PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] installed and updated, now just desktop with no icons

Brascocampbell
September 10th, 2009, 03:41 PM
really,no nothing.just desktop background.
i can move to different runlevels to access a terminal.
what and how do i restore my desktop?not even sure what is broken here.
thanks a million !!

scott

Vector_Matt
September 10th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Do you still have the application bar? Did you have any non-system icons on the desktop before?

If the answers are yes and no respectively, try going to "Applications" - "Settings" - "Desktop" and clicking the "Icons" tab, then make sure the default icons have check marks next to them.

If that doesn't work, or if you had other icons there too that are missing, then we'll need to wait for someone else's input.

Brascocampbell
September 11th, 2009, 04:50 AM
Do you still have the application bar? Did you have any non-system icons on the desktop before?

If the answers are yes and no respectively, try going to "Applications" - "Settings" - "Desktop" and clicking the "Icons" tab, then make sure the default icons have check marks next to them.

If that doesn't work, or if you had other icons there too that are missing, then we'll need to wait for someone else's input.

my comp just has the desktop back ground.nothing else at all.

Brascocampbell
September 11th, 2009, 04:42 PM
anyone? bueller?

Brascocampbell
September 12th, 2009, 03:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6ARb0tKucI:popcorn:

Brascocampbell
September 12th, 2009, 08:30 PM
ok i have some info to share.
i re installed yet again,and left a pic on the desktop that i used for a background.
thru the options to open with from that pic,i can get a gui and open my filesystem.
before i did my updates the comp was all working just fine.i update then i lose the desktop.i *think* this is a gconf issue error code 3354
i can change in and out of all runlevels. and i have limited access from the "desktop" area.it otherwise boots fine,and i have wireless internet and wired as well.

thanks for any help---

scott

Brascocampbell
September 14th, 2009, 04:37 AM
i moved on with EEEbuntu.
seems light and did not hose my install at update.
minor things to adjust and work out,but that is more than i was being able to do with re mix.