PDA

View Full Version : How about a GNU Linux MEGA distro?

arman.haghi
September 11th, 2009, 05:00 AM
here's something interesting:

tinycorelinux.com (http://tinycorelinux.com)

footprint? 10mb

Windows Vista: 15GB (minimum)

Obviously tinycore is no Vista, not saying that it is, but really - 14.99GB difference to get all the rest up?

Maybe GNU/Linux needs a MEGA distro that ships on 3 DVDS and has everything installed and takes 20GB of space. People value heavier things, think when you get a present, and the box is heavy...

Thoughts?

Whiffle
September 11th, 2009, 05:12 AM
How about 5 DVD's?

http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/5.0.3/i386/iso-dvd/

earthpigg
September 11th, 2009, 05:15 AM
they call it Debian, the universal operating system.

edit: beat me to it.

NormanFLinux
September 11th, 2009, 05:23 AM
This one is for geeks. I like a GUI based OS. For me, LXDE fits the bill. Why reinvent the wheel?

yabbadabbadont
September 11th, 2009, 05:31 AM
Why reinvent the wheel?

LXDE, and Linux itself, only exist because someone decided to "reinvent the wheel." :D

Frak
September 11th, 2009, 05:48 AM
LXDE, and Linux itself, only exist because someone decided to "reinvent the wheel." :D
What's sad is when people reinvent applications that do roughly the same thing, are both fully interchangable, do nearly all the same things, no more/no less, use the same license and terms, and follow a nearly exact development cycle.

THAT sir is what I'm afraid of happening. I don't care if it is "another option". If they are both resource hogs, and they both do the same thing to my input, WHY DO WE NEED ANOTHER?

I am referring to LXDM by-the-way.

yabbadabbadont
September 11th, 2009, 05:51 AM
It is just like art. (some would argue that it is art) It exists because the person creating it felt the need to do so, and no other justification is needed. ;)

Frak
September 11th, 2009, 05:55 AM
It is just like art. (some would argue that it is art) It exists because the person creating it felt the need to do so, and no other justification is needed. ;)
In this case, they are detracting from LXDE to work on a complete substitute for GDM, XDM, or SLiM with LXDM. I'd really like to see the reasons for creating something completely new, without starting off an existing base.

What's different about this than art is that, in this case, other artists will give you a copy of their art to make the process faster.

yabbadabbadont
September 11th, 2009, 06:00 AM
In this case, they are detracting from LXDE ...

In your opinion they are doing so. I doubt that they see it the same way. Since they are the ones doing it, their opinion is the only one that really matters. Devs write stuff because it fulfills a need for them. Usefulness to others is a secondary consideration. (Unless they are being paid to develop it.)

earthpigg
September 11th, 2009, 06:11 AM
In this case, they are detracting from LXDE to work on a complete substitute for GDM, XDM, or SLiM with LXDM.

Free Software is not a zero sum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_sum) game.

have you interviewed the lead dev of LXDM?

how do you know that his only interest in contributing to lxde is if he can work on what he considers the perfect display manager, and would otherwise have absolutely no interest at all in lxde?

working on LXDM does not mean he (or a few dozen talented others presently working on LXDM) would otherwise be working on another part of LXDE.

Mr Swillis
September 11th, 2009, 06:13 AM
LOL, yeah, install ALL of the Debian CDs and you'll need a whole data center for all the bloat. I think that's actually one of the primary reasons derivatives like Ubuntu came about to begin with. Debian just offers too much for a newcomer to sort out what they really need... nothing against Debian, btw, I just think it's funny all those CDs are still available. Net install FTW!

Swill

Frak
September 11th, 2009, 06:42 AM
In your opinion they are doing so. I doubt that they see it the same way. Since they are the ones doing it, their opinion is the only one that really matters. Devs write stuff because it fulfills a need for them. Usefulness to others is a secondary consideration. (Unless they are being paid to develop it.)

Free Software is not a zero sum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_sum) game.

have you interviewed the lead dev of LXDM?

how do you know that his only interest in contributing to lxde is if he can work on what he considers the perfect display manager, and would otherwise have absolutely no interest at all in lxde?

working on LXDM does not mean he (or a few dozen talented others presently working on LXDM) would otherwise be working on another part of LXDE.

Well, we could either just argue about it, and you guys just not acknowledge what I'm saying, or, we could all agree that LXDE team is packing a lot on their backs for the next release of Ubuntu/Lubuntu. If they have one month to release Lubuntu, then working on a DM system now is detracting from work. That's not opinion, that's fact.

CJ Master
September 11th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Well, we could either just argue about it, and you guys just not acknowledge what I'm saying, or, we could all agree that LXDE team is packing a lot on their backs for the next release of Ubuntu/Lubuntu. If they have one month to release Lubuntu, then working on a DM system now is detracting from work. That's not opinion, that's fact.

It is detracting nothing from their work, they are merely focusing their work on another object.

toupeiro
September 11th, 2009, 08:12 AM
There are three mega distro's based off GNU/Linux... Debian, Slackware, and Redhat. You want just one, better pick one because these three have been around since the beginning and will not be absorbed into eachother. Almost every GNU/Linux distro available out there is based off of one of these three. The number of active exceptions to this can most likely be counted on one hand.

earthpigg
September 11th, 2009, 08:24 AM
There are three mega distro's based off GNU/Linux... Debian, Slackware, and Redhat. ... Almost every GNU/Linux distro available out there is based off of one of these three. The number of active exceptions to this can most likely be counted on one hand.

gentoo
puppy
dsl

ummmmmmmmmmmmm http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8c/Gldt.svg

Frak
September 11th, 2009, 09:39 PM
It is detracting nothing from their work, they are merely focusing their work on another object.
Nope. When you take less of your time to work on the main project, instead of using most of your time to meet a deadline, you are detracting from your work.

yabbadabbadont
September 11th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Nope. When you take less of your time to work on the main project, instead of using most of your time to meet a deadline, you are detracting from your work.

They are the ones who set the deadline... it means exactly squat. What part of, "It's their project, their time, their effort, they can do whatever the heck they want and if you don't like it, tough", do you not understand? :lol:

Frak
September 11th, 2009, 10:22 PM
They are the ones who set the deadline... it means exactly squat. What part of, "It's their project, their time, their effort, they can do whatever the heck they want and if you don't like it, tough", do you not understand? :lol:
*facepalm*

You aren't reading what I'm posting nor what Canonical is expecting. Canonical is expecting Lubuntu for the next release of Ubuntu, but some developers have branched off to work on a new DM system for it.

People not reading my posts makes me über-lol :lol: They also make me throw down my ignore-hammer.

Dharmachakra
September 11th, 2009, 10:39 PM
15GB for Vista? I used 10GB for C: and I still had 3GB left over.

Anyways, OpenSUSE certainly isn't a mega distro, but I think it fits that kind of thing pretty well. That's if we talk about DVD install.

There are plenty of distros that come with "everything" installed. I think users notice that a lot more than the final install size. You have a point about the default software but I don't know about the size.

solitaire
September 11th, 2009, 10:41 PM
The one *slight* problem with the "mega" distro is...

With Windows you get a few programs and 15Gb of bloat and a nearly empty menu.

With a full Gnu/Linux install you get thousands of programs a bit of bloat and not enough space on the screen to handle the menu (you might need one of those new Nvidia cards that can display to 6 hi-res monitors, just to handle listing all the programs in the menu???) lol

markbuntu
September 12th, 2009, 03:29 AM
The best thing about linux is that you can start really really small and then add all the bloat your heart desires and it is all up to you, entirely your decision, and all for free.

If you want a really extensive menu you can install ubuntu Gnome and then all of KDE and then UbuntuStudio on top of that. I did that once and the menus were still pretty tidy considering.