PDA

View Full Version : MonoDevelop 2.2 Beta 1: release

argor
September 11th, 2009, 04:14 PM
MonoDevelop 2.2 Beta 1: release
for info go here http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2009/Sep-09.html

ukblacknight
September 12th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Does anyone know if there is a .deb release for this?

Why the hell MonoDevelop 2.0 is in the Ubuntu repo's I will never know, I have never used anything that is so unstable! Want to put a menubar into your gtk project? MD will crash. Want to save your project? MD will crash. Want to put some actions on your buttons? MD will crash.

I've tried compiling MD Beta 2.2 from the anon svn, however it keeps asking me for dependencies and I'm getting tired of it.

Whilst I'm on my rant - when compiling and a dependency is required, why doesn't it just fetch and install the dependency? Or at least provide the exact package name so we can easily find it and install it. :confused:

Colonel Kilkenny
September 12th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Perhaps "sudo apt-get build-dep monodevelop" helps.

ukblacknight
September 12th, 2009, 04:59 PM
I just ran that now, however it didn't help me :(

The message I'm getting is:

Checking for package 'gecko-sharp-2.0'.. ERROR: Package named 'gecko-sharp-2.0' >= 0.10 not found.

I've looked in synaptic and can't seem to find anything related.

argor
September 12th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Does anyone know if there is a .deb release for this?

Why the hell MonoDevelop 2.0 is in the Ubuntu repo's I will never know, I have never used anything that is so unstable! Want to put a menubar into your gtk project? MD will crash. Want to save your project? MD will crash. Want to put some actions on your buttons? MD will crash.

well for me MonoDevelop 2.0 is very staple for me but MonoDevelop 1 did crash sometimes

ukblacknight
September 12th, 2009, 11:02 PM
well for me MonoDevelop 2.0 is very staple for me but MonoDevelop 1 did crash sometimes

It's terrible for me, such a shame, because it seems to be a very capable IDE. There is a bug report for it where others experience the issues I do, and it is confirmed, so I hope that 2.2 addresses these problems.

yabbadabbadont
September 12th, 2009, 11:06 PM
I just ran that now, however it didn't help me :(

The message I'm getting is:

Checking for package 'gecko-sharp-2.0'.. ERROR: Package named 'gecko-sharp-2.0' >= 0.10 not found.

I've looked in synaptic and can't seem to find anything related.

Your search-fu is weak... :D

/home/daffy $ aptitude show libgecko2.0-cil
Package: libgecko2.0-cil
State: not installed
Version: 0.13-1ubuntu4
Priority: optional
Section: universe/libs
Maintainer: Ubuntu Core Developers <ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com>
Uncompressed Size: 258k
Depends: libatk1.0-0 (>= 1.20.0), libc6 (>= 2.4), libcairo2 (>= 1.2.4), libfontconfig1 (>= 2.4.0), libfreetype6 (>= 2.3.5), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1), libglib2.0-0
(>= 2.16.0), libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.15.0), libpango1.0-0 (>= 1.22.0), libstdc++6 (>= 4.1.1), zlib1g (>= 1:1.1.4), cli-common (>= 0.5.1), libglib2.0-cil
(>= 2.12.7), libgtk2.0-cil (>= 2.12.7), libmono-corlib2.0-cil (>= 1.2.2.1), xulrunner-1.9
Description: CLI binding for the GtkMozEmbed library, unstable version
This package provides assemblies that allow CLI (.NET) programs to use the GtkMozEmbed library.

phrostbyte
September 12th, 2009, 11:12 PM
If you do you use this, please report any bugs you encounter to Novell's Bugzilla.

ukblacknight
September 12th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Your search-fu is weak... :D

/home/daffy $ aptitude show libgecko2.0-cil
Package: libgecko2.0-cil
State: not installed
Version: 0.13-1ubuntu4
Priority: optional
Section: universe/libs
Maintainer: Ubuntu Core Developers <ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com>
Uncompressed Size: 258k
Depends: libatk1.0-0 (>= 1.20.0), libc6 (>= 2.4), libcairo2 (>= 1.2.4), libfontconfig1 (>= 2.4.0), libfreetype6 (>= 2.3.5), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1), libglib2.0-0
(>= 2.16.0), libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.15.0), libpango1.0-0 (>= 1.22.0), libstdc++6 (>= 4.1.1), zlib1g (>= 1:1.1.4), cli-common (>= 0.5.1), libglib2.0-cil
(>= 2.12.7), libgtk2.0-cil (>= 2.12.7), libmono-corlib2.0-cil (>= 1.2.2.1), xulrunner-1.9
Description: CLI binding for the GtkMozEmbed library, unstable version
This package provides assemblies that allow CLI (.NET) programs to use the GtkMozEmbed library.

Excellent! So now I've installed that, and it's asking me for 'mono-addins' >= 0.5. Will need to root around for that now... and compile that :P

The joys of compiling from source... would be nice to just... drop a package into a package manager and it would get all dependencies, compile it and install it!

directhex
September 12th, 2009, 11:59 PM
Patience is a virtue.

yabbadabbadont
September 13th, 2009, 12:54 AM
Excellent! So now I've installed that, and it's asking me for 'mono-addins' >= 0.5. Will need to root around for that now... and compile that :P

The joys of compiling from source... would be nice to just... drop a package into a package manager and it would get all dependencies, compile it and install it!

I laugh at your search-fu. My Dragon style conquers all! :D

/home/daffy $ aptitude search -- "-cil" | grep addin
p libmono-addins-gui0.2-cil - GTK# frontend library for Mono.Addins
p libmono-addins0.2-cil - addin framework for extensible CLI applica

Basically, most mono related packages have "-cil" in the name.

ukblacknight
September 13th, 2009, 01:03 AM
I laugh at your search-fu. My Dragon style conquers all! :D

/home/daffy $ aptitude search -- "-cil" | grep addin
p libmono-addins-gui0.2-cil - GTK# frontend library for Mono.Addins
p libmono-addins0.2-cil - addin framework for extensible CLI applica

Basically, most mono related packages have "-cil" in the name.

Been there done that - they're out of date :P

directhex
September 13th, 2009, 01:08 AM
http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-cli-apps/packages/monodevelop/trunk/debian/changelog

dum de dum

Frak
September 13th, 2009, 01:29 AM
I'm building new versions of Mono and MonoDevelop and plan on uploading them to my PPA later.

Jimleko211
September 13th, 2009, 01:39 AM
Monodevelop is a fine IDE, but I can't stand the mono platform...every GTK# object I try to use I can't use it because the documentation is lacking in helpfullness, and the calls are just like..."how the hell do I display a message?"

Mono would be a lot better if it, honestly, attempted to be a clone of .NET, not just something like it that's compatible.

Frak
September 13th, 2009, 02:02 AM
Monodevelop is a fine IDE, but I can't stand the mono platform...every GTK# object I try to use I can't use it because the documentation is lacking in helpfullness, and the calls are just like..."how the hell do I display a message?"

Mono would be a lot better if it, honestly, attempted to be a clone of .NET, not just something like it that's compatible.
Amen

ukblacknight
September 13th, 2009, 01:12 PM
I'm building new versions of Mono and MonoDevelop and plan on uploading them to my PPA later.

Great :D I'll be using that then, instead of trying to find these dependencies!

directhex
September 13th, 2009, 02:20 PM

That totals about 15 source packages

Why would you do such a thing independently of the package's maintainers? Why do all the work & auditing required patching, then have the package's maintainers duplicate that work? Why not cooperate?

Frak
September 13th, 2009, 04:19 PM

Why would you do such a thing independently of the package's maintainers? Why do all the work & auditing required patching, then have the package's maintainers duplicate that work? Why not cooperate?
Because I hate the packagers. Nuff said.

ukblacknight
September 13th, 2009, 05:15 PM

As far as I know, MonoDevelop doesn't have a Ubuntu, Debian or Fedora package for its Beta build. Seems strange not creating a package for the most popular distro's. How hard can it be to simply provide a package for them?

directhex
September 13th, 2009, 05:24 PM
As far as I know, MonoDevelop doesn't have a Ubuntu, Debian or Fedora package for its Beta build. Seems strange not creating a package for the most popular distro's. How hard can it be to simply provide a package for them?

Pretty hard. Not every distro arranges its packages in the same way, and patching is often needed to better integrate into a distro

NeonRush
September 18th, 2009, 04:06 AM
Hi Frak, I'm not a huge help asker out here, but I was really curious if you managed to package the new monodevelop source? I've been trying to compile it myself for a few days now and all I've managed to do is hose my old mono stuff. Any help would make you my savior. Thanks

Mateo
September 18th, 2009, 04:11 AM
so... does it debug again yet?

Frak
September 18th, 2009, 06:14 AM
Hi Frak, I'm not a huge help asker out here, but I was really curious if you managed to package the new monodevelop source? I've been trying to compile it myself for a few days now and all I've managed to do is hose my old mono stuff. Any help would make you my savior. Thanks
No, I haven't. When it builds, the binary is unusable.

directhex
September 18th, 2009, 03:04 PM

I did it back on the same day Frak announced his insurgency, but I like to have my work double-checked before exposing it to the public.

ukblacknight
September 18th, 2009, 03:18 PM

When I tried compiling my own, it kinda damaged my mono stuff too. When I start Banshee, it crashes several times, until about the 5th time it will eventually stay open!

Murrquan
September 19th, 2009, 08:24 AM
I did it back on the same day Frak announced his insurgency, but I like to have my work double-checked before exposing it to the public.

I look forward to seeing it. ^.^ Especially with the new ability to start Moonlight projects straight from the IDE. Developing Silverlight web games with Free Software FTW!

Oh, and I'm sorry about how they replaced Silverlight with Flash on that one TV website, in your blog. >.>

cb951303
October 12th, 2009, 04:13 PM
hi jo, whats the status on monodevelop beta packages?
I've take a look on your PPA but it's not there?

directhex
October 12th, 2009, 04:52 PM
hi jo, whats the status on monodevelop beta packages?
I've take a look on your PPA but it's not there?

I forgot about it, truth be told. I've made the change I was asked to make (sorry Murrquan, disabling Moonlight support until we have the required Moonlight SDK in Debian/Ubuntu), so it needs one last double-check before I can upload it to Debian/PPA

cb951303
October 12th, 2009, 06:45 PM
thanks.

btw, monodoc-browser doesn't work in karmic. any ideas?

Frak
October 12th, 2009, 09:35 PM
thanks.

It's broken.

directhex
October 12th, 2009, 11:45 PM
thanks.

Working on it.

directhex
October 13th, 2009, 12:29 AM
http://paste2.org/p/465799

4 hours of work for a fix, but it DOES fix it. I'll upload an ubuntu2 package, plus a fix for Debian too.

cb951303
October 13th, 2009, 07:42 AM
thanks jo, really appreciated.

directhex
October 13th, 2009, 10:47 AM
thanks jo, really appreciated.

Subject: [ubuntu/karmic] mono-tools 2.4.2-1ubuntu2 (Accepted)

Brezhonneg
October 27th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Hi directhex,

I see that monodevelop 2.2 beta 2 made it to your PPA. Does it include the version control plugin, or will that be packaged separately?

Thanks!

jaxxstorm
October 27th, 2009, 12:52 PM
I've got a fairly decent grounding in PHP/MySQL and other web technologies, as well as being pretty up to scratch with VB.NET and shell scripting.

How hard would I find it to develop an application with Mono/MonoDevelop?

directhex
October 27th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Hi directhex,

I see that monodevelop 2.2 beta 2 made it to your PPA. Does it include the version control plugin, or will that be packaged separately?

Thanks!

monodevelop-versioncontrol is a binary package produced as part of the monodevelop source package.

directhex
October 27th, 2009, 02:02 PM
I've got a fairly decent grounding in PHP/MySQL and other web technologies, as well as being pretty up to scratch with VB.NET and shell scripting.

How hard would I find it to develop an application with Mono/MonoDevelop?

Depends on what you want to do. MD has VB.NET support (although no GUI designer for it). Generally, think of it as fully featured for C#, and merely a souped up text editor for other languages

directhex
October 27th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Boo and Python addins still need to be done, btw. Boo addin requires post-Karmic Boo, and Boo is pretty badly behaved when it comes to updates (i.e. need to discuss policy with others before it can happen)

gpnet
November 12th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Hi to all guys.

I am new here. I was reading about having monodevelop 2.2 beta2. I was just looking for that but i didn't find anything for my ubuntu 9.10.

Someone of you mentioned about a package on PPA. Could I have a link to download this package ?

Also I didn't see what mono version package is installed on ubuntu 9.10. Do you think I have to update or install the last version of mono ?

Thanks to all.
Joss

Brezhonneg
November 12th, 2009, 04:32 PM
To check what is installed on my system, I like to use dpkg. For instance, you could do 'dpkg -l mono\* | grep ii'. Use the dpkg man page for more info.

If mono is not installed, use apt-get to install it (see apt-get man page for more info).

As for the PPA, here is the link:
https://launchpad.net/~directhex/+archive/monoxide

You will also find installation instruction on that page.

Hope that helps...

gpnet
November 12th, 2009, 06:55 PM
thank you Brezhonneg now I check with the command you suggest me.

About the monodevolop i check the link you told me , bu it is not for monodevelop but just for mono.
This is not what I was looking for.

Do you have another link ? or this is the only one ?.

Thanks

EDIT :
Sorry , I didn't the filter OS button. Now I see the monodevelop package. Thanks again