PDA

View Full Version : Easiest video editor?

HappyFeet
September 11th, 2009, 11:51 PM
I have never done video editing before, but would like to try it. Any recommendations?

spongypants23
September 11th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Kdenlive

It's similar to Windows Movie Maker, simple and easy to use.

dragos240
September 11th, 2009, 11:59 PM
Kdenlive

It's similar to Windows Movie Maker, simple and easy to use.

And it crashes 24/7 :p

doorknob60
September 12th, 2009, 12:05 AM
Pitivi, also similar to WMM, but doesn't crash. THe downside is it lacks some features that Kdenlive has, like transitions and titles, but it's still a solid editor, I've succfully created a few videos with it just fine. Do what you can to try to get the latest version though (look on their site probably).

dragos240
September 12th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Pitivi, also similar to WMM, but doesn't crash. THe downside is it lacks some features that Kdenlive has, like transitions and titles, but it's still a solid editor, I've succfully created a few videos with it just fine. Do what you can to try to get the latest version though (look on their site probably).

I wholeheartedly agree. PiTIVi is looking good!

doorknob60
September 12th, 2009, 12:15 AM
By the way, this PPA has the latest version of Pitivi in it: https://launchpad.net/~gstreamer-developers/+archive/ppa

spongypants23
September 12th, 2009, 12:16 AM
And it crashes 24/7 :p

Really? Weird! It hasn't crashed once when I use it..

orlox
September 12th, 2009, 01:06 AM
openshot looks very promising (and its stable). Though, there is no ppa fro this one (yet)

SunnyRabbiera
September 12th, 2009, 01:12 AM
Most of the linux video editors are still kinbda bleh, but there is much promise with Pitivi, Openshot and Kdenlive.

qamelian
September 12th, 2009, 01:16 AM
openshot looks very promising (and its stable). Though, there is no ppa fro this one (yet)
I'll second Openshot. I've just started playing about with it and it imports video clips amazingly fast compared to the other Linux video editors I use. It still need a lot of features, but the basics are there and there is continuing progress.
http://www.openshotvideo.com/

hyperAura
September 12th, 2009, 01:22 AM
I would recommend Pitivi..:) haven't tried the other two mentioned above though..

HappyFeet
September 12th, 2009, 03:37 AM
Thanks for the recommendations. I'll check them out.

doorknob60
September 12th, 2009, 03:44 AM

Oh man I wanna try that, but the Arch PKGBUILD for it is currently broken, so I gotta wait a few days. Can't be bothered to figure it out myself though, even though I could. Meh :P Hope I don't forget about it. Also, why have I never heard of this before?