PDA

View Full Version : Who here mixes and matches different DE apps?

Jimleko211
September 10th, 2009, 10:22 PM
I know I do. For example, I love the GNOME interface, but I love how KMail will actually stay in my system tray, and I love how Kate will indent for me, but it's still a text editor.

steeleyuk
September 10th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Gedit can do indents... unless I'm missing something specific.

Personally, I try to avoid using KDE apps in GNOME and vice-versa.

NormanFLinux
September 10th, 2009, 10:27 PM
You can do that as long as you don't pull in the libraries of another DE. I can install most GNOME apps in LXDE. But you have to make sure you don't pull in the DE libraries of GNOME along with it. In GNOME, be careful not to install KDE libraries. Just watch what you install and the apps should get along with your DE.

Jimleko211
September 10th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Gedit can do indents... unless I'm missing something specific.

Huh, I just found that feature. I had been looking for that forever. They really shouldn't hide it that much, in Kate it's so much easier to find (which is really weird for a KDE app o.o)

lovinglinux
September 10th, 2009, 10:59 PM
I use Gnome and I don't like KDE very much, but I have kde-core installed just to play with plasma over gnome. Running both, at the same time, is pretty cool.

I like gedit for simple stuff, like editing config files, but for programming Kate is superb for my needs.

I recently discovered that ksysguard is way much better that Gnome system Monitor. For instance, it uses almost no CPU to run.

gn2
September 10th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Amarok, digiKam, K3b, Dolphin are all installed in my Gnome Ubuntu 8.04

kerry_s
September 10th, 2009, 11:24 PM
yeap, i mix, don't care which de/wm it was made for, if i like it i'll find a way to use it.

earthpigg
September 10th, 2009, 11:41 PM
kolourpaint is my preferred simple editor, and i use lxde.

kerry_s
September 10th, 2009, 11:51 PM
kolourpaint is my preferred simple editor, and i use lxde.

me to, gimp is the only program i uninstall & replace with kolourpaint, everything else i don't mind leaving, but gimp i won't use that at all once i have kolourpaint.

doorknob60
September 11th, 2009, 04:40 AM
I use whatever works best. Like I use Firefox in KDE since it has greasemonkey, stumble, adblock, etc. that Konqueror doesn't. Also in Openbox I used Ktorrent, Kolourpaint, and K3b occasionaly. And back in old days (2 years ago) I used Amarok 1.4 in Gnome on Ubuntu, but that's changed now, hasn't it?

sertse
September 11th, 2009, 05:15 AM
Me me me.

I run a mixed xfce/lxde/fluxbox setup.

Xfce terminal/desktop/editor/power manager. Lxde appearance/file manager/session manager and fluxbox as my wm.

jrusso2
September 11th, 2009, 05:19 AM
I am from the school of using what works best. Be it Gnome or KDE. Open Source or proprietary, even can on occasion run a windows app in WINE although I prefer not to do this if possible.

mehaga
September 11th, 2009, 05:25 AM
i am from the school of using what works best. Be it gnome or kde. Open source or proprietary, even can on occasion run a windows app in wine although i prefer not to do this if possible.

+1

Riffer
September 11th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Krita, a nice fairly simple photo editing software. Perfect for simple crops etc. Works well with Gnome.

gn2
September 11th, 2009, 09:45 AM
And back in old days (2 years ago) I used Amarok 1.4 in Gnome on Ubuntu, but that's changed now, hasn't it?

You can still use 1.4 if you prefer it.
It's still default in 8.04 (and will probably remain so until April 2011)

hessiess
September 11th, 2009, 10:51 AM
I dont use a desktop environment and generally use any app as long as its GTK based and does not need a notification area(I have no panels at all).

XubuRoxMySox
September 11th, 2009, 01:36 PM
I run LXDE and have some Gnome apps and a couple of KDE apps. K3b is tons better for me than it's Gnome equivalent (whose name escapes me just now). I kinda like Kmail too, about the same as Thunderbird. It's fun to try out new apps, and I mix and match them without much discrimination and - so far at least - without any trouble.

-Robin