PDA

View Full Version : Maybe its time we started to ACT

SunnyRabbiera
September 11th, 2009, 04:17 PM
With the recent BS by Microsoft with its Best Buy plan I think its time we fought back.
I feel we as linux users have been too passive, its time to act.
I say we protest outside the Best Buys, spread the truth about Microsofts lies and then work our way up to protesting outside of Redmond too.
I think its time we took action instead of just talking about it, we as the linux community should stand up for ourselves and linux.
I no longer want to sit around doing nothing, its time to make a stand people.
This is war people, its time we treated it like one.
But not with physical violence, public protests and us uniting as one will help head off Microsofts lies at the pass.

Viva
September 11th, 2009, 04:20 PM
FSF already do that, it is best to align with them.

running_rabbit07
September 11th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Ever noticed the people that picket the Walmart Grocery stores. They do that at all of those stores here. People drive right by them and call them idiots. (No, I am not calling you one.)

Why not where Ubuntu apparel such as the shirts and beanies so that people say, "Hey, What is the deal with that?"

Most Best Buys are in shopping centers that will have you removed from the property and give you trespass warnings. Then you will not be able to shop at any of the stores there.

SunnyRabbiera
September 11th, 2009, 04:26 PM

Yes but they just do online stuff, we need to do it offline as well as online.

Ever noticed the people that picket the Walmart Grocery stores. They do that at all of those stores here. People drive right by them and call them idiots. (No, I am not calling you one.)

Why not where Ubuntu apparel such as the shirts and beanies so that people say, "Hey, What is the deal with that?"

Most Best Buys are in shopping centers that will have you removed from the property and give you trespass warnings. Then you will not be able to shop at any of the stores there.

We can get permits
We just need to do SOMETHING, outside of online stuff.

RabbitWho
September 11th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Aw man that's so obnoxious. I don't want to harass people.

RiceMonster
September 11th, 2009, 04:28 PM
It's an operating system, not a religion.

Oh, and haven't you ever heard "two wrongs don't make a right" before?

Whiffle
September 11th, 2009, 04:31 PM
And watch how quickly everybody thinks we're nuts. All protests do is make people point and laugh.

Viva
Yes but they just do online stuff, we need to do it offline as well as online.

Nah, they do a lot of offline campaigns too. And rms runs around the world educating governments about Free Software. It is better to support them because they have a lot more influence than we do.

koshatnik
With the recent BS by Microsoft with its Best Buy plan I think its time we fought back.
I say we protest outside the Best Buys, spread the truth about Microsofts lies and then work our way up to protesting outside of Redmond too.
I think its time we took action instead of just talking about it, we as the linux community should stand up for ourselves and linux.
But not with physical violence, public protests and us uniting as one will help head off Microsofts lies at the pass.

I think you're taking this too personally. It's just an OS man. Its not like its important. If you want to protest about something, at least do it over something worthwile, like illegal wars, illegal trade deals, etc. Theres a ton of political crap going on in the world to get annoyed about.

Tristam Green

You can't be serious.

This is not war. This is business.

Congratulations on perpetuating the problem, bucko.

SunnyRabbiera
September 11th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Aw man that's so obnoxious. I don't want to harass people.

Its not harassment, it will be education.

But we must not just sit around on our asses, Microsoft fired first its time we fired back.
I am tired of Microsofts BS, we need to stand up already!

aaaantoine
September 11th, 2009, 04:33 PM

But, that would require standing outside. In the sun!

In all seriousness, I like running_rabbit07's idea better. There are more important things to protest about.

Tristam Green
September 11th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Its not harassment, it will be education.

If you're standing in front of the doorway of a store, hindering in any form the path to that store, you are harassing the customers of that store.

But we must not just sit around on our asses, Microsoft fired first its time we fired back.

Nobody fired anything. The sooner you realize that, the better off you'll be.

RiceMonster
September 11th, 2009, 04:36 PM

Why? Did Microsoft install Windows over Linux on your computer or something? Does their marketing stop you from using Linux? Does it ruin your Linux experience? If you answered "yes" to the last question, that's pretty sad.

Again, it's an operating system, not a religion

-grubby
September 11th, 2009, 04:37 PM

Also: it's not a war.

EDIT: Tristam beat me to it.

SunnyRabbiera
September 11th, 2009, 04:41 PM
And watch how quickly everybody thinks we're nuts. All protests do is make people point and laugh.

Not if we do it right, not with anger but with peaceful things like passing out pamphlets and stuff.

Nah, they do a lot of offline campaigns too. And rms runs around the world educating governments about Free Software. It is better to support them because they have a lot more influence than we do.

Yes but I am a firm believer of one can change things if one is willing to.

I think you're taking this too personally. It's just an OS man. Its not like its important. If you want to protest about something, at least do it over something worthwile, like illegal wars, illegal trade deals, etc. Theres a ton of political crap going on in the world to get annoyed about.

Yes but why go silent, I think we need to make people aware Microsoft is spreading lies and using what power they have to do so,
We need to do something, even if its just using small pieces of paper we can help educate people that MS is a bunch of liars and crooks.

You can't be serious.

This is not war. This is business.

Congratulations on perpetuating the problem, bucko.

With Microsofts IP claims and now this I think we are in a war of some kind.
Why lay back and do nothing?

Look if you guys just want to sit around doing nothing be my guest.
Personally I am more willing to be the wolf then the sheep.

subdivision
September 11th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Good luck with that.

RiceMonster
September 11th, 2009, 04:43 PM

Ok. I'll continue to be unaffected by this while you keep pretending it affects you.

Tristam Green
September 11th, 2009, 04:43 PM

FYI: Wolf Hunting licenses are available in the Northwest US now. Coincidence? I think not.

SunnyRabbiera
September 11th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Good luck with that.

Look personally I just want to stand up for something I believe in, look I want to stand up for something that I feel is right.
We cant afford to just wait around and hope things change.
I am thinking of becoming a linux activist, now more then ever.
Look someones got to do it, I am not RMS but I can at least try.
I am just sad no one else is as willing to show some gumption other then me.

Viva
September 11th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Why? Did Microsoft install Windows over Linux on your computer or something? Does their marketing stop you from using Linux? Does it ruin your Linux experience? If you answered "yes" to the last question, that's pretty sad.

Again, it's an operating system, not a religion

What makes you think people only fight for their religion? If you believe in something, whether it is religion or freedom or free software, you've got to stand up and fight for it irrespective of how important the issue is. The world would be a pretty sad place if nobody fights against evil just because they're not directly effected and because the cause is not important enough.

@Sunny, don't listen to the nay-sayers. Go for it if you believe want, but I'd suggest working with people who are already fighting against the same enemy. And may I point out that the enemy is not Microsoft, but proprietary software and business monopoly.

subdivision
September 11th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Look personally I just want to stand up for something I believe in, look I want to stand up for something that I feel is right.
We cant afford to just wait around and hope things change.
I am thinking of becoming a linux activist, now more then ever.

You're free to stand up for whatever you like. I've seen tons of threads just like this one though and not one of them has made a bit of difference. The only thing I can do when I see these Call to Arms threads is roll my eyes.

I can afford it. The Microsoft vs. Linux thing doesn't affect me at all.

aaaantoine
September 11th, 2009, 04:52 PM
I think if we begin to see a drop off of Linux developers as a result of Microsoft's actions (I wouldn't doubt this is already happening), I would be a bit more concerned.

The only reason I ever root for Linux user share is because some of those users could become FOSS developers, and/or shift more hardware developers to developing Linux drivers.

SunnyRabbiera
September 11th, 2009, 04:53 PM
You're free to stand up for whatever you like. I've seen tons of threads just like this one though and not one of them has made a bit of difference. The only thing I can do when I see these Call to Arms threads is roll my eyes.

I can afford it. The Microsoft vs. Linux thing doesn't affect me at all.

Yes but MS is a monopolistic company that has done everything it can to stop its competitors, the system is about competition not one company ruling over all.
Microsoft is not my only target though, but my main one.

RiceMonster
September 11th, 2009, 04:56 PM
What makes you think people only fight for their religion? If you believe in something, whether it is religion or freedom or free software, you've got to stand up and fight for it irrespective of how important the issue is. The world would be a pretty sad place if nobody fights against evil just because they're not directly effected and because the cause is not important enough.

"Not important enough" is reason enough not to care. If this actually had an impact at all on people's lives and freedom, I would care. It's just an operating system. If your life would be that much worse had you never discovered FOSS, I pity you.

Simian Man
September 11th, 2009, 04:58 PM
The thing is that Microsoft, even with their marketing ploys, can't touch Linux. It doesn't matter how few people use it on their desktops, how few retailers sell computers preinstalled with it or much Microsoft spends on marketing itself. Linux exists and is always free and is always getting better. Use Linux. What Microsoft says isn't important.

marchwarden
September 11th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Going against a long established and deep-rooted culture is going to take much more that canvassing individuals on the street. Such education needs to come from a recognised, authoritative source.

I agree with others when they say that most passers by will perceive you to be a bit crazy, not a desirable image for OSS or yourself.

subdivision
September 11th, 2009, 05:01 PM
The thing is that Microsoft, even with their marketing ploys, can't touch Linux. It doesn't matter how few people use it on their desktops, how few retailers sell computers preinstalled with it or much Microsoft spends on marketing itself. Linux exists and is always free and is always getting better. Use Linux. What Microsoft says isn't important.

+1

Your time would be better spent helping to improve Linux, Sunny.

zer010
September 11th, 2009, 05:02 PM
You ever notice that when something goes commercial, it goes to crap? I used to be fervorous about linux because it fixed so many of my computing woes. Now I am more apathetic because most people do not want to change. So why should I encourage change? Old saying goes: In polite conversation, two subjects not to be discussed are religion and politics, it only upsets the setting and relationship. "Preaching" about linux violates both because as in politcs or religion, it's what someone is raised to believe in. Now-a-days, most people believe in M$. Let them worship at a false altar if they want. Remember, 'Don't bring others to wrath, or you will be responsible for their actions.' Let Linux stay underground as far as the masses are concerned. Just as in everything, when people get tired of the usual crap, they will seek out something better. Just be ready to welcome them when they find Linux. I just enjoy the fact that when a M$ user complains about this or that, I can chuckle, and say, "I don't have those problems." "Why, how?", they ask. And when I tell them I don't use Win....the faces are priceless!!!:P

marchwarden
September 11th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Yes but MS is a monopolistic company that has done everything it can to stop its competitors, the system is about competition not one company ruling over all.
Microsoft is not my only target though, but my main one.

To be fair, Microsoft is only doing what any business in their position would do. The issue is a lot deeper than "bad ol" Microsoft.

SunnyRabbiera
September 11th, 2009, 05:10 PM
+1

Your time would be better spent helping to improve Linux, Sunny.

Yes but I am not a programmer, so this is the next best thing.

RiceMonster
September 11th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Yes but I am not a programmer, so this is the next best thing.

There are other ways you can help like reporting bugs and donating to open source projects. This is a million times more helpful than campaigning against Microsoft.

SunnyRabbiera
September 11th, 2009, 05:14 PM
There are other ways you can help like reporting bugs and donating to open source projects. This is a million times more helpful than campaigning against Microsoft.

Well I am drawn more near to the FSF then anything else.
But I ask why not campaign against MS?
I dont plan to do anything crazy, I am just saying we could give people printouts about what is going on now.

Ms_Angel_D
September 11th, 2009, 05:15 PM
There is no point in using tactics like this. Ubuntu is good, Linux is good and that goodness will speak for itself. Look at all the people it has attracted so far without those kind of tactics. Just because you haven't seen a corporate windfall yet doesn't mean it won't happen.

Truth Goes through 3 stages, First it is ridiculed. Then it is violently opposed, finally, it is accepted as self-evident. Stage 1 has passed for linux and we are in the midst of Stage 2 hence these ads and other MS shenanigans.

Linux is growing, people who wouldn't have touched linux 5 or 10 years ago are now using it, But this isn't a corporate movement it's a community movement so it happens in a different way.

Protesting is not the answer, just talking and sharing your knowledge is.

You know I was watching Revolution OS last night, and I was thinking, it seemed old and a bit outdated, We need a new Movie like that one that's updated & current, and contains a bit of information on the current state of Linux. That would be one way to get the word out.

running_rabbit07
September 11th, 2009, 05:18 PM
We can get permits

Permits will only allow you to protest off of the property, such as along the sidewalks.

Viva
September 11th, 2009, 05:18 PM
"Not important enough" is reason enough not to care. If this actually had an impact at all on people's lives and freedom, I would care. It's just an operating system. If your life would be that much worse had you never discovered FOSS, I pity you.

I have to disagree on that one. I believe there is no place for any evil in this world no matter how small it is. What intrigues me is why a lot of you think monopoly is a small issue. Monopoly is not good for any industry, let alone one that abuses its status. As for the last line, I'm really surprised. If all the great people in history thought like that, we'd be living in pretty dire situations as slaves. If people did not fight against apartheid and discrimination just because they're not effected, the world would've been a worse place to live in.

chucky chuckaluck
September 11th, 2009, 05:22 PM

i disagree. each distro should have it's own picket line, further sub-divided by DE/wm of choice. after all, it's all about choice.
"uninstall the bosses!!!"

Chronon
September 11th, 2009, 05:24 PM

That's kind of a pointless things to say, IMO. There are many reasons one could pity another. It would be just as easy as someone with different priorities to pity you for yours. So what?

I think there's nothing wrong with being proactive about something (anything) that's important to you. I do think that the approach should be well thought out, though. I don't think picketing businesses is a good approach. Somebody mentioned monthly tabling that they do in Portland. They get permission to set up a table downtown with tri-fold printouts with information about Ubuntu and Linux maybe with Live CDs for people to take too. I think it's a good approach because you only engage when people approach you. They have selected themselves to come talk to you and they are much more likely to be open to your message than if they have other business and you kind of just come up and side bust them with a rant.

xArv3nx
September 11th, 2009, 05:29 PM
lmao

aaaantoine
September 11th, 2009, 05:30 PM
You ever notice that when something goes commercial, it goes to crap? I used to be fervorous about linux because it fixed so many of my computing woes. Now I am more apathetic because most people do not want to change. So why should I encourage change? Old saying goes: In polite conversation, two subjects not to be discussed are religion and politics, it only upsets the setting and relationship. "Preaching" about linux violates both because as in politcs or religion, it's what someone is raised to believe in. Now-a-days, most people believe in M$--[stopped reading]

Since we're on the subject, it would do a lot for Ubuntu's image if UF were to -- via forum filter -- replace all instances of "M$" in posts with MS, all instances of "Micro$oft", "Microsuck", "Microshaft" with "Microsoft", and all instances of "*******" and "Winduhs" with "Windows".

This is a grave pet peeve of mine, and I speak as a Linux user. How is any current Windows user going to take you seriously if you can't talk about Linux's chief competition without defacing their name!?

RiceMonster
September 11th, 2009, 05:35 PM
I have to disagree on that one. I believe there is no place for any evil in this world no matter how small it is. What intrigues me is why a lot of you think monopoly is a small issue. Monopoly is not good for any industry, let alone one that abuses its status. As for the last line, I'm really surprised. If all the great people in history thought like that, we'd be living in pretty dire situations as slaves. If people did not fight against apartheid and discrimination just because they're not effected, the world would've been a worse place to live in.

Slavery and aparthied are not comparable to proprietary software. Having access to source code and being able to freely redistribute a program is not comparable to basic human rights. In fact, I find your comparison insulting to people who fought against these things

You're overplaying the issue, no matter how you look at it. If you think monopoly is the issue, you're targeting the wrong issue by fighting for "software freedom" (what a ridiculous concept). Maybe it would be better to take a look at capitalism and the way the world is run rather than Microsoft itself.

Eisenwinter
September 11th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Have I mentioned how much I love you, and how much me and you think alike?

------------

Protesting outside BestBuy/WalMart/Whatever else you Americans have is useless.

Why protest to spread a computer operating system?

I'd understand if you protested outside the white house in order to call off some ridiculous law which completely violates privacy, but this is insane man (or woman, in Sunny's case).

Linux isn't about market share, it's about being the best operating system it can be, in a communal sense.

Linux users align with each other much more easily, because it's a community.

running_rabbit07
September 11th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Since we're on the subject, it would do a lot for Ubuntu's image if UF were to -- via forum filter -- replace all instances of "M$" in posts with MS, all instances of "Micro$oft", "Microsuck", "Microshaft" with "Microsoft", and all instances of "*******" and "Winduhs" with "Windows".

This is a grave pet peeve of mine, and I speak as a Linux user. How is any current Windows user going to take you seriously if you can't talk about Linux's chief competition without defacing their name!?

I agree, it is the same as any other politics. There are people who voted against McCain just because his people didn't tell the "vocals" in the crowd to shut up at his speeches.

When people bash something it just shows their inability to compete.

Viva
September 11th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Slavery and aparthied are not comparable to proprietary software. Having access to source code and being able to freely redistribute a program is not comparable to basic human rights. In fact, I find your comparison insulting to people who fought against these things

You're overplaying the issue, no matter how you look at it. If you think monopoly is the issue, you're targeting the wrong issue by fighting for "software freedom" (what a ridiculous concept). Maybe it would be better to take a look at capitalism and the way the world is run rather than Microsoft itself.

I never said that slavery and apartheid are of the same importance as software freedom. I'm only pointing out that those who're not directly effected by evil fought against it and won. You're either taking my posts too literally or reading them selectively. And no, I don't have to fight against capitalism to counter monopoly in the software industry. One of the most important positives of software freedom is that it creates free market, not just for software, but also for the software support.

running_rabbit07
September 11th, 2009, 05:43 PM
slavery and aparthied are not comparable to proprietary software. Having access to source code and being able to freely redistribute a program is not comparable to basic human rights. In fact, i find your comparison insulting to people who fought against these things

you're overplaying the issue, no matter how you look at it. If you think monopoly is the issue, you're targeting the wrong issue by fighting for "software freedom" (what a ridiculous concept). Maybe it would be better to take a look at capitalism and the way the world is run rather than microsoft itself.

+1

zer010
September 11th, 2009, 05:51 PM

I most humbly apologize, and will from here on try to constrain my personal expression, as I realize not everyone on these forums have a First Amendment.

bodyharvester
September 11th, 2009, 05:59 PM
the only people who believe that nonsense are those who wouldnt understand the truth if their own god/messiah explained it to them in every way possible

Chronon
September 11th, 2009, 06:07 PM

This whole comment sounds, to me, like an attempt to exclude the middle.

If someone thinks monopolies are a problem (and any capitalist should) then I don't understand what's so misplaced about championing something that provides a viable option to the overwhelming ruler of the OS world. It is not intrinsically anti-capitalist to choose FOSS or to educate others about its existence. Recall that economics tends to suppose that consumers are rational agents with access to all information about the market. In order to compete, the proprietary software simply needs to ensure that it presents a higher relative value than the FOSS competitors. The consumer wins, right?

Cortux
September 11th, 2009, 06:21 PM
I think Sunny has a valid point, and its ironic to see Linux users going at each other. Peace People.

Its just that if you escaped the Matrix, surely you would try your very best in every way possible to get others out so that they could see the truth. Unless you like that guy who two faced and eventually died.

Sunny, dont worry, the truth will prevail someday because those who wake up to Linux, will never go back to sleep.

haemulon
September 11th, 2009, 06:29 PM
I suppose there is a time and place for protest also.

However I would think organizing a Linux Users Group would be more productive.

You could hold one of those installation clinics where people bring their hardware for assistance with installation from the more experienced users.

Also you could organize free Linux classes at your local library.

Getting a group started and maintaining interest is the hard part.

Microsoft doesn't interest or bother me much nowadays. I don't use any of their software right now, and haven't for quite a long time.

You'd be surprised how many people out there just don't know anything about Linux at all.

Just this morning I was talking to a guy at work and we started talking computers and I mentioned I didn't use Windows.
When I mentioned Linux he said he'd be too scared to deal with Linux at all.
Imagine that scared of Linux.

cptrohn
September 11th, 2009, 06:38 PM
I do think that some of the linux distros should advertise a little more really, the biggest stumbling block is people not knowing there is another alternative out there.

Add in the fact that people are brainwashed by the corporate world into a Free=not as good mentality as well...People have a hard time wrapping their minds around the fact that somebody would just give something away and not try and make a ton of money off of it.

moster
September 11th, 2009, 06:47 PM

You comment over and over again how you disagree with OP. We get your point "genius".

What are you people not clear. Man obviously cannot stand still and look at his favorite OS take "bellow waist" kick from Microsoft. And it is normal human feeling. Obviously some of you are lacking of it.

Simian Man
September 11th, 2009, 06:56 PM
I think Sunny has a valid point, and its ironic to see Linux users going at each other. Peace People.

Its just that if you escaped the Matrix, surely you would try your very best in every way possible to get others out so that they could see the truth. Unless you like that guy who two faced and eventually died.

Sunny, dont worry, the truth will prevail someday because those who wake up to Linux, will never go back to sleep.

So using Windows is like having your body harvested for energy by machines while being forced into a fake view of reality?? Someone needs to go outside now and then.

This thread is hilarious :).

Whiffle
September 11th, 2009, 07:00 PM
So using Windows is like having your body harvested for energy by machines while being forced into a fake view of reality?? Someone needs to go outside now and then.

Weird, I'm using windows right now and I feel fine! :D

RiceMonster
September 11th, 2009, 07:02 PM
You comment over and over again how you disagree with OP. We get your point "genius".

What are you people not clear. Man obviously cannot stand still and look at his favorite OS take "bellow waist" kick from Microsoft. And it is normal human feeling. Obviously some of you are lacking of it.

Sorry, I was unaware there was a one post per thread limit here. I guess you have a problem with the people who commented over and over about how they disagree with me as well?

moster
September 11th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Sorry, I was unaware there was a one post per thread limit here. I guess you have a problem with the people who commented over and over about how they disagree with me as well?
Only limit is moral limit in your head. Which is obviously low.

Cortux
September 11th, 2009, 07:20 PM

LOL, Thats about right.

bodyharvester
September 11th, 2009, 07:22 PM
you all remember what happened at the end of the Matrix films, right?

some people just wouldnt be able to live outside the matrix, those who wanted out would be released

Cortux
September 11th, 2009, 07:22 PM

Dude, they make you feel fine but in essence your not. Thats the whole point of the deceptive machine (windows). If you dont then you retaliate and take the pill (linux)

In my case I took the coffee bean

Chronon
September 11th, 2009, 07:27 PM
you all remember what happened at the end of the Matrix films, right?

some people just wouldnt be able to live outside the matrix, those who wanted out would be released

Good point.

Whiffle
September 11th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Dude, they make you feel fine but in essence your not. Thats the whole point of the deceptive machine (windows). If you dont then you retaliate and take the pill (linux)

In my case I took the coffee bean

Well, thats the thing. I'm not *in* Windows because I don't know any better, I'm just here to get business done. Unfortunately, I don't have a black duster and a room full of weapons. I do have some cool sunglasses though. One step at a time...

I took my pill a long time ago, although I'm pretty sure its really an everlasting gobstopper, because I've been through more flavors of linux than I care to remember.

Cortux
September 11th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Well, thats the thing. I'm not *in* Windows because I don't know any better, I'm just here to get business done. Unfortunately, I don't have a black duster and a room full of weapons. I do have some cool sunglasses though. One step at a time...

I took my pill a long time ago, although I'm pretty sure its really an everlasting gobstopper, because I've been through more flavors of linux than I care to remember.

Dude, You could be THE ONE

moster
September 11th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Dude, You could be THE ONE

Do NOT answer to this. This post is obvious made by AGENT!

moster
September 11th, 2009, 07:42 PM

What is wrong with this posts. Are that same man? Or is it multiple personality disorder?

Cortux
September 11th, 2009, 07:44 PM
What is wrong with this posts. Are that same man? Or is it multiple personality disorder?

its. MR ANNDERRSONN

Giant Speck
September 11th, 2009, 07:50 PM
This thread isn't happening.

sydbat
September 11th, 2009, 07:51 PM
This thread isn't happening.Unfortunately, it is.

Giant Speck
September 11th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Unfortunately, it is.

I don't believe you.

subdivision
September 11th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Unfortunately, it is.

You only think it is. You have to realize: There is no thread.

Cortux
September 11th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Sorry Guys, I let go of myself on the whole Matrix thing, didnt mean to deviate the subject so far off.

OR DID I

Giant Speck
September 11th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Sorry Guys, I let go of myself on the whole Matrix thing, didnt mean to deviate the subject so far off.

OR DID I

It was bound to happen, anyway.

ctrlmd
September 11th, 2009, 08:06 PM
so what happen to neo did he get arrested :popcorn:

koshatnik
September 11th, 2009, 08:51 PM

You keep talking about evil. Define evil. Its a purely subjective, anachronistic and idiotic term. Nothing is evil. Evil is a value judgement made by affected. Evil is a term bandied about by idiots like George Bush to stoke up rock throwers and religious nutjobs.

Microsoft is not evil. Its a business making money for its shareholders.

The world is not black and white. Its a trillion shades of grey. Think on this: if you live in the 1st World, ie, Europe, America etc, just by living your life and maintaining your lifestyle and consuming, you are directly and indirectly responsible for the suffering and death of billions of your fellow human beings in the 3rd world.

Wher do you stand with that on your scale of "evil"?

marchwarden
September 11th, 2009, 08:52 PM
If someone thinks monopolies are a problem (and any capitalist should) then I don't understand what's so misplaced about championing something that provides a viable option to the overwhelming ruler of the OS world.

Monopolies are only a problem if it is abusing it's position. The problem goes beyond the monopoly itself when it is permitted to continue to abuse it's position over a period of time. I am inclined to believe that we are experiencing the second condition, where the only way to fix the problem is to fix the government first, not the monopoly.

Recall that economics tends to suppose that consumers are rational agents with access to all information about the market. In order to compete, the proprietary software simply needs to ensure that it presents a higher relative value than the FOSS competitors. The consumer wins, right?

True, the current situation is that proprietary software provides more utility than FOSS by virtue of the standardisation and interoperability people actually need rather than what the should, hypothetically, need.

Странник
September 11th, 2009, 08:54 PM
We must all realize that Gnu/Linux OS is a revolution.As such we must do all do our best in order to spread the message and eventually take down the vile corporate capitalist scum.

subdivision
September 11th, 2009, 08:57 PM
vile corporate capitalist scum.

Now just the other day some revolutionary was calling them pig-dogs, so now I'm confused. Are they vile scum or pig-dogs?

KiwiNZ
September 11th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Good grief people ITS JUST AN OPERATING SYSTEM for a PC

Its just not that important

There is a million bigger issues out there that need attention an energy put into . I think some people really need to turn their PC's off and get out more.

OK rant over

Bachstelze
September 11th, 2009, 08:59 PM
We must all realize that Gnu/Linux OS is a revolution.As such we must do all do our best in order to spread the message and eventually take down the vile corporate capitalist scum.

No thanks, not interesed. You remind me of a book I read recently: The Good Terrorist, by Doris Lessing.