PDA

View Full Version : packages from debian sid into ubuntu?

spotspot
September 10th, 2009, 08:37 PM
There are finally packages of the new Electric Sheep for Debian Sid:
http://packages.debian.org/sid/electricsheep

What do we have to do to get this into Ubuntu?

Bachstelze
September 10th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Wait for MOTUs to port it... or do it yourself.

spotspot
September 10th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Wait for MOTUs to port it... or do it yourself.

thanks. what or who is MOTU? i am happy to do stuff myself but i don't believe i have permission to add packages to ubuntu proper.

angryfirelord
September 19th, 2009, 04:58 AM
thanks. what or who is MOTU? i am happy to do stuff myself but i don't believe i have permission to add packages to ubuntu proper.
MOTU stands for Masters of the Universe. Basically, they're just the package maintainers for Ubuntu.

Oh, and electricsheep is already packaged for ubuntu. Just do a sudo apt-get install electricsheep.

spotspot
October 8th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Oh, and electricsheep is already packaged for ubuntu. Just do a sudo apt-get install electricsheep.

that version is obsolete, it doesn't work anymore. how does one communicate with the MOTUs to be sure this doesn't slip through the cracks?

komodo
October 12th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Ok. Might be a good time for me to start with packaging ;)
I will have a look on this.

dinxter
October 12th, 2009, 01:24 PM
you might want to look at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SyncRequestProcess
There shouldnt be any need to repackage something in debian sid

komodo
October 12th, 2009, 06:59 PM
@dinxter: thanks! We are also during a freeze currently so probably it's best to wait until 9.10 is out.

NoBugs!
October 28th, 2009, 03:09 AM
I remember downloading and installing some packages from Debian once, it seemed to work fine. Are there system stability risks or other risks with installing Debian .deb's in Ubuntu?

Bachstelze
October 28th, 2009, 02:26 PM
I remember downloading and installing some packages from Debian once, it seemed to work fine. Are there system stability risks or other risks with installing Debian .deb's in Ubuntu?

The only risk is that since you don't have the repository for that package in your sources.list, the package won't be updated automatically, so you could miss an important security update.