PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] application load - big delays after upgrade to Jaunty

aravindprasad
September 10th, 2009, 05:39 PM
I have a desktop which was blazing fast in Intrepid. Then about a week ago, I upgraded to Jaunty using the upgrade option in the Update Manager. Now everything takes infinite time to load. The system itself is not slow. So if I open Firefox or OpenOffice, they will take a good 2 minutes to open. Once they are open, they work normally without any speed issues. Similarly, when installing updates, the Update Manager (or synaptic Package Manager) take a lot of time to load. Once they load, they are smooth and fast though. But again when I try to install an update (or a new package), the packages download very fast and then it takes about 10 minutes for each package and sometimes almost an hour for big packages like Java. Updates which used to take like 5 minutes before now take overnight and are sometimes running in the morning too.

This kind of behavior is visible even during startup. Intrepid used to startup in about 30 seconds and now the system takes 4 to 5 minutes.

I asked a lot of my friends who use Ubuntu and some of them said they had no clue while a few others said that its always a bad idea to upgrade an Ubuntu installation and that I should try to install Jaunty from the scratch. I have a lot of custom applications (beyond the standard packages) that I installed and configured and do not want to go through the hassle of a new installation as I use this machine for my work everyday.

Please help me out. I am willing to provide any information as may be necessary. So feel free to ask me (if possible, suggest the commands to run too).

Thanks in advance and regards.
-Aravind

PS: Posted in General Help before I realized this is probably a more relevant place. Apologies for double posting.

Elfy
September 10th, 2009, 06:00 PM
To start with I would look in dmesg - System > Admin menu - Log File Viewer. Find the dmesg entry on the left - once opened you can search on the right for whatever it is that is making the boot take longer.

The numbers are the time stamp - mine goes from 0.0000 to 20.00000 for instance - check yours and report what is halting the boot.