PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu fails at start

Mattedatten
September 11th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Hey all (Sorry for errors, this message has dissapeared for me two times already, so this is my third time trying to write)

My WinXp crashed when getting some new update, now it won't start because the file "hal.dll" is corrupted... I called the dell support, but they had no good solution, just:
1. Recovering the computers default state using Dell system recovery
2. Waiting 2-3 weeks for them to send me cds (This computer was bought "in an season when dell didnt send cds with their computers")

But after some foruming i got the tip of installing ubuntu, and do one of the following:
1. Copy all my files onto a external harddrive and do the recovery
2. Download a hal.dll file from the internet and put it into the system32 folder

Ok then, i downladed ubuntu from http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download and are trying to boot from the cd (without installing) But it fails after the log-in screen...

I don't have an account to log in to, so i wait 30 sce to get logged in onto "ubuntu", but when it logs in the screen looks strange and i get some error about "local network" or something, then it goes back to the log in screen.. I wait 10 sec to log in, and the same happens again...

So any solutions how to start ubuntu up without installing it but making it to work anyway?
And remember, i've never used ubuntu before :)
///Mattedatten

daisyashe
September 11th, 2009, 03:29 PM
If you are getting a problem why don't you reinstall ubuntu.
May be there is any mistake during installation.

Mattedatten
September 11th, 2009, 03:31 PM
If you are getting a problem why don't you reinstall ubuntu.
May be there is any mistake during installation.
Hm, well, i've not installed ubuntu, im booting direcctly from the cd :P

Mattedatten
September 11th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Ok, i fixed it by clicking f4 at the menu where the cd boots and setting the setting to something that made graphics work, and now does it work! :) And by the way, ubuntu looks cool