PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Screen 4 in installation, am missing option to install side by side

bhsf
September 10th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Hello, I am trying to do a dual boot installation with Windows XP on an HP 550 notebook. The notebook has a 250 GB hard drive with one partition. I was under the impression the Ubuntu installer would give you the option on screen 4 to install Ubuntu side by side with Windows, and give you the ability to manually set the size of the partitions for each OS. This option is missing - I can only use the entire disk, use the largest continuous free spze, or specify partitions manually. Any suggestions on why this option is not available?

thanks,
Brian

cholericfun
September 10th, 2009, 10:22 PM
No idea, but why not use gpartet of the liveCD to do that?

theres a lot of detailed description on dual boot set up as well here...

bhsf
September 10th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Thanks, I went to try that, and got a message from gparted about a disk error so I ran chkdsk /f and there was something wrong with some sectors being misclassified. I couldn't tell exactly what the error was bc the screen flashed so quickly. After that, I was able to find the option I was looking for on step 4.

Dlobster
September 12th, 2009, 06:57 PM
I am having the same problem trying to install to a HP DC5100.
I am using the same disk I used for a stand alone ion one laptop and a dual boot on another with XP pro.
I am new to this, how best (easiest & safest) to partition the existing disk? Will I then get an option of where to install?
Dan