PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how do proxies work

rhythmiccycle
September 11th, 2009, 07:58 AM
when i install some versions of linux it will ask me about proxies.

i'm having problems updating my pc, i think a proxie my solve this problem

but i never used one before.

what do they work, and what can they do?

cak3
September 11th, 2009, 08:06 AM
It is unlikely that your problem is proxy related, unless you are already using one.

Usually (and in this case) a proxy refers to a server that stands between you and the rest of the internet. All traffic, to or from your machine, first goes through that proxy before going to it's destination. The result is that, to an outside observer (one on teh internet) it looks like you are located at the proxy, not wherever you are (i.e, they don't see your IP).
It can get more interesting, of course, and I probably got something wrong, but that is the general idea.

It asks about proxies because some computers on many corporate or enterprise network connect through a proxy. If you are a home user, that is unlikely.

Give us some more info about the problem though, and we may be able to figure out what it going on.

rhythmiccycle
September 11th, 2009, 02:50 PM
the computer that is not updating in the one at my work. certain website work and others don't, I found ways to get around on the web (tor).

but there are so many things i still cannot do. such as download javaplugin for firefox. and use apt, synaptic, add/remove, update.

i host a website from my home pc. and i can get to that website from work.

i was thinking maybe i could use that as a proxy. but i don't really know how they work of even if thats possable.