PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No Menu at start - XP starts immediately

Observador Celeste
September 12th, 2009, 03:08 AM
Sorry, I'm kinda new to Ubuntu, so I think this might be a dumb question...
I tried Ubuntu before, and after installing it it would give me a menu where I could choose which OS to start with.
I decided to install Ubuntu 8.04.3 (H. Heron) in a HD which originally had only Win XP, but this time it just ignores Ubuntu and it goes straight to XP-
I thought this might be an error during installation, so I decided to insert the CD and reinstall Ubuntu. The disk partition assigned to Ubuntu is not recognized, and with the CD, I only have the option to reassign the HD space that windows XP still has, but I don't have any access to the mew Ubuntu partition..
How can I get the menu to choose between Ubuntu or XP, or at least repair the disk to gain that space back?
Thanks in advance.

XDevHald
September 12th, 2009, 03:28 AM
Here is your solution: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7895589

Let us know if you have any other questions.

drs305
September 12th, 2009, 03:31 AM
First, welcome to Ubuntu.

It's hard to tell what happened. I suggest you boot to the LiveCD desktop and then you can run a couple of things to see what happened during the attempted install.

Open a terminal (Applications, Accessories, Terminal). Run this command:

sudo fdisk -l

If you created a Linux partition, you should see something that includes these lines:

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 1675 13454406 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2 2720 7296 36764752+ f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sda5 * 1676 2719 8385930 83 Linux
/dev/sda65 2720 2974 2048256 82 Linux swap / Solaris

The two highlighted partitions would be your Linux partition and the swap partition.

If you find something similar, next you can open Gparted to get a graphical idea of what happened during the install:

gksudo gparted
You can also open it from the Main Menu: System, Administration, Partition Manager.

Take a look and tell us what you have found. At least we will know if Ubuntu was installed and can go from there.

You can also take a look at here if you think you have a good installation:
How to restore the Ubuntu/XP/Vista bootloader (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1014708)