PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu or Kubuntu

lifeperfecti0n
February 6th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Hi all,
So wat do u ppl say? I personally think Gnome is 2 good 2 b true...KDE makes me puke since it is an unsuccessful attempt at copying Windows:mad: ...Let's c which 1 wins...
Did I hear some1 say brown is bad? Vel I don't exactly disagree...but Ubuntu is human u know...:)

Ramses de Norre
February 6th, 2006, 08:28 PM
I can kinda predict the results, were in the gnome part of the forum:)

ajgreeny
February 6th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Do we really need to go through this discussion again? All the Gnome people will say it is best by far and all the KDE people will disagree strongly.
Just accept that not all people are the same or want the same things from their system, and lets give this old chestnut a rest!
If you really want to look at the pro's and cons of the desktops, do a search on the forum and you'll find masses of threads.

rockrhino27
February 6th, 2006, 08:47 PM
I'm loving the Gnome, but would like to familiar myself more with Enlightenment.

fuscia
February 6th, 2006, 08:52 PM
i like all the weird little wms, like 9wm, ratpoison, flwm, etc.

KingBahamut
February 6th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Xfce.

Derek Djons
February 6th, 2006, 09:08 PM
I think it's time again to post a sticky thread about searching the forum before double posting :)

p.s. Gnome!

briancurtin
February 6th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Xfce.
yep

i think this is the 73rd time ive voted in a poll about this same topic

Perfect Storm
February 6th, 2006, 09:22 PM
yep

i think this is the 73rd time ive voted in a poll about this same topic

Heh, Better to vote one time to many than miss a great oppotunity to set your finger prints on something important :P

Voted: Gnome by the way.

SuperDiscoMachine V.5.7-3
February 6th, 2006, 09:24 PM
.KDE makes me puke since it is an unsuccessful attempt at copying Windows:mad:
Apart from being untrue, as anyone who ever used KDE for more than five minutes knows, don't you think that such a statement is simply dumb and insulting a great free software project?

Do you really think that is the way people who prefer Gnome should talk about an other free desktop?

P.S.: And stop your feeble attempts at leet speak. There's only one thing more ridiculous than people using leet speek and that's people trying to use it and failing.

GeneralZod
February 6th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Apart from being untrue, as anyone who ever used KDE for more than five minutes knows, don't you think that such a statement is simply dumb and insulting a great free software project?

Agreed (apart from the "dumb" part :)). I find KDE's resemblances to Windows to be superficial at most (and even then, KDE is so configurable that you can make it look like and behave pretty much any way you want), and vastly prefer it to the Windows shell. The API's and general code organisation are also pretty impressive for such a large project. If I couldn't use KDE, I probably wouldn't use Linux at all :)

manicka
February 6th, 2006, 09:40 PM
If it's Linux and you like it, then it's all good :)

lifeperfecti0n
February 6th, 2006, 09:46 PM
Hi all,
Well I was giving my honest opinion about KDE. I have used it for MORE than 5 minutes by the way. Let me tell you my 1st experience...
The 1st linux distro which I had was Fedora-quite cool but not so easy to manage. After that I tried Xandros...with KDE. I didn't like it...the screen was blurred...the theme was too gaudy...stability was low...nywayz I wanted to remove it-and to do so I had to erase my entire hard disk coz Lilo had overwritten the MBR and corrupted the partition tables! I switched backed to Fedora, then tried Mandrake. It was similarly too flashy...AND it took me two days to download. Moreover my RAM did not like working soo hard for some unknown reason and went and blew itself up...so u c...its not really my fault.
By the way disco machine, aren't you being a bit too sentimental over KDE? Sorry if I hurt your feelings...
P.S: Looks like you are an expert at leet speech. Will you be kind enough to teach me?

February 6th, 2006, 09:55 PM
So tell me, what makes KDE a cheap windows rip-off and what doesn't make Gnome a windows rip-off.

aysiu
February 6th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Can people actually substantiate the idea (with actual examples) of how KDE is similar to Windows and Gnome is not?

I don't buy the whole taskbar on the bottom (instead of split top and bottom for Gnome) being a convincing case, especially since it's so easy to just delete the top bar in Gnome--anyway Mac OS X doesn't have a "window list" like Gnome's or a bottom panel... it has one Dock and Expose. The "window list" in Gnome is far more reminiscent of Windows than it is of anything else.

You could just as well argue Gnome is "Windows-like" because it defaults to a double-click for opening files instead of KDE's default single-click.

Derek Djons
February 7th, 2006, 12:25 AM
Can people actually substantiate the idea (with actual examples) of how KDE is similar to Windows and Gnome is not?

I don't buy the whole taskbar on the bottom (instead of split top and bottom for Gnome) being a convincing case, especially since it's so easy to just delete the top bar in Gnome--anyway Mac OS X doesn't have a "window list" like Gnome's or a bottom panel... it has one Dock and Expose. The "window list" in Gnome is far more reminiscent of Windows than it is of anything else.

You could just as well argue Gnome is "Windows-like" because it defaults to a double-click for opening files instead of KDE's default single-click.

I had by coincidence a chat with my boss about Linux. Suddenly out of nothing he said: "Linux is just like Windows, it looks crap... it just doesn't works." I was really stunned by that. If you take a look to Gnome, XFCE and some other desktops they certainly don't copy -> paste Windows. But from his point of view it's some hobby project Windows alternative. I wasn't sure if I had to remind him that Linux is based on UNIX. :-?

bjweeks
February 7th, 2006, 12:56 AM
KDE does look more like windows but who cares.

aysiu
February 7th, 2006, 01:07 AM
KDE does look more like windows but who cares. Please substantiate with examples. Thanks.

stimpack
February 7th, 2006, 01:12 AM
The bar defaults to the bottom it must be like windows!. Forget the mac os top menus bars you can have, forget the complete abilty to customise to any OS or uniqueness, the clock defaults to the bottom!!!!

/sarcasm off

krusbjorn
February 7th, 2006, 01:21 AM
Please substantiate with examples. Thanks.

It's quite hard to do that, actually. The default theming in KDE just feels more Windows-like than gnome does. I guess it's the overall theme--colours, window borders, menus, default background, mouse theme, widgets, controls etc etc. Default KDE feels more plastic than default gnome, and maybe therefore a little more like XP? Of course, fifteen minutes of customization and that feeling is gone.

That said, I like both KDE and gnome, and use them both regulary, almost fifty-fifty.

Master Shake
February 7th, 2006, 03:27 AM
Personally, I'm in love with XUbuntu... XFCE IMHO strikes the right balance of usability / eye candy / and performance.

super
February 7th, 2006, 04:00 AM
gnome :cool:
hands down. even tho i am currently using kde a bit more to see if i can understand why some people like it so much.

i would take easy themeability over transparency, shadows, etc any day of the week. so for me it's really boils down to...

gtk2 themes vs. qt themes
metacity themes vs. kwin themes

do you see where im going with this? :p

Sirin
February 7th, 2006, 08:32 AM
KDE makes me puke since it is an unsuccessful attempt at copying Windows:mad:

http://kdemyths.urbanlizard.com/myth/38

Look at this. Look at what KDE themselves have to say about this. You know, I am unsatisfied about millions of people criticizing KDE because "It is a ripoff of WIndows". We all know here that GNOME was here because one app wasn't open source in KDE. Now, since you use GNOME, you criticize KDE because by default, their taskbar is at the bottom? What a lame excuse to try to attack the very first DE ever. I like GNOME, and KDE, and Xfce, and all the other DEs and WMs. But just because you don't use it, does not mean that you have to attack it. :evil:

kenweill
February 7th, 2006, 08:57 AM
I like KDE. My friends like KDE. And their reasons are valid. Its much like Windows. I think its about familiarity.

But Im using GNOME.

Not sure which one I should vote. KDE or GNOME.

GNOME. I used it everyday.
KDE. I only used this for new comers. They are much more familiar using KDE than GNOME. They always look for the "Start Menu", located in the lower-left corner of the screen.

I have to vote for GNOME. Im using it everyday.

Ahhhh, im confused. Can't vote for both.

lifeperfecti0n
February 7th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Hi all,
I think the worst thing about KDE is that its performance is not very good. By the way who said the taskbar has to be at the bottom. I have it at the bottom as well and that's definitely not a Windows-specific feature (in my opinion!) I never knew KDE could be completely overhauled...and I don't know how to anyway. But my suggestion is: why don't KDE and Gnome developers join forces to create a unified, flawless, and classy front-end (I am a newbie...perhaps this has already been done?)
Btw I like 1 thing about XP which isn't in either Gnome or KDE...n that is the side panel containing all user tasks such as move, rename, copy, add to music folder, e-mail this file, etc etc. Why not in Linux?

kenweill
February 7th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Its not Windows-specific feature.

But they are used with that setup. They haven't used any OS other than Windows.
Everytime they sat in my computer, if im under GNOME, they always ask, "Wheres the Start Menu?". "What have you done with your Windows?".

The point is, they always look for the start menu in the lower-left corner of the screen.

February 7th, 2006, 09:24 AM
Hi all,
I think the worst thing about KDE is that its performance is not very good.

From my experience on various distros that's simply not true. On the contrary, performance has been getting better with every release for quite some time now. If anything, Gnome has severe performance problems at the moments (though the devs are working on it, which is great).

By the way who said the taskbar has to be at the bottom. I have it at the bottom as well and that's definitely not a Windows-specific feature (in my opinion!)

And most people would agree with you here. However, it was you who claimed it was a windows rip-off and you still didn't substantiate why this should be the case.

I never knew KDE could be completely overhauled...and I don't know how to anyway.

I thought you used it for more than five minutes? And you didn't stumble upon the kde control center while using it? Amazing.

But my suggestion is: why don't KDE and Gnome developers join forces to create a unified, flawless, and classy front-end (I am a newbie...perhaps this has already been done?)

This comes up often, but it's not going to happen. Personally I also think that KDE and Gnome are sufficiently different to merit two desktops. What is happening right now however is Gnome and KDE devs working together to integrate Gnome and KDE apps better in the other desktop. Google for project portland.

Btw I like 1 thing about XP which isn't in either Gnome or KDE...n that is the side panel containing all user tasks such as move, rename, copy, add to music folder, e-mail this file, etc etc. Why not in Linux?
You mean like the sidebar in KDE, or rather konqueror?

Minyaliel
February 7th, 2006, 10:53 AM
I use Kubuntu every day, although I also do have the gnome desktop installed. I'm rather fond of what you can do with KDE when it comes to visual customizing - I'm a rather artsy person and need my pretty desktops - but it's also a lot better when it comes to simplicity and well, it does what I want it to do :P Also, I love KDE programs like amaroK and the fact I don't need to double- click on stuff. I'm a lazy person, I know. But with that touchpad of mine, I'd rather avoid using it more than necessary...

bjweeks
February 7th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Please substantiate with examples. Thanks.

The task bar is the first thing people see, so as a new user to kde I saw that and said hey its windows! Also the windows explorer/ internet explore is more like konqueror. Its many small things but I think kde is more like windows but how is that a bad thing? If people sayI hate kde cause its like windows need to grow up and get over windows being trash. KDE can be made to look like anything you want even more like windows (http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=1499).

bonzodog
February 7th, 2006, 02:41 PM
I vote XFCE here. I was using windowmaker for a long time, but have recently installed xubuntu-desktop, and I have to say it has everything that gnome has, but is much more usable. I particularly am a fan of dynamic menu's (right click on desktop), as I think that increases usability greatly, and allows you to move the desktop about. When i was running gnome , the first thing I did was remove the loweer taskbar and desktop switcher immediately - i do not see the need for that. I like plenty of desktop real-estate (I run at 1280x1024@24bpp), and even in xfce have reduced the panel size at the bottom to small. As I have dapper, we now have the Tango Iconset, and it is sweet.

frodon
February 7th, 2006, 02:55 PM
I vote Gnome because i love it but i like xfce too and that's why i use gnome with xfwm4 WM which is a little bit faster anf offers better transparency support. I love to see the opacity change when i move a window ;).

lifeperfecti0n
February 7th, 2006, 10:07 PM
Hi all,
I HAVE used KDE control center but most of the themes available were gaudy.
And don't tell me that Konqueror is like the Win XP sidebar-coz it isn't.
By the way what is Xubuntu-is it available with free shipping?

manicka
February 7th, 2006, 10:11 PM
By the way what is Xubuntu-is it available with free shipping?

Xubuntu is a xfce based version of Ubuntu. It is not vailable as a specific flavour of Ubuntu as yet ,but can be installed via apt on top of a server install or added to Ubuntu or Kubuntu