PDA

View Full Version : Application menu integrated in the window border?

pelle.k
September 11th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Does anyone know of any effort to integrate the application menu in metacitys window border? I've been trying gnome-globalmenu out for the past days, and it's quite nice (and looks good too). The window border of metacity (or any window manager really) is also rather empty, so wouldn't it be a good place as any to put the application menu? That would free up even more space than putting the menubar on the gnome-panel (like gnome-globalmenu does).

And before anyone that is totally appalled by this idea start vomiting all over this thread, i'm not suggesting this is an ideal solution, nor do i suggest that would replace the current behaviour - but it could be nice to have as an option perhaps?

hessiess
September 11th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Does anyone know of any effort to integrate the application menu in metacitys window border? I've been trying gnome-globalmenu out for the past days, and it's quite nice (and looks good too). The window border of metacity (or any window manager really) is also rather empty, so wouldn't it be a good place as any to put the application menu? That would free up even more space than putting the menubar on the gnome-panel (like gnome-globalmenu does).

And before anyone that is totally appalled by this idea start vomiting all over this thread, i'm not suggesting this is an ideal solution, nor do i suggest that would replace the current behaviour - but it could be nice to have as an option perhaps?

I doubt it would be possible, or at least be very difficult to implement as the window borders are added by the window manager, a totally different application.

Personally I find that simply getting rid of the borders and using keyboard short cuts instead is a better option.