PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Tar.gz installation

sennin-sama
September 10th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Hello, I need help with installation of tar.gz packages, after extraction wen ever i run d command "./configure" i get the error message "bash: ./configure: No such file or directory" i don't know wat to do. any help?

lisati
September 10th, 2009, 10:07 AM
You need to do a "cd" to the folder where the extracted data files are before running the ./configure command.

realzippy
September 10th, 2009, 10:07 AM
what are you going to compile?

knepig91
September 10th, 2009, 10:09 AM
After you completed the ./configure command. Type: make, then: sudo make install, then you are done

zipperback
September 10th, 2009, 10:10 AM
There are usually a couple of different files in the directory when you uncompress a tar.gz file package.

Look for README, INSTALL, and CONFIGURE

Read those, as those usually have some very specific installation information for the application you are trying to install.

Also, you will need to be in the directory that you just uncompressed your files to when you are executing the ./configure command.

So if you uncompressed filename.tar.gz on your desktop and the new directory is called "filename", you would open a terminal window and change to that directory with the following command:

cd ~/Desktop/filename

Then you should be able to compile and install the application as you normally would.

It would be easier though, if you installed the application in question using a .deb package from either one of the repositories or see if the developer has a .deb package for Ubuntu available for download.

- zipperback
:popcorn:

karthick87
September 10th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Before compiling you have to install build-essential by running this command in terminal "sudo apt-get install build-essential" it is used for compiling..