PDA

View Full Version : "Twitter is for old people!..."

HappinessNow
September 10th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Interesting article:

Twitter is for old people, work experience whiz-kid tells bankers

... The world according to Matthew Robson aged 15 and a half
Radio With online sites streaming music for free they do not bother, as services such as last.fm do this advert free and users can choose the songs they want instead of listening to what the radio presenter/DJ chooses
Newspapers No teenager that I know of regularly reads a newspaper, as most do not have the time and cannot be bothered to read pages and pages of text while they could watch the news summarised on the internet or on TV
Internet Facebook is the most common, with nearly everyone with an internet connection registered. On the other hand, teenagers do not use Twitter
Music They are very reluctant to pay for it (most having never bought a CD) Teenagers from higher income families use iPods and those from lower income families use mobile phones
Directories Real directories contain listings for builders and florists, which are services teenagers do not require. They can get the information free on the internet
Viral/Outdoor Marketing “Most teenagers enjoy and support viral marketing... Teenagers see adverts on websites (pop-ups, banner ads) as extremely annoying and pointless...they are portrayed in such a negative light that no one follows them.”
Cinema Teenagers visit the cinema more often when they are in the lower end of teendom but as they approach 15 they go to the cinema a lot less. This is because of the pricing; at 15 they have to pay the adult price. Also it is possible to buy a pirated DVD of the film at the time of release, and these cost much less than a cinema ticket
Mobile phones The general view is that Sony Ericsson phones are superior, because of their long list of features, built-in Walkman capacity and value
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article6703399.ece

Read the full report published by Morgan Stanley Research Europe:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/17319794/How-Teenagers-Consume-Media

It would be interesting to hear from teenage users on ubuntuforums to see how your views differ from Matthews above.

gtr32
September 10th, 2009, 09:33 PM
I'm not a teenager but there's really not many surprising items in the list. Maybe Sony Ericsson as the choice as a mobile.

I'm in my late 30's and I don't really know anyone that uses twitter. Facebook yes, including myself, and the youngsters use MySpace although I don't know if that is dying down.

HappinessNow
September 10th, 2009, 09:58 PM
I'm not a teenager but there's really not many surprising items in the list. Maybe Sony Ericsson as the choice as a mobile.

I'm in my late 30's and I don't really know anyone that uses twitter. Facebook yes, including myself, and the youngsters use MySpace although I don't know if that is dying down.
I agree the Sony Ericsson threw me off also.

LowSky
September 10th, 2009, 10:04 PM
OK i'm 25 so I might not be a teen anymore but this is nearly laughable
here is how I see it...

Radio, people still listen, especially in their cars.

Newspapers have been out of style for a long time. New can be gotten from all the big media companies basically free online with ad support.

Internet, Facebook maybe the most popular site for networking, but myspace still has a good size too. Twitter is more popular with older people and businesses as they are using it to send quick communication.

Music, Teens buy off iTunes and Amazon. All of them have some sort of mp3 player. Phones are nearly never used, unless your speaking of an iphone.

Directories, phone books have been replaced by google and craigslist. sad thing is google favors large companies over small businesses because of revenue. craigslist is full of spammers which doesn't help.

Marketing, TV still reigns supreme. product placement marketing is slowly becoming more popular as the more channels we have for media (movies, tv, internet, etc.) more sneaky ways of promoting and getitng people interested.

movies, still very popular, just look at the data... but with more films being rated at PG-13 and R less young teens will be going. as they get older their money comes from their own pockets, and not the parents, you see a decrease.

Mobile phones, like the iphone and blackberry reign supreme. phones that can use the internet or have better texting abilities are the more sought after.

HappinessNow
September 10th, 2009, 10:08 PM
OK i'm 25 so I might not be a teen anymore but this is nearly laughable
here is how I see it...

Radio, people still listen, especially in their cars.

Newspapers have been out of style for a long time. New can be gotten from all the big media companies basically free online with ad support.

Internet, Facebook maybe the most popular site for networking, but myspace still has a good size too. Twitter is more popular with older people and businesses as they are using it to send quick communication.

Music, Teens buy off iTunes and Amazon. All of them have some sort of mp3 player. Phones are nearly never used, unless your speaking of an iphone.

Directories, phone books have been replaced by google and craigslist. sad thing is google favors large companies over small businesses because of revenue. craigslist is full of spammers which doesn't help.

Marketing, TV still reigns supreme. product placement marketing is slowly becoming more popular as the more channels we have for media (movies, tv, internet, etc.) more sneaky ways of promoting and getitng people interested.

movies, still very popular, just look at the data... but with more films being rated at PG-13 and R less young teens will be going. as they get older their money comes from their own pockets, and not the parents, you see a decrease.

Mobile phones, like the iphone and blackberry reign supreme. phones that can use the internet or have better texting abilities are the more sought after.According to you, this report was made by teens. Most teens would consider 25 old. :lolflag:

Seriously, it does give us an interesting view in our world today. Thanks for the cool post. :P

koleoptero
September 10th, 2009, 10:30 PM
I find none of that laughable, it quite fits as far as I know. Even the sony ericsson phones.

schauerlich
September 10th, 2009, 10:48 PM
I'm 18. Everything but the Ericsson phones thing is pretty accurate. I'd replace it with iPhones.

cariboo
September 10th, 2009, 10:52 PM
The last time I saw this, it was attributed to a 15 tear old boy in Korea who said email was for old people. :)

gtr32
September 10th, 2009, 10:52 PM
I'm 18. Everything but the Ericsson phones thing is pretty accurate. I'd replace it with iPhones.

I'm not sure the iPhone phase has catched up in Europe yet.

schauerlich
September 10th, 2009, 10:55 PM
The last time I saw this, it was attributed to a 15 tear old boy in Korea who said email was for old people. :)

It is. :) I basically use it like an RSS feed: I subscribe to various places and they send me notifications of stuff that's going on. I occasionally get email from relatives, but otherwise, that's it.

cmay
September 10th, 2009, 10:58 PM
I am a old man the age of 35 and i dont even know what twitter is ???

HappinessNow
September 10th, 2009, 11:12 PM
I'm not sure the iPhone phase has catched up in Europe yet.Good Point!

lisati
September 10th, 2009, 11:19 PM
I'm pushing fifty in just over a year. I've tried Facebook and Bebo, but gave up on both of them - I just couldn't be bothered!

Isn't twittering for the birds, or am I just being weird?

pwnst*r
September 11th, 2009, 12:25 AM
lol @ watching news on tv. what a waste of time. news.google.com = filtering your news from the rubbish that is rampant on network broadcasts.

RabbitWho
September 11th, 2009, 12:33 AM
I can't see the draw of twitter. Usually I can see why people like things that I don't particularly like myself. But twitter I don't understand.

pwnst*r
September 11th, 2009, 12:36 AM
i use twitter, but only for stuff i don't care to RSS like engadget, slickdeals, and some other geekish sites.

Mohamedzv2
September 11th, 2009, 01:16 AM
Let's see:

Radio:Lots of teens still listen to it, I don't usually.
Newspaper:I don't read it regularly, some do.
Twitter:Teens do use it, I don't, and not that many people in my school do
Music:Um,no. Most people have iPods and phones for music, it doesn't matter the income of the family. I myself have only streaming online
Directories:They help. Period.
Outdoor Marketing:I never really see it much and if I do, I read it but don't pay attention.
Cinema:Not much of a social life but most everyone I know who does have a life goes a lot.
Cellphones:This guy is wayyyyyyyyyyyyy off here. At least 3 quarters of teenagers I know have no idea what a Sony Ericsson is. They like the iPhone, or general LG phones found from verizon in the US. And walkman? It shows he's still in the past here.

Irihapeti
September 11th, 2009, 02:30 AM
Something my father told me:

"When I was 15, I thought my father was the most stupid ***** I'd ever encountered.

When I was 20, I was utterly amazed at how much the old ***** had learned in five years."

schauerlich
September 11th, 2009, 09:30 AM

"When I was 15, I thought my father was the most stupid ***** I'd ever encountered.

When I was 20, I was utterly amazed at how much the old ***** had learned in five years."

That's a paraphrase of a classic Mark Twain quote:

"When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years."

HappinessNow
September 11th, 2009, 09:34 AM

I admit I had to read your post twice; the asterisks threw me off! Only once I insert an expletive did it make sense, then I found it very enjoyable and LOL'd! :P

loell
September 11th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Twitter tend to be for grown ups, which is a good thing actually.

Irihapeti
September 11th, 2009, 09:30 PM
That's a paraphrase of a classic Mark Twain quote:

That would be correct. He never claimed it was original. But I didn't actually know who originally said it. Thanks.

gtr32
September 11th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Cellphones:This guy is wayyyyyyyyyyyyy off here. At least 3 quarters of teenagers I know have no idea what a Sony Ericsson is. They like the iPhone, or general LG phones found from verizon in the US. And walkman? It shows he's still in the past here.

Sony could be the teenage choice of a cellphone in UK, where the author lives. Nokia is still the market leader almost everywhere in the world but might not be the choice for teenagers neither in the US or the UK.