PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Customization and general problems/questions

Zlash
September 11th, 2009, 05:18 PM
4-5 days of ubuntu and now im just.. srsly. i need some help.

Any file i download from Gnome-look.Org srsly wont work. Screenlets cant be read, any theme doesnt install, only themes ive gotten to work are 2 which does only change the upper bar of my interface frames.

Im getting abit fed up with this.

Currently this is what im trying to customize:

-Look and feel of the upper action bar

-add a "windows 7" kinda bar at bottom (middle), if you look at screens, "big" icons are next to the start menu which are shortcuts (internet, WMP, etc), altho the one i want is not for shortcuts, it should just be squares of the current frames i have (which means just the same frame at buttom as usual with large frames, no text only icon)

-Look and Feel of Cairo-Dock. I dont want to imitate the OS x Bar, i want a new feel, and i want it to be configurated as a sidebar with the stack function, plans is to use it as my media stack viewer for downloaded tvseries.

-New Screenlets. Id like to make them only viewable on frame2 (i have a 4square view, not the cube, just a square with 4 squares in it, screenlet being on second frame)

-Music controller for SongBird as a widget or similar.

Any other customizating, adds or such, plz do tell,

again ive tried reading forums about how to.
i have read:
http://linuxowns.wordpress.com/2008/06/16/guide-to-customizing-ubuntus-look-and-feel/
+ additional google searches and threads on the forum. i may have missread some or even overlook those importent once, but i havnt had any luck at all.

does any1 have any sparetime aveable to help me through the customization? :o

Regards

//Z

Zlash
September 12th, 2009, 11:11 AM
srsly none? :/
no one knows how to customize ubuntu ? or none cares?

lzboy4jake
September 20th, 2009, 01:57 AM
No advice for you. Just support. I'm in the exact same boat and it's incredibly frustrating. The Ubuntu pocket guide I downloaded as pdf says all I need to do is drag the downloaded file into the appearances dialogue box and it will be there. Ha. That didn't work. So like I said, you're not alone. http://ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/confused.gif

fabounet
September 20th, 2009, 03:37 AM
for Cairo-Dock just be sure you have the latest version (2.x), and try one of the many themes available, you'll certainly find your happiness.

MACEYEE
September 20th, 2009, 07:53 PM
a