PDA

View Full Version : new software project idea

donnellymp
September 12th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Hi. I have an idea for a new software tool that I'd like to commercialize. I'm not a programmer, and I have no money, but I'd like to build something world class working with some developers in the Ubuntu community. How would I get started working with the Ubuntu community on this?

Sporkman
September 12th, 2009, 01:45 AM
Hi. I have an idea for a new software tool that I'd like to commercialize. I'm not a programmer, and I have no money, but I'd like to build something world class working with some developers in the Ubuntu community. How would I get started working with the Ubuntu community on this?

Nobody here would be interested unless you intend to give away the source code to it. :)

juancarlospaco
September 12th, 2009, 01:49 AM
Release it under GPL and maybe we buy it...
:)

mehaga
September 12th, 2009, 03:00 AM
The only way is to give away enough to get someone interested, but not enough to allow them to do it without you. Tricky, isn't it? :)

Bölvağur
September 12th, 2009, 03:05 AM
In my experience, software designers normally have higher imagination about making new things (software) than others (on average). So we aren't really lacking ideas, so your's must be much better than the programmers that actually will sign up for it. Which means you'll have to tell as many people as you can about the idea.

Sporkman
September 12th, 2009, 03:06 AM
...or, you can offer to pay them for their work.

keiichidono
September 13th, 2009, 01:45 AM
I won't work for free unless the software is open source.