PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 3.5 Users: Does Youtube's HTML5 preview actually work for you?

purgatori
September 10th, 2009, 02:34 AM
I tried it, and couldn't get any love. Only by opening the stream directly, through the mplayer plugin, could I actually view the video here: http://www.youtube.com/html5

In Google Chrome, on the other hand, it worked like a charm. Isn't FF3.5 meant to have full HTML5 support? (or at least enough to run embedded video?)

j.bell730
September 10th, 2009, 02:35 AM
I've tried it a few times, too, it's never worked for me.

orlox
September 10th, 2009, 03:56 AM
Nope, just a black screen...and many black screens on the side on related videos...

Sunflower1970
September 10th, 2009, 04:13 AM
Nope, just a black screen...and many black screens on the side on related videos...

Yep, me too. Tried FF 3.6alpha, 3.5.4pre, and Chrome. Nothing but a black screen.

Frak
September 10th, 2009, 05:11 AM
Plays in Chrome on Windows, but that's it. No volume control, fullscreen control, anything.

MasterNetra
September 10th, 2009, 05:23 AM
Black screen on Firefox 3.5.3 too.

murderslastcrow
September 10th, 2009, 05:55 AM
Haha, that's RETARDED, to be completely politically correct about this. I'm sure it'll all be there in Karmic, but it still sounds kinda' odd that Firefox on Linux is lagging behind for some reason. Windows gets seamless HTML5 first? That just sounds wrong. We don't want HTML5 to be like Flash when it's open-source, do we?

Lol, I can't wait until this starts working. Until then, I'm going to be thoroughly bothered.

mcduck
September 10th, 2009, 06:19 AM
I tried it, and couldn't get any love. Only by opening the stream directly, through the mplayer plugin, could I actually view the video here: http://www.youtube.com/html5

In Google Chrome, on the other hand, it worked like a charm. Isn't FF3.5 meant to have full HTML5 support? (or at least enough to run embedded video?)

Most likely the problem is in the video codec used by Youtube, since while different browsers now have support for the new video tag, they all support different video formats.

Opera and Firefox only supports Ogg. That's the standard, and only free option.
Chrome supports both Ogg and H.264. (Only Ogg in Chromium)
Apple refuses to support Ogg.

Since most videos in the normal Youtube use H.264 compression, most likely this site also uses that format.

MaxIBoy
September 10th, 2009, 06:42 AM
Even after going into about:config and enabling HTML5, no it didn't work. Likely due to the codec issue mentioned earlier (as the file was an MP4.)

No biggie. Just right-click and select "view video." Works a treat. You don't even need a flash ripper anymore!

purgatori
September 10th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Most likely the problem is in the video codec used by Youtube, since while different browsers now have support for the new video tag, they all support different video formats.

Opera and Firefox only supports Ogg. That's the standard, and only free option.
Chrome supports both Ogg and H.264. (Only Ogg in Chromium)
Apple refuses to support Ogg.

Since most videos in the normal Youtube use H.264 compression, most likely this site also uses that format.

Ah, that makes sense; thankyou for the explanation. The that I linked to is most definitely not using ogg -- it is an mp4 file, probably using H.264 as you say.

jrusso2
September 10th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Strange, I ran it in VLC and in the demo it shows the demo running in Safari.

I didn't know Safari even did HTML 5

phrostbyte
September 10th, 2009, 07:36 AM
Strange, I ran it in VLC and in the demo it shows the demo running in Safari.

I didn't know Safari even did HTML 5

Actually Safari (WebKit) has excellent standards support. The only major web browser that doesn't support HTML5 video right now in form or another is IE. :)

phrostbyte
September 10th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Firefox 3.5 can only play videos in the Ogg Theora format. Videos on Wikimedia sites (Wikipedia) or the Ubuntu Podcast uses Ogg/HTML5. Ogg Thoera is a completely free codec in the VP* family of codecs (similar to what Flash uses already) and it supports HD video.

Example:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Apollo_15_launch.ogg

This should work on FF3.5 in Ubuntu

purgatori
September 10th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Actually Safari (WebKit) has excellent standards support. The only major web browser that doesn't support HTML5 video right now in form or another is IE. :)

Does IE even plan on supporting it, I wonder?

And I'm not impressed by Apple's refusal to support ogg, I must say. I kinda wish that Google had decided to go the ogg way with Youtube as well, since using restricted codecs goes a long way to undermining the multiplatform benefits that HTML5 was supposed to deliver.

aldld
September 10th, 2009, 02:23 PM
It doesn't work in Firefox for me either :(

It worked fine when I tested it in Midori (webkit). All I could do, really, was watch the video. I couldn't do anything else.

Starlight
September 10th, 2009, 03:56 PM
It doesn't work on Firefox, but it seems to work well in Chromium. It also doesn't work in Arora.

Ric_NYC
September 10th, 2009, 04:27 PM
It doesn't work in any browser I tried (Chromium, Firefox, Arora, Opera...)

Is it a joke?

matthewbpt
September 10th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Chromium should be able to play it if you also install the chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-nonfree, this one has the h264 as well as the ogg.

purgatori
September 10th, 2009, 05:50 PM
I tried it in Opera 10, and was merely greeted by a message that I needed to view the page in a browser that "supports HTML5"; so no dice there :)

madjr
September 10th, 2009, 11:37 PM
dailymotion
http://blog.dailymotion.com/2009/05/27/watch-videowithout-flash/

pwnst*r
September 11th, 2009, 04:23 AM
worked in safari and chrome under windwows.

did not work in ff, IE, or Opera under windows.

didn't work with either Opera or FF under linux, but i don't have chrome installed.

karenyyng
March 29th, 2010, 11:35 PM
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/83149
after installing this add-on (together with the firefox mplayer plugin installed) i can view some of the videos in youtube in html5 format.

However youtube videos seem to load more slowly with html5 and the mplayer plugin. I would not recommend using html5 to view youtube videos.

dreamsburnred
March 29th, 2010, 11:38 PM
Youtube HTML5/Vimeo HTML5 will ONLY work in chrome/safari at the current time. The HTML5 video they offer is not true HTML5 Video in the sense it uses Apple's H.264 decoder. Firefox/IE/Opera can't pay for licensing and as such do not have the codec.

Chrome frame on IE will work though.

.OGG HTML5 Video is not supported on either site but is supported in Firefox/Chrome.

Crunchy the Headcrab
March 29th, 2010, 11:43 PM
Youtube HTML5/Vimeo HTML5 will ONLY work in chrome/safari at the current time. The HTML5 video they offer is not true HTML5 Video in the sense it uses Apple's H.264 decoder. Firefox/IE/Opera can't pay for licensing and as such do not have the codec.

.OGG HTML5 Video is not supported on either site but is supported in Firefox/Chrome.
How does using H.264 make youtube "not true html5 video"? I thought that was the problem with HTML5 video in the first place--that it didn't specify a standard format!

dreamsburnred
March 29th, 2010, 11:59 PM
How does using H.264 make youtube "not true html5 video"? I thought that was the problem with HTML5 video in the first place--that it didn't specify a standard format!

Ya no specified format makes it a problem.

Now CBS/New York Times are using HTML5 for iPad...with guess...H.264.

Would be nice though if sites other then mozzila supported .ogv html5 as well eventually H.264 will not be free to use :(.

Frak
March 30th, 2010, 12:03 AM

1. It would be very costly for YouTube to provide ogg versions.
2. Mozilla and Opera can pay for H.264 licensing. Mozilla doesn't do it for "freedom" and Opera is cheap.
3. YouTube fully complies with the HTML5 spec. The W3C is a format-agnostic consortium. H.264 is just as valid as ogg.

dreamsburnred
March 30th, 2010, 12:13 AM
1. It would be very costly for YouTube to provide ogg versions.
2. Mozilla and Opera can pay for H.264 licensing. Mozilla doesn't do it for "freedom" and Opera is cheap.
3. YouTube fully complies with the HTML5 spec. The W3C is a format-agnostic consortium. H.264 is just as valid as ogg.

1. In storage and formatting times yes but YouTube is owned by Google...

2. A H.264 license is $5,000,000 and its almost the same for any company who wants to provide videos with the same decoder.

3. Didn't say they didn't comply.

Psumi
March 30th, 2010, 12:25 AM
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/83149
after installing this add-on (together with the firefox mplayer plugin installed) i can view some of the videos in youtube in html5 format.

However youtube videos seem to load more slowly with html5 and the mplayer plugin. I would not recommend using html5 to view youtube videos.

Will it work with totem or gstreamer-based players such as parole? If no, I won't bother.

Tibuda
March 30th, 2010, 01:03 AM
Will it work with totem or gstreamer-based players such as parole? If no, I won't bother.

I suppose so. And VLC too. Why don't you try it?

Frak
March 30th, 2010, 01:17 AM
2. A H.264 license is $5,000,000 and its almost the same for any company who wants to provide videos with the same decoder.

$5,000,000 is chump change for Mozilla.

Psumi
March 30th, 2010, 01:20 AM
I suppose so. And VLC too. Why don't you try it?

It works with totem :D

Also, it takes like... 20% less CPU!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-73zYoUsd4 << HTML5 Markup Video

dreamsburnred
March 30th, 2010, 01:26 AM
$5,000,000 is chump change for Mozilla.

It's a foundation not a corporation.

Frak
March 30th, 2010, 01:29 AM
It's a foundation not a corporation.
Wrong, it's both.

Ian dewhurst
March 30th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Edit my bad doesn't work either remember to disable flash.