PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I can't install ubuntu 9.10 ! help please

Uglamugla
September 10th, 2009, 01:23 PM
hello i've made the upgrade to the ubuntu 9.10 but i want to make a fresh install of all the system, i've burn a image to a cd, but when i reboot the cd doesn't start, don't show me that message like "if you want to boot from the cd press any key". what can i do ? when the pc is rebooting i can't see anything to enter de bios to change de priority on boot

Cumps

Partyboi2
September 10th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Hi, to enter the bios depends on what sort of system you have. Try pressing the Delete key at boot. If no success then try either F1, F10. If still no success at getting into the bios then post your Make and Model of your machine.

ronparent
September 10th, 2009, 02:06 PM
If you examine the directory of the cd you will find only the original .iso file you downloaded. You need to use one of the sveral programs that will convert and burn the iso image to a cd with all the individual files from the isp image. Iso buster comes to mind though if you search the net you will fine several (I presume you will need one of the windows versions).

bumanie
September 10th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Most computers use either delete or F12 to enter bios - can't see it will hurt trying either one at boot and see if they work or not. I know most manufacturers put splash screens to advertise themselves and hide important information like you are wanting to find, but I have always found some indication of what button to push to get into bios or boot options - mind you they flash up very quickly and sometimes I have had to boot 5 or more times to be able to see the options, by reading one at a time. You could try looking up the manufacturers website and see if there is information there for you model of pc. I don't know of any model of motherboard that makes BIOS inaccessible, but some manufacturers make it hard to find.

Uglamugla
September 10th, 2009, 02:49 PM
it's very strange because befor i upgrade to ubuntu 9.10 i could go to bios, now any of those keys make me go to the bios, it starts with a screen of asus and intel, then to go to grub option i must push escape, then i have 4 options, karmik koala.karmik koala recovery, etc, i have made a short movie to show what's going on on this pc,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR856r8Zci8

my pc is an asus m51vr series

Uglamugla
September 10th, 2009, 03:23 PM
and the problem isn't from the cd, i install it on a another pc with no problems :X

can you help me ?

ronparent
September 10th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Disregard my prior post - it made no sense. In regards to entering bios, I can tell from your movie that there is only a very short inteval to enter the bios. You not only have to know which key to push but practically the exact instant to push it! On my later boards which boot very fast I have resorted to requiring a one letter password to complete the bios boot which better enables me to time the bios entry keystroke. My Asus MBs enter bios with del. Good luck.

Uglamugla
September 10th, 2009, 03:57 PM
in the end of movie i show something like GRUB> can i do something starting here ?

ronparent
September 10th, 2009, 04:10 PM
No. By the time grub shows you can no longer get into bios. The keystroke to enter bios has to be before the Asus splash screen ends.

Uglamugla
September 10th, 2009, 04:30 PM
maybe if i format the pc from the inside of ubuntu i will be able to do a fresh install

Partyboi2
September 11th, 2009, 12:42 AM
maybe if i format the pc from the inside of ubuntu i will be able to do a fresh install
For the Asus notebooks it should be the F2 key, From the moment you turn your notebook on keep pressing the F2 key, you may need to have a few goes at it till you get access.
You can not format Ubuntu when Ubuntu is running, you will need to boot a cd to do that, but that brings you back to having to enter the bios to set priority boot sequence.

Uglamugla
September 11th, 2009, 05:56 PM
that i problem i already solved it thanks, pres f2 in the right moment make me enter in bios.

but when i tried to make a fresh install of 9.10 when it gets to the part of the log in, the screen get back over and over again to that slapsh screen.

now i'm running ubuntu 8.10, liltle bit older, but working fine, execpt the brightness... it's always the same problem...