PDA

View Full Version : [wubi] Move wubi System to Another Location

plade
September 11th, 2009, 08:31 AM
This is for all those people who installed a wubi system on their hard drive and now want to access the rest of the partition on which it is installed.
For people like me who use pay-per-use internet, it is really a pain to install a fresh system and have it upgraded again.

I have a workaround for this as follows :

Suppose you are moving Ubuntu from D: drive to E: drive.

The wubi install has the following files in the system currently :

C:\wubildr and C:\wubildr.mbr : These files are used in the windows boot loader to start the ubuntu GRUB loader.
The folder D:\ubuntu : This folder is where the ubuntu system lies, and contains the ubuntu installer, the wubi uninstaller and the GRUB loader in addition to the ubuntu virtual disk.

Now to move the system to E:, we basically need to tell the GRUB loader where the system currently lies.

1. Move the D:\ubuntu folder to the new location E:\.
2. Open the file E:\ubuntu\disks\boot\grub\menu.lst using an editor (not notepad)
( If you are not sure what you are doing, first copy the file somewhere, maybe in the same folder with different name. )
3. Lines starting with a "#" are comments to show you how to modify the file.
Now run to the last few lines of the file. There are a few lines with the headings "title", "root", "kernel" and "initrd".
In the lines with heading "kernel" is the location of the ubuntu system stored.
Mine shows this :

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-15-generic root=UUID=70FCA54AFCA50C02 loop=/ubuntu/disks/root.disk ro quiet splash the UUID=70FCA54AFCA50C02 part is the identifier of the partition and we need to change that.

4. Replace all instances of UUID=70FCA54AFCA50C02 with the new UUID=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
5. Save the file and you are done.

__________________________________________________ _______________________

To find UUID of the partition:

Boot the system using ubuntu live cd and start ubuntu session.
Open the terminal and write :

sudo blkidFind the UUID associated with the required partition using the volume label.
(It obviously will not show it as "E:")

Hope this helps.