PDA

View Full Version : Job hunting advice

Thelasko
September 9th, 2009, 06:06 PM
I've been out of work since May 1st and have had no luck finding a job. Most weeks I find it difficult to find 5 jobs to apply for to meet my unemployment requirements.

I've been told to network but that just isn't working either. My previous employer considers the use of networking sites such as LinkedIn to be "disseminating proprietary information" and threatens to fire and/or sue anyone that posts their employment history on the internet. Because of this, I have no references or networking contacts from my previous employer. Since this was my first real job, I'm left with only contacts from college. Unfortunately, most of my college contacts are not in my field (mechanical engineering).

Does anybody have some advice?

frrobert
September 9th, 2009, 09:16 PM
I don't think your old employer can sue you for posting your resume on Internet as long as you don't list proprietary information. But that being said doesn't mean they may not try, so I would keep your resume to generic data. Also I'm not a lawyer so I could be wrong.

One technical placement company I can recommend is Aerotek, http://www.aerotek.com/

I have had a relationship with them for over 13 years and I find them a good company.

The other thing is network with your professional organizations. As a business owner I go to Chamber of Commerce events and have developed many business relationships through those events. In your case I would recommend finding local events sponsored by Engineering groups and go to those events to meet people.

Most jobs come by word of mouth so the more people you know the better.

Also go get business cards to give to people, when you meet them. You can get free business cards from vista print http://www.vistaprint.com/. The free cards look nice and are on good stock. The only cost is shipping which if I remember correctly is about $6

Volunteer your services to a non-for-profit, it gives you more experience on your resume and again you are networking with more people.

Thelasko
September 9th, 2009, 10:12 PM
They claim that the company's org chart is proprietary, and that posting the position you held on the internet is divulging that knowledge. This hasn't stopped me from posting my information, but it has stopped just about everyone that I worked with.

I've worked with <Beep> in the past. I must say that I'm not impressed with them.

Thanks for the advice.

MikeTheC
September 9th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Your previous employer is out of their mind with that kind of attitude. They're also pretty stupid, too, as suing an unemployed ex-employee isn't the way for them to obtain financial satisfaction.

t0p
September 9th, 2009, 11:21 PM
I've been told to network but that just isn't working either. My previous employer considers the use of networking sites such as LinkedIn to be "disseminating proprietary information" and threatens to fire and/or sue anyone that posts their employment history on the internet.

That is a bunch of crap. Your employment history is your history, you can post it anywhere you like.

Times are hard, but positions come up nevertheless. You just got to make yourself look as good as you possibly can. And remember: this recession will end.

Whiffle
September 9th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Does your school provide career services to alumni? You might get in contact with them, even if they say they don't, they might have some tips. After all, sooner or later they'll be calling you looking for donations.

And really, networking is the key in this job market. Make up some business cards, they don't have to be anything amazing, and hand them out to anybody who might know someone who is looking for an ME.

Polish your resume, and have at least 5 people proofread it, the more the better. I usually taylor mine to the particular job I'm applying for, and then keep track of which version you send where.

Are you looking all over the US, or just locally?

EDIT: And finally, follow up on any resume you send out. Call them within a few days and see what they are looking at. Similar for interviews, as soon as you get home, no matter how the interview went, send them a thank you note.

And don't be afraid to send resumes to people that aren't in the HR department. HR departments suck, and most people know this. If you can find your way around them and have a contact with someone inside the department you're aiming for, all the better.

earthpigg
September 9th, 2009, 11:30 PM
My previous employer considers the use of networking sites such as LinkedIn to be "disseminating proprietary information" and threatens to fire and/or sue anyone that posts their employment history on the internet.

lol, no.

obviously, they are trying to scare employees away from quitting.

are you friends with any other prior employees of that company? use them as a professional reference, and explain during the job interview why you are not using any present employees of that company.

the person interviewing you is going to do the same thing the rest of us in this thread are and will be doing:

WTF, no wonder you no longer work there! what a crappy freaking company to work for!

aesis05401
September 10th, 2009, 12:39 AM
If you are into engineering then you will have more luck bringing this up with the maker community. Getting involved in a showcase project or even just providing guidance on technical matters for n00b makers will instantly expand your network.

Additionally, cultivating contacts in the industrial art and science fiction pools can yield small dollar consulting work (ie: is my flame-throwing pipe-organ designed within tolerances for my materials, or are my fictional extrapolations realistic with regards to the forces involved in process X type stuff respectively)..

Anyhow, this is where people I have known have found success. Make sure you read a couple body language books as well.. maintaining and projecting a calm confidence should always be priority #1 when you are out of work. People respond really well to that sort of thing ;)

Mateo
September 10th, 2009, 12:44 AM
Don't be afraid to use fluffy language in your resumes. Some people make the mistake of underselling themselves. Not wanting to take too much credit for something, or not wanting to overstate your abilities is common. You don't want to give the impression that you're an expert, then when they start asking questions they come to the conclusion that you're not, and think that you are a liar.

It's a cynical look at your own skills. Be bold about what you can do, but be honest too. That will help you get more interviews, and when you get into the interview, blow them away your your intelligence.

I would seriously consider hiring a resume writer. You can find these services online. When i was looking for a new job in 2008, I went about 5 months with only 1 interview. Then I hired a resume writer and the next week I landed 2 interviews, one of which turned into my current job.

Thelasko
September 10th, 2009, 08:46 PM
If you are into engineering then you will have more luck bringing this up with the maker community.

Like as in Make Magazine?

LowSky
September 10th, 2009, 08:52 PM
are you still in Chicago?
http://www.ides.state.il.us/

use it to your benefit

Thelasko
September 10th, 2009, 09:07 PM
are you still in Chicago?
http://www.ides.state.il.us/

use it to your benefit

Been there, done that.

Irihapeti
September 10th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Maybe this guy has some useful ideas:

http://www.asktheheadhunter.com/

Thelasko
September 10th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Maybe this guy has some useful ideas:

http://www.asktheheadhunter.com/

Interesting website. At first it made me want to gouge out my eyes, but after some poking around I found the relevant part. Seems to be outdated and can be summed up in one sentence.
Most job hunters project the attitude "I'm looking for a job" rather than "I'm here to do the work you need to have done".
Unfortunately, I already have several calls from headhunters. All say I'm an excellent candidate, but then admit to having no clients.

Right now I'm trying to branch out on LinkedIn. I saw somewhere that 80% of employers find employees through LinkedIn. I'm not sure I believe that statistic though.

Thelasko
September 10th, 2009, 10:17 PM
One technical placement company I can recommend is Aerotek, http://www.aerotek.com/

Oh, I emailed my rep there and it turns out he got a promotion. Apparently my file got lost in the transition.

Blacklightbulb
September 10th, 2009, 10:23 PM
maybe irrelevant link (http://engineering.careerbuilder.com/JobSeeker/Jobs/JobResults.aspx?SB%3Asbkw=mechanical+engineer&SB%3As_freeloc=Chicago%2C+IL&SB%3Asbfr=30&sbsbmt=Find+Jobs+%C2%BB&cid=US&excrit=QID%3DA3852778835992%3Bst%3Da%3Buse%3DALL%3 BTID%3D0%3BCTY%3DChicago%3BSID%3DIL%3BCID%3DUS%3BE NR%3DNO%3BDTP%3DDRNS%3BYDI%3DYES%3BIND%3DALL%3BPDQ %3DPDQ464%3BPDQ%3DAll%3BPAYL%3D0%3BPAYH%3Dgt120%3B POY%3DNO%3BETD%3DALL%3BRE%3DALL%3BMGT%3DDC%3BSUP%3 DDC%3BFRE%3D30%3BCHL%3Den%3BQS%3Dsid_unknown%3BSS% 3DNO%3BTITL%3D0%3BOB%3D-modifiedint%3BJQT%3DRAD%3BJDV%3DFalse&IPath=JRGCM)

mamamia88
September 10th, 2009, 10:27 PM
just when you stop looking you will find a job trust me.

Thelasko
September 10th, 2009, 10:35 PM
maybe irrelevant link (http://engineering.careerbuilder.com/JobSeeker/Jobs/JobResults.aspx?SB%3Asbkw=mechanical+engineer&SB%3As_freeloc=Chicago%2C+IL&SB%3Asbfr=30&sbsbmt=Find+Jobs+%C2%BB&cid=US&excrit=QID%3DA3852778835992%3Bst%3Da%3Buse%3DALL%3 BTID%3D0%3BCTY%3DChicago%3BSID%3DIL%3BCID%3DUS%3BE NR%3DNO%3BDTP%3DDRNS%3BYDI%3DYES%3BIND%3DALL%3BPDQ %3DPDQ464%3BPDQ%3DAll%3BPAYL%3D0%3BPAYH%3Dgt120%3B POY%3DNO%3BETD%3DALL%3BRE%3DALL%3BMGT%3DDC%3BSUP%3 DDC%3BFRE%3D30%3BCHL%3Den%3BQS%3Dsid_unknown%3BSS% 3DNO%3BTITL%3D0%3BOB%3D-modifiedint%3BJQT%3DRAD%3BJDV%3DFalse&IPath=JRGCM)

Yeah, I've applied to all of those.

Sad, isn't it?

Thelasko
September 10th, 2009, 10:59 PM
just when you stop looking you will find a job trust me.

I have to keep looking if I want to collect unemployment.