PDA

View Full Version : dynamic c++ array

chris200x9
September 12th, 2009, 12:39 AM
I've written a function that works but I don't understand why one part works. I would appreciate anyone telling me how this works. Thanx :P

void decimaltobinary()
{
int decimal;
int* a = NULL;
int n =0;
cin >> decimal;
int num = 0;
a = new int[num];
for (int i=0; i<num; i++) {
a[i] = 0;
}
while (decimal > 0)
{
a[n] =decimal % 2;
decimal /= 2;
if (decimal != 0)
{
n++;
}
}
while (n > 0 || n == 0)
{
cout << a[n];
n--;
}
delete [] a;
}

I just question how it dynamically allocates the array when the size is zero?

Habbit
September 12th, 2009, 01:05 AM
The new[] operator, like malloc(), is guaranteed to return _different_ pointers when asked for a block of memory of size 0. If your code works it's because the region it's stepping into with its a references (which it does not own, because a is a pointer to an array of zero ints) happens to not be in use by any other part of the code.

Put bluntly, if you run that code tomorrow, your computer might catch on fire, or trigger a nuclear launch sequence. Num should be the prospective size of the array, most likely ceil(log2(decimal)) - if I managed to remember my math right.

However, your version is highly inefficient, mostly because your "decimal" number is already in a binary form: you can output it with this [I]completely untested code
void decimaltobinary()
{
int decimal;
int cur_bit;

cin >> decimal;

// Skip leading zeroes - note the empty loop
for (cur_bit = sizeof(int) * 8 - 1; (decimal & (1u << cur_bit)) == 0 && cur_bit >= 0; --cur_bit)
;

// Now print the actual number
for ( ; cur_bit >= 0; --cur_bit)
if ((decimal & (1u << cur_bit)) != 0)
cout << '1';
else cout << '0';
cout << endl;
}

Of course, the (decimal & (1 << cur_bit)) tests the "cur_bit"th bit in the (binary expression of) decimal.

dwhitney67
September 12th, 2009, 01:24 AM
Agreed... the code in the OP is highly subject to failure. Aside from the crude/blatant attempt to allocate an array of zero-size, the rest of the code appears as if purposely written to fail as well.

Here's my stab at converting a decimal value to binary:

#include <string>
#include <iostream>

template <typename T>
T getInput(const std::string& prompt)
{
T input;

while (true)
{
std::cout << prompt;
std::cin >> input;

if (std::cin.good()) break;

std::cout << "Bad input; try again...\n" << std::endl;
std::cin.clear();
std::cin.ignore(1024, '\n');
}

return input;
}

std::string decimalToBinary(unsigned int value)
{
std::string binary;

while (value > 0)
{
binary += (value % 2) ? "1" : "0";
value /= 2;
}

return std::string(binary.rbegin(), binary.rend());
}

int main()
{
unsigned int num = getInput<unsigned int>("Enter a number: ");
std::string binary = decimalToBinary(num);

std::cout << "binary representation: %" << binary << std::endl;
}

MadCow108
September 12th, 2009, 01:34 AM
ha my code is shorter :P

bitset<sizeof(long)*8> bit(494353534L);
std::cout << bit << std::endl;

@topic how come that the compiler doesn't warn about that?
I see no possible use.

chris200x9
September 12th, 2009, 02:13 AM
The new[] operator, like malloc(), is guaranteed to return _different_ pointers when asked for a block of memory of size 0. If your code works it's because the region it's stepping into with its a[i] references (which it does not own, because a is a pointer to an array of zero ints) happens to not be in use by any other part of the code.

Put bluntly, if you run that code tomorrow, your computer might catch on fire, or trigger a nuclear launch sequence. Num should be the prospective size of the array, most likely ceil(log2(decimal)) - if I managed to remember my math right.

However, your version is highly inefficient, mostly because your "decimal" number is already in a binary form:

i see thanx!

Lux Perpetua
September 14th, 2009, 01:05 AM
@topic how come that the compiler doesn't warn about that?
I see no possible use.Of course, you as a human can read the code and immediately see that it doesn't make sense, but syntactically, it isn't wrong or even suspicious. To figure out that this particular code is wrong, you basically have to simulate executing it (mentally), which is beyond what a compiler can be expected to do.