up with some results, and I know that you can change that screen (as in create your own) without having to change your entire Theme.

staf0048
September 13th, 2009, 12:27 AM
The only other thing that I will mention is that I think that in Ubuntu the "login screen" is referred to as "usplash"

The "login" screen, where you put your username and password is known as GDM. At gnome-look.org click on the GDM themes link to find login screens.

The Usplash screen is what comes up right after grub - you know that screen that has a progress bar and just before the log in screen?

To change your usplash, I'd suggest installing "StartUp-Manager" through synaptic as if you do something wrong it will mess up your system.

Any idea whats Ubuntu's default store path for these themes?

I've never messed around with it, but I believe they're under:

/usr/share/gdm/themes

futureal2032
September 13th, 2009, 04:47 AM
The "login" screen, where you put your username and password is known as GDM. At gnome-look.org click on the GDM themes link to find login screens.

The Usplash screen is what comes up right after grub - you know that screen that has a progress bar and just before the log in screen?

To change your usplash, I'd suggest installing "StartUp-Manager" through synaptic as if you do something wrong it will mess up your system.

I've never messed around with it, but I believe they're under:

/usr/share/gdm/themes

Thanks guys...its all i needed. Apreciate the replies