PDA

View Full Version : Audio player of your choice?

Virogenesis
February 6th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Which media player do you most prefer and what features would you like to see added in the future?
Post your reasons and what have you....

My fav is the famous BMP fork BMPx not only does it support winamp 2 themes but it has label support...Think Gmail
It has a library and is very much like winamp infact I'd say its better.

If you vote other please state what you use

ardchoille
February 6th, 2006, 08:43 AM
I like xmms.. it does what I need :)

zAo
February 6th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Banshee

Rhythmbox with cover-display. Love it ;)

TechSonic
February 6th, 2006, 08:50 AM
XMMS gets the job done where the rest of the media players like Totem and Rhythmbox just don't cut it. Rhythmbox drops streams and Totem has jerky video. Mplayer takes care of my videos, but not perfect on some.

Vlammetje
February 6th, 2006, 08:52 AM
I play all my audio and most of my video in Xine.

briancurtin
February 6th, 2006, 08:53 AM
rhythmbox, but i am liking Listen very much. far too early for it to get my vote though. things need to be ironed out before it goes full time as my audio player.

NeoChaosX
February 6th, 2006, 09:08 AM
Amarok. I've grown tired of themeable media players, want something that fits in my desktop look-and-feel, and I am a Kubuntu user. :p

Lovechild
February 6th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Rhythmbox, I love it's Podcast support

Simian
February 6th, 2006, 10:16 AM
Banshee ;)

Perfect Storm
February 6th, 2006, 10:29 AM
BMP at the moment after a long time with xmms.

Wolki
February 6th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Muine. Happy times now that development is picking up again.

frodon
February 6th, 2006, 02:00 PM
You forgot muine, banshee and quod libet in your poll which are really good players too ;)

Personally i use rythmbox and i love it :)

engla
February 6th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Listen is probably going to be hot. I'm using it for evaluation mostly right now, but it can pretty much replace rhythmbox for me.

midwinter
February 6th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Xfmedia, simple and not bloated with things i'll never use. I do wish it could sort by filename though, I hate id3 tags.

Sheinar
February 6th, 2006, 02:29 PM
BMPx is still a little too early in development for me to use as my main audio player, but it definitely looks promising.

I've been using amaroK quite a lot lately. I think the built-in last·fm support is a big reason for me to stick with it.

xmastree
February 6th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Beep, or Rhythmbox if I'm looking for something in particular.

What's banshee? If it ain't in the repos, it ain't in the poll... he he.

I hate id3 tags.
Tags? Tags are great. Tags rock. Tags allow you to find tracks by an artist even if they're buried in a compilation album somewhere.

BTW, Easytag is the best application in the world. Ever.
If you've downloaded... erm, I mean, ripped :rolleyes: a CD and the files aren't tagged properly, you can fix them really fast.

Let's say the files are like:
VA - Best Rock Songs Ever - 05 - Led Zeppelin/Stairway to Heaven.mp3
That's rather a messy filename, so, fire up easytag and sell it to first tag the file using: VA - %b - %n - %a/%t and it will fill in the tags.
Then tell it to rename the file %a - %t and it'll become:
Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven.mp3
Which is much more manageable. :cool:

stimpack
February 6th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Amarok, or if I just want to play single track/radio stream or sound effect XMMS.

frodon
February 6th, 2006, 02:47 PM
What makes the difference for me, and it's why i'm stick with rythmbox, is to have a good desklet to control my player because i like to control my player on each desktop and see the cover of the album. And there's a wonderfull rythmbox desklet for that here : http://gdesklets.gnomedesktop.org/categories.php?func=gd_show_app&gd_app_id=271.

That's why i use rythmbox ;)

xequence
February 6th, 2006, 03:19 PM
http://www.foobar2000.org/

I might have to try it in wine in ubuntu on my new computer though =P

Jay_Dogg
February 6th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Quod Libet & Ex Falso, they've got everything I need.

awakatanka
February 6th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Amarok all the way and in xp i use http://www.mediamonkey.com/ almost the same option as amarok.

All those skin type players i have abonded because the lack of options ability's. Amarok has almost all i need.

Orunitia
February 6th, 2006, 04:21 PM

It is in the repos.

xequence
February 6th, 2006, 04:24 PM
I hate id3 tags.

How can you not like id3 tags? -.-

joey111
February 6th, 2006, 04:31 PM
amarok

midwinter
February 6th, 2006, 04:55 PM
How can you not like id3 tags? -.-

Because I have no need for the extra information, to me it serves no purpose and only complicates things. Similarly I also have no need to see album covers or know what the artist ate for breakfast this morning.

Often, id3 information is incomplete or misspelled, so now not only do I have to rename downloaded mp3s to my standard, I have to fix (ie. remove) this useless information too. I remember loading my mp3s into rhythmbox, many of them have no or incomplete id3 information so they are simply listed as unknown or something. The program can't simply list by filename (why?..) so now I have to go add id3 tags to all these?

I did play with easytag a while back but found it easier to remove every single id3 tag.. rythmbox can't deal with this but xfmedia actually manages okay.

pmj
February 6th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Because I have no need for the extra information, to me it serves no purpose and only complicates things. Similarly I also have no need to see album covers or know what the artist ate for breakfast this morning.
That all music library programs seems to ignore file names is something that bothers me too, but id3 tags can be very useful, especially when your collection is large. For example, you can with a few clicks play all your jazz music, which could be 50 different artists and even more albums, a task that would be very difficult without tags.

eriqk
February 6th, 2006, 08:45 PM
amaroK, because it's the Mother Of All Players. I was pleasantly surprised with the dynamic mode.
I've always disliked Last.fm for some reason, but maybe I'll try it out sometime soon.

On my laptop, BMP has been roxx0ring the boxx0rz.

Groet, Erik

fuscia
February 6th, 2006, 08:54 PM
xmms. it does what i want, it's light and i like messing with the skins.

mcduck
February 6th, 2006, 09:06 PM
MPD. And NCMPC for interface. The new GMPC looks very cool too, I can't wait to get that running ;)

I also think both Amarok and Rhythmbox are nice, altough Listen might replace them both on my desktop some day. I've used BMP/XMMS/Winamp so long that I still need one around too, when I want to play some single audio files.

There are so many very good players for Linux that it's getting hard to choose which one to use :D

Malphas
February 6th, 2006, 09:46 PM
foobar2000 in WINE. And trying to navigate my music collection (over 10,000 tracks) without tags would be an impossibility.

ssam
February 6th, 2006, 09:52 PM
muine and rhythmbox

muine has a great interface. very fast to use for playing an album or song. it would be nice if they could fit a playlist generator in (one itunes i used to use party shuffle with a "played more than 4 times AND not played in the last 48 hours" rule, which works well when you have lots of complete albums, but don't neccisarily want to listen to everything.)

rhythmbox is good for an itunes style player. its good to see things like DAAP (itunes music sharing) support arriving in the newer versions.

Wolki
February 6th, 2006, 10:18 PM
muine has a great interface. very fast to use for playing an album or song. it would be nice if they could fit a playlist generator in (one itunes i used to use party shuffle with a "played more than 4 times AND not played in the last 48 hours" rule, which works well when you have lots of complete albums, but don't neccisarily want to listen to everything.)

Try Ruffle (http://www.informatics.sussex.ac.uk/users/mrm21/ruffle/), a plugin for Muine that allows automatic playlist generation and filling; it also has statistical features and a music browser.

Peter Johansson (http://www.tenslashsix.com/) has taken maintainership of muine and is planning on implementing new stuff like music groups, gnomeVFS and DAAP support. :)

Minyaliel
February 6th, 2006, 10:35 PM
I'm usually using Amarok, although I do have several others aswell (xmms, rhythmbox, muine and more). Still, I've settled down with amarok after switching to Kubuntu - I often listen to music as a kind of background thing during classes, so I just load all of my music files onto the play list and set it on random mode - I'll never be bored another lesson ever again ;)

xmastree
February 7th, 2006, 12:14 AM

It is in the repos.
What's it called? Banshee just brings up voodoo banshee related apps.

erikpiper
February 7th, 2006, 01:07 AM
XMMS on old laptop. Amarok on desktop. Would use BMP if it actually had doublesize feature........

Harry_Sack
February 18th, 2006, 10:20 PM
Prokyon3 and different players. I don't reaaly think that any of them have what it takes. Except Prokyon is the best I have ever seen for its use, which I am just now starting to discover.

eriqk
February 18th, 2006, 11:24 PM
For some reason or other, amaroK broke on my machine. So, while I'm finding out why and if/how I can fix it, I'm rocking Muine. Not as feature rich as amaroK, but still very nice.
On my laptop, I use BMP. I'm trying to compile BMPx, but without any luck.
About BMP: where can I find that pale gray/whitish skin I see on every screenshot? I've tried Freshmeat, Gnome-look and other sites but I haven't found nice subdued themes like it. I don't like the beige look the Ubuntu version has.

Groet, Erik