PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Random background script help

Spongeloaf
September 10th, 2009, 07:05 PM
I found a simple and helpful script online (I'm sorry, but i forget who wrote it. You know you're awesome.) to randomly choose a background at login. This is all well and good, except for when I run two screens, at which point the background image gets stretched across both monitors. The backgrounds all vary in size, so setting them to tiled doesn't work. I found one really awesome (http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Trinity?content=81727) image I'd like to use that spans both screens, but I'm lazy, and I dont like having to manually set it each time I boot dual screen.

So, does anyone have the courage/fortitude/awesomeness to give me pointers in modifying the script? (posted at bottom) I simply want to add a few llines like this:

if

second monitor = enabled

then

set background trinity.jpg

else

carry out the script as normalI have only limited understanding of shell script, and if anyone knows how to get the status of the second monitor from X server, that would be very helpful. I'm running 9.04, desktop edition.

Here is the script:

#!/bin/bash
WALLPAPERS=/home/spongeloaf/Desktop/Stuff/desktopbgs

# find the identity of the current wallpaper...
# get the name...
THISONE=`gconftool-2 -g /desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename`

# Chop off the path
THISONE=${THISONE##*/}

# locate the filename by index in this directory
THISONE=`ls -1 $WALLPAPERS | grep -n $THISONE`

# make the grep string into a valid number
THISONE=0${THISONE%%:*}

# get a directory list
ALIST=( `ls -1 $WALLPAPERS` )

# get the number of lines in that list
RANGE=${#ALIST[@]}

# programmers trick to make a 'while' loop that runs at least once...
lastnum=1
number=1

while [[ "$lastnum" -eq "$number" ]]; do
# Now randomize until we have a new number that is not the same as the old one...
let lastnum=$THISONE
let "number = $RANDOM + $lastnum"
let "number = $number % $RANGE"
done

# Set wallpaper to selection indexed by new "number"
gconftool-2 -t string -s /desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename $WALLPAPERS/${ALIST[$number]}Thanks.