PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Outlook Replacement

LoopyWolf
September 12th, 2009, 01:28 AM
I set up my work PC as a dual boot with windows XP and Ubuntu, and most of it works great (worked painlessly to)

One thing that I do need, tho, is something to do the job of Outlook. Obviously, there are many email clients for the mail part, but I need to be able to send and get Meeting requests as one would through outlook and them become part of the calendar. I tried Thunderbird and Evolution, but either they don't do it or they need to be set up better.

Any suggestions?

purgatori
September 12th, 2009, 02:47 AM
Fortunately, I don't (and never have) use(d) Outlook, so I don't really know... would this (http://lists.ximian.com/pipermail/evolution/2002-January/016540.html) be of any help?

philippe_carlo
September 12th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Evolution is quite OK and I think it covers your needs (not entirely sure though).

I used Thunderbird too for a while, which is also nice. But you have to use it in combination with Sunbird (the organizer component of Mozilla). I used it in Windows and meeting requests and agenda attachments were handled just fine.

I'm using KDE Kontact (KMail, Korganizer, ...) right now. But the only thing that is really lacking is the handling of meeting requests there. Even adding ics attachments to the calendar is not available by default. Luckily, some scripting with konsolekalendar (package) solved that issue. Another bad point is the lack of descent html-signature support :-(.

akakingess
September 12th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Your only option at this point may be to try installing Outlook via Wine within Ubuntu, although I do have to say that I do not use Wine myself and know that some apps work fine and others don't. Might be worth a shot though, if you have to have all of the options that come with Outlook.

Helloworld1
September 12th, 2009, 11:26 AM
The best option for you would probably be Evolution, because of its good integration in the ubuntu system. Ather nice features which would probably please you are the contacts, agenda, tasks and notes. It is very similar to outlook in many ways. Above that: it is compatible with microsoft exchange.
What did you miss when you were using Evolution? Setup and importing old data is quite easy.

theZoid
September 13th, 2009, 01:53 AM
Evolution is what I use, and I'm an Outlook user. Outport will convert your Outlook .pst file to Evolution format so it's easy to keep them sync'd. I've too moved all my work over to linux, and feel that my data is more secure and easier to track and back up. I do use a virtualbox xp machine for a couple of vertical market programs, but works well.

EDIT: for Outport information, click the link in my sig....good luck

hyperAura
September 13th, 2009, 02:03 AM
Try thunderbird or evolution..:) both worked great for me!!

falconindy
September 13th, 2009, 04:33 AM
Thunderbird with the lightning extension gives you mail and a calendar in one.

tacantara
September 13th, 2009, 04:38 AM
I set up my work PC as a dual boot with windows XP and Ubuntu, and most of it works great (worked painlessly to)

One thing that I do need, tho, is something to do the job of Outlook. Obviously, there are many email clients for the mail part, but I need to be able to send and get Meeting requests as one would through outlook and them become part of the calendar. I tried Thunderbird and Evolution, but either they don't do it or they need to be set up better.

Any suggestions?

I've been using Evolution as long as I've been using Ubuntu. I've never tried to set up meetings in the calendar feature, but I discovered that if I right click on a calendar entry, it'll give me an option to set up a meeting based on the calendar entry. It appears then that this particular functionality of Outlook is present, to a certain extent. Hopefully this will help you achieve your goal.