PDA

View Full Version : Syfy planning COOKING SHOWS?! WHAT THE--

CJ Master
September 12th, 2009, 01:42 AM
Source: http://www.tv.com/story/17751.html?ref_story_id=17751&ref_type=1101&ref_name=story&tag=content;main

I mean, first Cartoon network got the "CN Reality" crud, and now "Syfy" is getting COOKING SHOWS?! WTH! I mean, having a WRESTLING show was bad enough, but this is just absolutely horrible.

dragos240
September 12th, 2009, 01:49 AM
Source: http://www.tv.com/story/17751.html?ref_story_id=17751&ref_type=1101&ref_name=story&tag=content;main

I mean, first Cartoon network got the "CN Reality" crud, and now "Syfy" is getting COOKING SHOWS?! WTH! I mean, having a WRESTLING show was bad enough, but this is just absolutely horrible.

Oh why?! I have to agree with cartoon network, it's becoming less cartoon and more network. :(

Ms_Angel_D
September 12th, 2009, 01:50 AM
I really hate this channel any more

dragos240
September 12th, 2009, 02:03 AM
I really hate this channel any more

Does that make any sense?

bodyharvester
September 12th, 2009, 02:08 AM
remember TOONAMI and how it always showed japanese anime? that was so cool...

*dreams*

dragos240
September 12th, 2009, 02:12 AM
remember TOONAMI and how it always showed japanese anime? that was so cool...

*dreams*

Poorly dubbed anime. :D

bodyharvester
September 12th, 2009, 02:18 AM
Poorly dubbed anime. :D

yeah, but it was a million times better then than it ever has been since then:popcorn:

dragos240
September 12th, 2009, 02:19 AM
True.

jrusso2
September 12th, 2009, 02:24 AM
I prefer cooking to wrasslin

Ms_Angel_D
September 12th, 2009, 02:35 AM
Does that make any sense?

I'm not sure what your asking?

bodyharvester
September 12th, 2009, 02:37 AM

i think he meant your grammar, either way i read that sentance it came out with you not liking the channel

Ms_Angel_D
September 12th, 2009, 02:42 AM
i think he meant your grammar, either way i read that sentence it came out with you not liking the channel

Oh, You would be correct I used to love the station when it was good, but it really has gone completely down hill.

dragos240
September 12th, 2009, 02:42 AM

Well. The usual saying is, I really don't like this anymore. But 'I hate this anymore' doesn't sound correct. For a reason too. The saying is infering that you liked the channel, but now you don't. But saying 'I hate this channel anymore' would not work. The correct usage is don't and like. The first meaning what you feel about the channel, and like meaning the feeling you previously felt.

Ms_Angel_D
September 12th, 2009, 02:44 AM
Well. The usual saying is, I really don't like this anymore. But 'I hate this anymore' doesn't sound correct. For a reason too. The saying is infering that you liked the channel, but now you don't. But saying 'I hate this channel anymore' would not work. The correct usage is don't and like. The first meaning what you feel about the channel, and like meaning the feeling you previously felt.

oh I see...lol.

Well either way see the post above your last one for a better explanation.

Woormy
September 12th, 2009, 02:58 AM
But have you tried the barbequed Wookie and mashed Tribbles? Delicious!

SunnyRabbiera
September 12th, 2009, 03:44 AM
I say burn all the networks

JillSwift
September 12th, 2009, 05:02 AM
It looks like specialty programming just doesn't pay the bills.

Perhaps it's time to abandon the "channel and broadcast time" model, and go for a pure on-demand model. It would provide vastly better metrics for advertisers, and more convenient viewing and re-viewing for customers.

chucky chuckaluck
September 12th, 2009, 05:07 AM
i like cooking shows (big fan of the food channel). a cryptozoology grilling show could be fun.

DeadSuperHero
September 12th, 2009, 05:10 AM
Ever since the name change from SciFi to SyFy, I've felt alienated from that channel, just like when Toonami was dropped for "Miguzi" or whatever it was called, my life went downhill. Sure, the old Anime was pretty badly dubbed, but it at least made up for it with fascinating plots (I distinctly remember watching one in which people were cloned in a domed city over and over again with programmed memories, and the entire city was just a big theater production. The depth of such a concept is staggering.)

But when I lost Toonami, a part of me died. I had to settle with watching Code Lyoko instead. Although it was entertaining, the plot was so repetitive that I wanted to get rid of my cable television subscription for good.

And so I did.

gnomeuser
September 12th, 2009, 05:32 AM
I love cooking shows and I could see how they might make something that is different from the "british guy cooking" formula in cooking shows. E.g. Revision 3 used to have a cooking show where 2 complete cooking disasters would attempt following a recipe to much hilarity. Another example is that Discovery used to have a show featuring master chef and owner of The Fat Duck, Hester Blumenthal, (I hope I spelled that right) about cooking and the chemistry of cooking, this was excellent because you got to understand how cooking works and why certain things taste good together and other don't.

I think that if they spend time thinking about the idea they can come up with something uniquely suited to their audience.

I would like to keep an open mind to the idea and see what they come up with.

Exodist
September 12th, 2009, 07:55 AM
I totally hate NBC and FOX.
NBC just a few months ago cancled KINGs as they wanted to show "more" reality shows because they are cheaper to produce.
Also Just a few weeks ago, Terminator: The Sara Conner Chronicles got Xd also do to poor raitings. Same damn thing they did to Firefly a few years back. Their plans are also more "reality" shows..

I am sorry, I have had it with this reality crap. I have enough of "reality" working a factory job and struggling to dodge the repetitive layoffs that is effecting everyone around me. Cant I just sit around and watch something abstract from anything going on around here. Plus why the hell do I want to watch a bunch of rich punk *** people wine all day about having to get off their fat jenny craig ***.

For gods sake give me a few rerun Stargate, Firefly, Farscape or Futurerama episodes to soak my brain in and forget about the **** in this world a few hours each night. "Ignorance is bliss"!

CJ Master
September 12th, 2009, 08:01 AM
I love cooking shows and I could see how they might make something that is different from the "british guy cooking" formula in cooking shows. E.g. Revision 3 used to have a cooking show where 2 complete cooking disasters would attempt following a recipe to much hilarity. Another example is that Discovery used to have a show featuring master chef and owner of The Fat Duck, Hester Blumenthal, (I hope I spelled that right) about cooking and the chemistry of cooking, this was excellent because you got to understand how cooking works and why certain things taste good together and other don't.

I think that if they spend time thinking about the idea they can come up with something uniquely suited to their audience.

I would like to keep an open mind to the idea and see what they come up with.

There's tons of people that like cooking shows, but they should be on the network about cooking, not one about SciFi!

yabbadabbadont
September 12th, 2009, 08:06 AM
... not one about SciFi!

Yeah, but it isn't "SciFi" any more, it is "SyFy". (whatever the heck that stands for... :roll:)

Giant Speck
September 12th, 2009, 08:07 AM
It's bad enough that their original movies suck.
It's bad enough that their original series suck.
It's bad enough that they changed their name to SyFy.

But... a cooking show?

gnomeuser
September 12th, 2009, 09:58 AM
There's tons of people that like cooking shows, but they should be on the network about cooking, not one about SciFi!

And I am saying I believe that they can create a cooking show that incorporates the elements that the audience cares about. They already said that it wouldn't be your average cooking show.

I suspect they might attempt some interesting science of cooking aspects or do future food as it would change due to changes in the world (e.g. rising transport costs would make it hard to rely on speciality items). There are lots of avenues that would let them have a cooking show which is interesting for their core audience and doesn't betray the Sci-fi'ness of the channel.

In the same vein I hope they do a show a bit like "Science in the Movies" that takes a geeks look behind the scenes to not only explain how effects and gadgets are done but demonstrate them. I hope they won't be afraid to let sci-fi break out of it's isolation, there is room for and presence of sci-fi in other aspects of life than reruns of The Outer Limits and TV movies of famous sci-fi books.

Hell you could have a whole hour long weekly show dedicated to show premises of sci-fi that have become real, who thought of them and what their thinking was at the time. Sci-fi in a very real way is today and it would be interesting to see just how much.

If all of that happened I would be far more likely to watch their network, frankly the last time I did it was all reruns and specials on famous sci-fi movies.. it was a bit dull and done without love for the subject if you ask me. I think their current moves are about embracing a love for all things sci-fi and finding ways to communicate that. I think we should be happy.

spupy
November 1st, 2009, 12:59 AM
<futurama>It better be "Elzar's Fine Cuisine"!</futurama>

hellion0
November 1st, 2009, 01:20 AM
(I distinctly remember watching one in which people were cloned in a domed city over and over again with programmed memories, and the entire city was just a big theater production. The depth of such a concept is staggering.)Sounds almost like Big O.

Anyway, I've stopped watching that network despite the fact that it carries wrestling. The fact that a cooking show is on the menu makes me think I bailed just in time. It's getting such that my TV is dark most of the week. There's just nothing on that appeals to me.