PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Vista won't boot post-Ubuntu install

Whisp3r
September 11th, 2009, 08:39 PM
I got this new laptop with Vista (ick). Anyways, I went ahead and installed Ubuntu, using the Ubuntu partitioner. Anyways, it installed fine, I set up Ubuntu the way I liked it, rebooted to Vista, set it up the way I like it, and then... wham. Can't reboot to Vista. When I get to the GRUB screen, I select Vista, it loads for about half a second, and then I get a blue screen of death. Unfortunately, the blue screen lasts about .5 seconds so I can't read it.

When I do a system repair on Vista with the driver CD, I get the following error:

Unspecified changes to system configuration might have caused the problem.
Repair action: System files integrity check and repair
Result: Failed. Error code=0x4005.

How do I fix Vista to get it to boot up again? :(

creiss
September 11th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Sounds like a corrupted Windows partition to me, or at least a damaged file system. Try gparted, it has some minor repair capabilities (google). Good luck.

But besides that, nothing short or a reinstallation will help. :/

-Chris.

Yvan300
September 11th, 2009, 08:50 PM
+1, blue screens of death are a sign that it is time to reinstall. But hey you should be able to copy over all your media by mounting the window's partition in ubuntu.

ronparent
September 11th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Just a quick note. Others have also had bad outcomes trying to use gpated to repartition a vista partition. It has been generally recommended that vista be repatitioned only from within vista using the built in or a compatible partitioner (NOT Partition Magic).

Whisp3r
September 12th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Thanks all. I'll reinstall everything and let you know how it turns out.