PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Map Network Drives & Printers script

MaindotC
September 12th, 2009, 02:09 AM
On my college campus, they only support Windoze. Typically, when users need to locate a printer, they can open a Run command and type:

\\printer

and they get a list of all the printers on campus. Same thing with network drives. Our campus gives us personal storage space that we can access by typing:

\\myfiles

The name of the server is myfiles.csntprod.morrisville.edu so obviously they have some sort of DNS setting that allows us to just type "myfiles". I made a wiki to show other Ubuntu Gnome users how to connect to network drives and printers on http://morrisville-linux.pbwiki.com.

Once I know all the printers and network drives I want a machine to have, how do I do that automatically on another machine? Is there an installation script or can I just transfer a configuration file(s) to the other machine? Thanks!

MaindotC
September 12th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Bump - I don't see what is so harmful about this topic, no one ever answers. Either it's insanely difficult or insanely easy and users feel I'll just find the answer eventually.

MaindotC
September 13th, 2009, 04:34 AM
bump - must be a difficult subject

falconindy
September 13th, 2009, 04:57 AM
Make sure the "smbfs" package is installed and you can use the 'smbmount' to mount network drives from the command line. Something similar to:

sudo smbmount //server/share /localdir -o username=user,password=pass,uid=500,gid=500
Of course, the issue here is that it's based on sudo, which means manual password input... there's gotta be a way to do it in /etc/fstab.

Honestly, I'm not sure how to mount a samba printer from the command line.

falconindy
September 13th, 2009, 05:01 AM
And thanks to Google, here it is:

//server/share /localdir smbfs username=user,password=pass,uid=500,gi d=100,dmask=770,fmask=770 0 0

MaindotC
September 14th, 2009, 02:47 AM
I know how to mount network shares. Please read my first post as you must have missed the question I was asking.

MaindotC
September 21st, 2009, 02:51 PM
Bump it up!