PDA

View Full Version : New PC Build.....

toejamfootball
September 11th, 2009, 04:15 AM
Not long ago I made a thread like this, but unfortunately a few things came up and I couldn't go ahead with the build.

Now it looks like in the next couple weeks I will be ordering parts for my new PC.

Just wondering if you guys could double check the components for me and tell me whether I will run into any compatibility problems. This will be my second build.

Parts list (http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Ah314F-Mf0MqdElMZjRIQWRzMUdRam5RSUh6RTdiRnc&hl=en)

The mobo has on-board (nVidia) graphics which will do me for now.

I am also getting 2 cases and 2 PSU, one of each will replace my recording PC which has cheap case and PSU.

Cheers!

Skripka
September 11th, 2009, 04:40 AM
A giant case...and you're using a micro-ATX board?

That is really the only "problem" I see.

The Jinx
September 11th, 2009, 05:08 AM
Why, get 3 seperate 320gb HDD and not like a single 1tb HDD?

yabbadabbadont
September 11th, 2009, 05:10 AM

It might be cheaper. It would allow one to spread the load across multiple disks for possibly faster response. It would allow for a possible raid setup.

Skripka
September 11th, 2009, 05:28 AM
It might be cheaper. It would allow one to spread the load across multiple disks for possibly faster response. It would allow for a possible raid setup.

Also, odds are the latency is lower on 3 320s, as comparet to a 1TB. It also lets one sandbox their system against 1 drive dying completely disabling their system, or destroying all their data. I have FOUR (four) drives in my tower.

earthpigg
September 11th, 2009, 06:16 AM
I have FOUR (four) drives in my tower.

any of them SSD, out of curiosity?

ssd ftw.

toejamfootball
September 11th, 2009, 08:42 AM
A giant case...and you're using a micro-ATX board?

That is really the only "problem" I see.

I didn't even notice this, it's a good board for my price range I think.

1 is for another box, and then i will have two in the new one.

Also, odds are the latency is lower on 3 320s, as comparet to a 1TB. It also lets one sandbox their system against 1 drive dying completely disabling their system, or destroying all their data. I have FOUR (four) drives in my tower.

Yeah I am also thinking of trying RAID.

Thanks guys.

earthpigg
September 11th, 2009, 09:14 AM
I didn't even notice this, it's a good board for my price range I think.

yeah, if you never want to upgrade i suppose it is :D

Warpnow
September 11th, 2009, 09:16 AM
The RAM looks to be expensive for what it is, just my opinion.

$69.99 after rebates: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145247

I also think the PSU is overpriced, but won't make a suggestion at the moment as I haven't been researching them lately. That DVD-RW is also like triple the price I see them for at Fry's all the time, is something special about it?

If I were going to do an external drive I'd get an eSata card and a drive dock, where the drive just plugs into the dock, and you get full speed. Can also just switch out the drives like catridges.

Exodist
September 11th, 2009, 10:09 AM
RAID0 comes to mind..

If you good I will let you touch my Raptors..

toejamfootball
September 11th, 2009, 12:30 PM
yeah, if you never want to upgrade i suppose it is :D

n00b warning, how would having a normal ATX board make it better for upgrading?

The RAM looks to be expensive for what it is, just my opinion.

$69.99 after rebates: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145247

I also think the PSU is overpriced, but won't make a suggestion at the moment as I haven't been researching them lately. That DVD-RW is also like triple the price I see them for at Fry's all the time, is something special about it?

If I were going to do an external drive I'd get an eSata card and a drive dock, where the drive just plugs into the dock, and you get full speed. Can also just switch out the drives like catridges.

All the DVDRWs are about that price at Umart.com.au, unfortunately I cannot afford eSata.

Skripka
September 11th, 2009, 01:15 PM
n00b warning, how would having a normal ATX board make it better for upgrading?

All the DVDRWs are about that price at Umart.com.au, unfortunately I cannot afford eSata.

I actually doubt that NewEgg ships to Oz, and even if they did-it probably wouldn't save you money.

As far as upgrading, the micro-ATX boards are cramped-and PCi slot space is at a high-premium but that shouldn't matter that much to ye who don't plan on buying a Graphics Brick (GPU).

One thing to Google about-I have heard tales of AMD CPUs doing strange things with 4 DIMMs of memory. Namely that when someone uses 4 DIMMs of 1066(or greater) memory-the memory controller will declock the DIMMs down to 800mHz automatically (and there is squat the user can do about it). I read about it on the OCZ memory forum, and only have 800mHz here myself-so I cannot speak for this personally.

earthpigg
September 11th, 2009, 08:07 PM
how would having a normal ATX board make it better for upgrading?

look closely at the picture of the motherboard and visualise any potential hardware upgrades you may want to do in the future. how many RAM slots? PCI slots? etc

microATX is designed specifically to save money in situations where you know you will not need to upgrade. office workstations, for example.

but, depending on your needs (and assuming you can predict your future needs), it may be perfectly suitable.

toejamfootball
September 18th, 2009, 01:14 AM
OK so I have decided to spend a little extra money and go with an Intel processor, I have also chosen an ATX board now, and am going with a Video card(Nvidia). How does all this look?

http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv288/jamesphotosTjF/Gear/Screenshot.png

Thanks again everyone!

HappyFeet
September 18th, 2009, 01:25 AM
OK so I have decided to spend a little extra money and go with an Intel processor, I have also chosen an ATX board now, and am going with a Video card(Nvidia). How does all this look?

http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv288/jamesphotosTjF/Gear/Screenshot.png

Thanks again everyone!
Nice computer. But you could have gotten a top of the line quad core AMD cpu for that kind of money. I always buy AMD, because benchmark results don't impress me, and the average person would probably never notice a difference anyway. Take my opinion for what it's worth. I only have my own computer business. ;)

HappyFeet
September 18th, 2009, 01:31 AM
For example, here (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103675) is a quad core @3.0ghz for $169.

toejamfootball
September 18th, 2009, 01:31 AM
Nice computer. But you could have gotten a top of the line quad core AMD cpu for that kind of money. I always buy AMD, because benchmark results don't impress me, and the average person would probably never notice a difference anyway. Take my opinion for what it's worth. I only have my own computer business. ;)
That's a good point I guess, for the same price I could have an AMD quad...... hmmmm

HappyFeet
September 18th, 2009, 01:35 AM
Trust me when I say you will love the AMD quad core. I can have 12 apps open and virtualbox running, and it never goes beyond 15-20% cpu usage. I don't think I could max it out if I wanted to. My computer is screaming fast.

I just think intel is WAY over-hyped by the benchmark junkies. Chances are, there will be a bottle neck in your system, negating any benefit of a "better" cpu.

toejamfootball
September 18th, 2009, 01:40 AM
Trust me when I say you will love the AMD quad core. I can have 12 apps open and virtualbox running, and it never goes beyond 15-20% cpu usage. I don't think I could max it out if I wanted to. My computer is screaming fast.

I just think intel is WAY over-hyped by the benchmark junkies. Chances are, there will be a bottle neck in your system, negating any benefit of a "better" cpu.
The PC I use for recording/editing music is an AMD dual core and It has no trouble.

Heres what I've got now....

http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv288/jamesphotosTjF/Gear/Screenshot-1.png

Hmmm, the mobo has HDMI, maybe I should not worry about a GPU?

EDIT: :D my screen isn't HDMI, and the onboard is ATI....

I'm going to get this mobo instead I think - http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=3097

I like the look of it better, no onboard video so will save some $$$ there....

HappyFeet
September 18th, 2009, 01:55 AM
The PC I use for recording/editing music is an AMD dual core and It has no trouble.

Heres what I've got now....

http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv288/jamesphotosTjF/Gear/Screenshot-1.png

Hmmm, the mobo has HDMI, maybe I should not worry about a GPU?

EDIT: :D my screen isn't HDMI, and the onboard is ATI....
If you are having no speed issues with your AMD dual core, I think you are better off saving some money and just upgrading to an AMD quad. But then again, it's your money.

I am running a regular Phenom quad, am a HEAVY multi-tasker, and have no issues whatsoever. But I'm sure the Intel fanboys will chime in soon with their opinion.

Actually, most people would kill for what you have now.

HappyFeet
September 18th, 2009, 01:59 AM
Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks,is it what you're talking about?RAID 0 (striped disks) distributes data across several disks in a way that gives improved speed at any given instant. If one disk fails, however, all of the data on the array will be lost, as there is neither parity nor mirroring.

What post are you replying to? I think you may be lost. And btw, RAID is WAY overrated too. Just do regular backups, and you'll be fine.

toejamfootball
September 18th, 2009, 02:10 AM
What post are you replying to? I think you may be lost. And btw, RAID is WAY overrated too. Just do regular backups, and you'll be fine.
Yeah, I thought about RAID, but I am just going to do manual backups, which I do already.

earthpigg
September 18th, 2009, 10:25 PM
the general not-nearly-always-true 'rule-of-thumb' about AMD vs Intel:

the most super-duper top-of-the-line Intel will generally be better than the equivelant AMD.

beyond that, AMD is better bang for your buck.

fela
September 18th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Just get an AMD quad core and an ATX mobo with nvidia integrated and a PCIe slot for future upgrades. And 2 or 4GB of RAM.

Then call it a great PC and don't worry about the latest intel i7 975 or whatever the fastest one is today.

That's what I do with my current PC which is in my sig.