PDA

View Full Version : Other OS Talk Mega-Thread

HappinessNow
September 11th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Other OS (Other then *buntu) Talk Mega-Thread

I thought it would be great to have a mega-thread for people to come to, to talk about Other OS's. This would be most helpful for people to come and seek help or general discussion about any Other OS. To find a post about your Other OS of interest you could use the "Search This Thread" function, and if a post hasn't been made about your OS of interest you can simply make one.

The Other OS I am mostly using is MacPup Opera, I also like PC-BSD.

MacPup Opera - ease of use for beginning users, speed and reliability, great user interface.

PC-BSD - Same as above in a BSD base.

Two other OS's I use frequently are:

Windows XP - I actually like XP and find it very reliable

Apple's OS X - Another great OS that I use frequently

Ubuntu is great and will always be my base OS but I also like the Other OS's above, if anybody wants to discuss any of them please do or make a post about your Other OS.

subdivision
September 11th, 2009, 07:06 PM
I use XP every day at work. It works fine aside from IE (I'm stuck with IE6) freezing up once in a great while.

HappinessNow
September 11th, 2009, 07:08 PM
I use XP every day at work. It works fine aside from IE (I'm stuck with IE6) freezing up once in a great while.On my XP computers I use everything but IE, I mostly use Firefox followed by Opera and Google Chrome.

I am interested to know why you are stuck with IE6?, I have both my XP computers updated to IE8.

Whiffle
September 11th, 2009, 07:09 PM
WinXP - Not bad. Cygwin and Virtuawin (multiple desktops! yay!), make it much more comfortable. Its reliable enough.

Vista - I only use it when I'm fixing my dad's computer for him. Thats all I have to say about that. *twitch*

HappinessNow
September 11th, 2009, 07:11 PM
*twitch*

:lolflag:

RiceMonster
September 11th, 2009, 07:11 PM
I use XP every day at work. It works fine aside from IE (I'm stuck with IE6) freezing up once in a great while.

Same here.

Over the summer I used z/OS at work every day too. At my new job, I may be using it, but not nearly as much.

subdivision
September 11th, 2009, 07:12 PM
On my XP computers I use everything but IE, I mostly use Firefox followed by Opera and Google Chrome.

I am interested to know why you are stuck with IE6?, I have both my XP computers updated to IE8.

The corporate IT department refuses to upgrade it. I've never gotten a clear answer as to why that is.

I would use FF but it doesn't play well with some of the internal corporate websites that I have to use every day.

CJ Master
September 11th, 2009, 07:14 PM
I'm currently using Windows 7, and I'm loving it.

Arch is also cool. *shotshotshot*

subdivision
September 11th, 2009, 07:19 PM
arch is also cool. *shotshotshot*

:p

HappinessNow
September 11th, 2009, 07:21 PM
I would use FF but it doesn't play well with some of the internal corporate websites that I have to use every day.

Even with IETab installed?

reference: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419

subdivision
September 11th, 2009, 07:22 PM

Honestly, I haven't tried it. Didn't even cross my mind. I'll give it a shot though, thanks!

andrek
September 11th, 2009, 07:23 PM
I'm currently using Windows 7, and I'm loving it.

+1

I've got the latest alpha of Ubuntu karmic on my hard drive, too. (and updating it every day)

subdivision
September 11th, 2009, 07:32 PM

Works like a charm, thank you. If you lived anywhere near me I would buy you a beer. ^_^

JillSwift
September 11th, 2009, 07:33 PM
There are no other operating systems... there is only...

Zuul!

subdivision
September 11th, 2009, 07:36 PM

Zuul!

Listen... do you smell that?

mharrison
September 11th, 2009, 07:38 PM

Zuul!

+1 :lolflag:

HappinessNow
September 11th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Works like a charm, thank you. If you lived anywhere near me I would buy you a beer. ^_^
Good Welcome! glad I could help! :P

This Other OS Talk Mega-Thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1263868) works! at least I was able to help you out. :D

earthpigg
September 11th, 2009, 08:38 PM
i vote we turn this into a discussion about how great arch is and every other distro sucks.

on a serious note: i have arch installed on this computer and have been using it exclusively for the last several days. have all the fancy aliases set up, so i can type 'yu' to upgrade everything - including proprietary software. yay me. its installed, which was a pain, so ill leave it for now... but i don't see any incentive to install it on future computers at this point instead of an ubuntu command line install or masonux (i know it inside and out obviously, so its pretty much the same as a CLI install for me).

time will tell - its great being up to date i suppose, but let's see how many regressions bite me in the butt and dump me at the command line until i look up how to roll back a package and do so.

at best, here is what i see: leave arch on this computer because its already freaking here and it did teach me a lot, and continue to use Ubuntu or ubuntu-based systems like the one in my sig in all other cases.

considering how much control i was asked to take over the install process of arch, i am a bit surprised it did not give me the option to encrypt home during the install process - something both the Ubuntu alternate installer and an ubuntu command line install does.

also: does anyone really put /boot, /etc, /var and the rest in their own partitions???

Whiffle
September 11th, 2009, 08:45 PM
i vote we turn this into a discussion about how great arch is and every other distro sucks.

on a serious note: i have arch installed on this computer and have been using it exclusively for the last several days. have all the fancy aliases set up, so i can type 'yu' to upgrade everything - including proprietary software. yay me. its installed, which was a pain, so ill leave it for now... but i don't see any incentive to install it on future computers at this point instead of an ubuntu command line install or masonux (i know it inside and out obviously, so its pretty much the same as a CLI install for me).

time will tell - its great being up to date i suppose, but let's see how many regressions bite me in the butt and dump me at the command line until i look up how to roll back a package and do so.

at best, here is what i see: leave arch on this computer because its already freaking here and it did teach me a lot, and continue to use Ubuntu or ubuntu-based systems like the one in my sig in all other cases.

Arch is nice. I really like the simplicity of setup (pretty much everything is in rc.conf, and is a breeze to edit.) I ran it exclusively for well over a year.

What got me off of it though is the occasional "I just upgraded, and now Package X doesn't work, and I need my computer _now_" And these days, I really need my computer to just work, reliably, every time. I don't want to upgrade some innocuous packages, and suddenly my taskbar doesn't load, or the icons disappear. Not fun at all.

Now i'm on slackware, on my desktop, and it doesn't do all that fancy dep checking, auto upgrading whizzbang stuff, so I'm not tempted to upgrade packages every time I log in, and only upgrade them when I have time to screw with it :D

Greg
September 11th, 2009, 08:46 PM
If all you do is plop LXDE on it, chances are you wont see a huge benefit. The ports like ABS system, and support for a lot of the more obscure WMs is what's really great.

Anyway, I need to try and get a Crux system and a BSD system up one of these days...

Twitch6000
September 11th, 2009, 09:06 PM
I am currently using Windows 7 And OpenSuse 11.1 :).

I like OpenSuse the best mainly due to its user friendliness.(yes that means easier then windows to me lol)

HappinessNow
September 11th, 2009, 09:22 PM
If all you do is plop LXDE on it, chances are you wont see a huge benefit. The ports like ABS system, and support for a lot of the more obscure WMs is what's really great.

Anyway, I need to try and get a Crux system and a BSD system up one of these days...

I actually like BSD better then Linux, I'm not sure why? maybe it's just because Linux has become so popular BSD is the new underdog. :P

Inevitably I use Linux more then BSD especially with MacPup Opera out but when I do use BSD I use PC-BSD. Why PC-BSD? perhaps because I am a bit Lazy and just want things to work?

dsavi
September 12th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Hey guys, I'm so original. I use this cool distro called Ubuntu. You ever heard of it?

Didn't think so.

Jim!
September 12th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Hey guys, I'm so original. I use this cool distro called Ubuntu. You ever heard of it?

Didn't think so.
That IS pretty darn original. Tell me more about this "Ubuntu" you speak of.

Since this is "Other OS talk" I guess it's safe to say I'm currently using WindowsXP and only WindowsXP. Will be installing openSUSE/Arch/Mint as soon as I can be bothered to download them. And maybe I'll try SLAX too.

schauerlich
September 12th, 2009, 11:28 AM

It will be, once this thread gets long enough. It's like the godwin of alternative OS discussions on this forum.

cmay
September 12th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Open solaris + BSD + crunchbang on Desktops and ubuntu on the laptop.
And come to think of it I spend more time on the Other Os talk now than I do here at the moment.

pwnst*r
September 12th, 2009, 02:12 PM

Target?

pwnst*r
September 12th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Win7, Vista, Ubuntu on my desktop
Vista, Crunchbang on my laptop
Vista, Crunchbang on my tablet

and apple's OS on the iPhone @_x

pwnst*r
September 12th, 2009, 02:19 PM

like he/she stated, corporate won't change this right now. what i do know (at least for my company) is that there is are applications at the store level that will break. we are skipping using Vista and heading straight for 7 by the 4th quarter 2010/1st quarter 2011 global deployment.

dumblebee100
September 12th, 2009, 02:45 PM
just now dealt with all the wordly nonsense software and hardware bugs regarding Apple

I wanted to jailbreak iphone but none of the software works ...at first redsnow worked fine ...then itunes gives problems then redsnow gives problems .and itunes dont even detect iphone ...

all those jailbreaking unlocking modding ..itunes ..firmwares ..all those things makes me sick .of Apple ....
I dont want a Apple item even in my dream

I lost my complete day meddling with the iphone and apple software itunes ...lots of bugs ...in it

some days back I thought of buying a mac book and then I wished I could install osx ubuntu and windows all at a time but now I dont want Apple ..

I will just stick to intel hardware and custom and free softwares like ubuntu ....I want to use my computer in my own way ..and not in Apple way ....I know things about computers and I dont want Apple to teach me things

snowpine
September 12th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Feeling rather proud of myself today... my Windows is now fully virtualized! I bought a new hard drive and took advantage of the opportunity to graduate from dual boot Windows XP/Arch to single boot Arch with XP in Virtualbox. Yay!

dumblebee100
September 12th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Feeling rather proud of myself today... my Windows is now fully virtualized! I bought a new hard drive and took advantage of the opportunity to graduate from dual boot Windows XP/Arch to single boot Arch with XP in Virtualbox. Yay!

that was quite a achievement ...I should also try it ..

I hope the ubuntu or other distros gives much support for android phones ..since because I decided to buy android phones ..and Im hoping for strong integration with my system ...

I just dont want to login into windows just for the sake or some video chatting ..or bluetooth headset or iphone modding ..or my sonyericsson modding ...I hope if half of the functionality is ported then I swear that I never login into windows ..

MasterNetra
September 12th, 2009, 04:49 PM
I'm using Windows 7 both with this laptop and a desktop with 768mb of ram. Surprisingly Windows toned itself down at install to the desktop and idle around 295MB of ram (minus third party utilities.) Compare to its normal 500MB+ on a PC with 1GB or greater, which I think Aero is to blame for that. Though I think Aero disables by itself for some heavy games, its does for Oblivion at least.

HappinessNow
September 12th, 2009, 06:29 PM
I am interested to know why you are stuck with IE6?, I have both my XP computers updated to IE8.like he/she stated, corporate won't change this right now.

Already solved/resolved, review interaction:

The corporate IT department refuses to upgrade it. I've never gotten a clear answer as to why that is.

Honestly, I haven't tried it. Didn't even cross my mind. I'll give it a shot though, thanks!

Good Welcome! glad I could help! :P

This Other OS Talk Mega-Thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1263868) works! at least I was able to help you out. :D

Mateo
September 12th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Posting this from Haiku.

subdivision
September 12th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Posting this from Haiku.

Seriously, I think that's awesome.

pwnst*r
September 12th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Already solved/resolved, review interaction:

huh? my statement holds true. there was nothing to resolve in the first place.

praveesh
September 12th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Open solaris is the fastest os. It is the one that can give the maximum out of a given hardware. In the server side, the performance improvement over the linux is about 50%. It comes pre installed with Gnome. We can install kde if wanted . Since it is posix complient, we will be able to enjoy the softwares we are enjoying in linux. More over, they also ship a free cd to our house.

subdivision
September 12th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Open solaris is the fastest os. It is the one that can give the maximum out of a given hardware. In the server side, the performance improvement over the linux is about 50%. It comes pre installed with Gnome. We can install kde if wanted . Since it is posix complient, we will be able to enjoy the softwares we are enjoying in linux. More over, they also ship a free cd to our house.

Damnit, I'll bite. Got any links to support that glowing endorsement?

PhoHammer
September 12th, 2009, 08:26 PM
So is anyone looking forward to Chrome OS? I am.
They say that it will be "open sourced" by the end of this year.
I wonder if this means the brave among us can install it (kind
of like installing chromium/chrome developer channel in Linux) before the
slated mid-2010 release date?

HappinessNow
September 13th, 2009, 12:44 AM
Posting this from Haiku.
I haven't used Haiku in over a year how is it coming along?

huh? my statement holds true. there was nothing to resolve in the first place.Right, but at least he can use Firefox with IETab now. ;)

kk0sse54
September 13th, 2009, 01:21 AM

I've tried OpenSolaris a few times and indeed it's quite nice. Unfortunately I won't fully consider it for my desktop due to it's lack of decent hardware support and the very limiting repos.

ChrT
September 13th, 2009, 01:28 AM

performance

gnome

You better be trolling...

cmay
September 13th, 2009, 01:41 AM
Open solaris is not the lightest environment but it is stable and nice.
Hoewever it is a night mare to find the repos for mulitmedia playback and sound drivers
if you dont know exactly where to look . I found couple here.
For extra repos
http://www.sunfreepacks.com/
and
http://www.opencsw.org/packages
for OSS drivers
http://www.4front-tech.com/download.cgi

I amy add that I been using open soalris since the 200.05 release and I have 4 gigabyte ram for it now.
before that I used to have only 1 gigabyte. I think its wonderfull fun and A great system but as I found it
for a usable everyday OS I would rather use freebsd or prefer just linux in some variant.:)

pwnst*r
September 13th, 2009, 02:02 AM
just now dealt with all the wordly nonsense software and hardware bugs regarding Apple

I wanted to jailbreak iphone but none of the software works ...at first redsnow worked fine ...then itunes gives problems then redsnow gives problems .and itunes dont even detect iphone ...

all those jailbreaking unlocking modding ..itunes ..firmwares ..all those things makes me sick .of Apple ....
I dont want a Apple item even in my dream

I lost my complete day meddling with the iphone and apple software itunes ...lots of bugs ...in it

some days back I thought of buying a mac book and then I wished I could install osx ubuntu and windows all at a time but now I dont want Apple ..

I will just stick to intel hardware and custom and free softwares like ubuntu ....I want to use my computer in my own way ..and not in Apple way ....I know things about computers and I dont want Apple to teach me things

i've been jailbreaking for over a year and have yet to see the problems you're seeing.

HappinessNow
September 13th, 2009, 09:22 AM
I've tried OpenSolaris a few times and indeed it's quite nice. Unfortunately I won't fully consider it for my desktop due to it's lack of decent hardware support and the very limiting repos.

I believe there is an OpenSolaris/Ubuntu hybrid out there?

Exodist
September 13th, 2009, 10:26 AM
I am running my modified version of Jaunty on my PC and straight up Jaunty PPC on my eMac.

cmay
September 13th, 2009, 11:53 AM
I believe there is an OpenSolaris/Ubuntu hybrid out there?
Yes there is . Its nexenta I think it is. But I downloaded it once and never got it to install. from what I hear around the net Its really bad hardware support but those few that manage to install it likes it.

frenchn00b
September 13th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Free Windows CLONE XP,

http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html

did you know this one?

cmay
September 13th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Free Windows CLONE XP,

http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html

did you know this one?
Yes I had two installs of it on hardware. the live cd wont work. I dont like virtual box that much . I found it to unstable but i guessit could be actually worth something the minute that someone decides to improve upon it and make a reactOS distribiton that comes preloaded on notebooks.

Rationale for saying this is that my brohter had it in virtual box on his acer inspire and it was very stable and worked great.

all it needs is more software and becoming mature . off course by now its already in the danger zone for being too late as the xp platform is nearly becoming obsolete. But I still use freedos sometimes. and minix also. they are sort of old news too :)